CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OAC Winter Golf

Golf Nut sabzor is on a distinguished road

OAC Winter Golf

Has anyone signed up for this in the past? I'm looking for options to continue working on stuff throughout the winter and this seems like a viable option although is expensive. Just looking for thoughts/opinions.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I just looked at it - $600+ kind of ruled it out for me. I hear it is good though - I just wouldn't get my $'s worth.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I joined 8 or 9 years ago...price has gone way up but so has everything else. I really enjoy my winter golf at OAC...went about 3 times per week and my game really improved. If you do join, my only advice is to stick with 1 or 2 instructors you like and have the same swing philosophy. I remember i had one instructor give me advice and then another tell me something totally different.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    I've joined for this year so I can't report what it's like but I am sure looking forward to it! I'll report after March for anyone considering it for next winter.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I went 2004-2007, first year the OAC ran it. I think the GM of the OAC now (Marc ?) was the pro, then Kevin Haime took over for my last two years. The Haime years were better as it appeared to be more structured, and from reviewing their web site the same structure is still in place. There was nothing I did not like and the advice about picking your insturctor(s) is good and true. Open basically from 0700-2300 and you will have instructors on the floor for about 10 hours a day. I thought there was more than 22 hitting stations before. If you go at peak times it will be take a number and only hit for 30 minutes. They have all the toys to monitor you endlessly. If it was like when I went they do a complete analysis then give you 2-3 things to work on, when you are done they will video/monitor you and if all satisfied you can move on. You move at your own pace which is good also. If you are able to be disciplined and go 2-3 times a week for hitting, drills and tips then the price is well worth it. I was not able to do that so quit due to the cost. Colin Orr is the school director and is very good to deal with golf/personally/business wise. I think I paid about $545 the last year so the cost has not gone up that much and if you go often enough ( 10/mon) then you could be getting lessons/coaching, practice all aspects of the game and analysis for $10/visit.

Golf Nut sabzor is on a distinguished road
    What did you guys do with regards to clubs? I can see it being a pain to bring your whole bag back and forth. Did you just bring a couple you wanted to work with, or was there storage there (not that I would trust it)?

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabzor View Post
    What did you guys do with regards to clubs? I can see it being a pain to bring your whole bag back and forth. Did you just bring a couple you wanted to work with, or was there storage there (not that I would trust it)?
    i think they have lockers for additional cost. I only brought a few clubs in a sunday bag.

There were lockers along the wall from the main desk area behind the tennis courts. There were regulars who kept their clubs there. I usually decided ahead of time what I wanted to do and took only those clubs I needed. I don't recall if there was an extra charge, but that sounds reasonable.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    is it just hitting into a net 10 feet in front of you? or can you actually see your ball fly for a bit similar to hitting at a golf dome?
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    into a net ~10-15 yards away.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    They have an open house Oct 28/29/30 Friday 4-9 & Sat/Sun 10-5
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Please start another thread. This one is to discuss the program at the OAC
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Colin and the guys at the OAC are great. It's nice that you have a few months to work on things so you don't need to rush changes. I've taken lessons from several of the guys on the teaching roster both with the OAC and otherwise. I had a lot of fun working on things during the winter and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to improve.

Albatross freddyottawa is on a distinguished road freddyottawa's Avatar
    I just signed up this morning. The layout looks impressive though not everything is setup yet. I saw on their site that they have a practice bunker? I forgot to ask about that when I was there, just wondering if they had one last year and if anyone can comment on how that was?

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Went in this weekend and spoke with Colin for a little bit. They now have Ipads & Galaxy Tabs to record your swing to use with the VH1 (I think that is the name) swing reader software, to record body position / swing plane, and he is also expecting an new highspeed camera in the mail !! This will be great for people looking for video feedback !!
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Quote Originally Posted by freddyottawa View Post
    I just signed up this morning. The layout looks impressive though not everything is setup yet. I saw on their site that they have a practice bunker? I forgot to ask about that when I was there, just wondering if they had one last year and if anyone can comment on how that was?
    Have not played/practiced there in a few years. Used to be located in the back right side (SE) corner. Fine sand in a box/pit about 10x12 and hitting into a net. Don't know if they have moved or improved it. Better than nothing, but sand is not what you'd get here at a public course.

Albatross freddyottawa is on a distinguished road freddyottawa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Have not played/practiced there in a few years. Used to be located in the back right side (SE) corner. Fine sand in a box/pit about 10x12 and hitting into a net. Don't know if they have moved or improved it. Better than nothing, but sand is not what you'd get here at a public course.
    yup, it's still in that same place, I guess I just never noticed it tucked away in the back when I went to sign up. I agree that the sand is not nearly the same, but it's certainly good enough and beats the alternative of nothing at all this winter for me. I've been 5-6 times and have enjoyed the facilities so far.

2Low4U
    The OAC is a great place to work on your game. Not only for its first class instruction from some of the areas top teaching instructors (Bob Flaro, Colin Orr, Marty Bertrand etc..) But just to keep the feel of a golf club in your hand throughout the winter. Even if its just hitting into a net 20 yards in front of you just keeping that feel is key. The putting green and sand pit are great for practice as well. The camera swing analysis is second to none and the majority of the pros working first hand with you know exactly what to look for.

Highly recommended to anyone looking to get their game to the next level or someone just looking to have some fun!!

See all OG members who have bought a membership around the club!

Cheers

2Low4U

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    I've been 4 times now, after waiting for my knee to recover from surgery, and had my Initial Assessment last night. Yikes!! How I could possibly be a 10 handicap with that horrendous swing is beyond me! Lots to work on.
    As everyone else has said, the Pro's are excellent! First day, Bill corrected my grip, what a difference. And although I think Luke must be crazy for telling me during my assessment last night that my swing is "pretty decent" with the majority of it good parts and only minor repairs needed, he sure knows what he's talking about.
    So far I definitely would recommend the OAC Winter Golf school to anyone who is looking for winter practice and instruction.
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

Thread Information