CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy golfun is on a distinguished road

Fat & Thin, Toe & Heel Height Measurements. Which sims read it?

P3Pro Measures club data and can read (to whatever degree) those measurements.

How do other sims like Protee handle that? I see it has a place for Deviation.
    Do they measure the ball and then estimate where they think it hit on the club face and what angle the face was(toe & heel height)?

Haven't really seen any other sims that say they get a direct measurement from the club data for that data set.

Do you think that part is accurate on your sim or just a close enough calculation?

Thanks

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    What do these measurements so for you in the simulation of the ball flight? The ProTee measures heel and toe position as well as face angle and path very well. I am sure GSA is similair. The simulation is based on what the ball does.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    i think at the end of the day i am learning i am more concerned about fall flight simulation. we can feel where we hit it - fat, thin, toe, heel so don't need the sim to tell me. i just got off the course and unfortunately had several thins and toe hits which are still fresh on the brain. i doubt the p3 sim simulates the ball fllight based on those shots well but that is one i haven't tested so i can't say for sure. so far to me it looks like a good choice is gc2 since it measures the spin after you hit it if that is what you are looking for. it looks like if you chunk, blade, wipe, the ball in theory it measures what actually happened to the ball. it doesn't need the club head estimated data to then estimate the ball spin. i will know for sure when i test it on tuesday. i just would caution assuming the analytics on some of these sims are to the first decimal place and assuming that means they have that precision. the few i tested so far on the club head side were off though gave the impression with all the analytcs that it had that precision - ie club head speeds on the IR sensor matt didn't match my radar device i placed next to the tee that is accurate for club head speed.

Well you should get the GC2 which I am sure you will be happy with. The unit has good reviews and I am sure you will be happy. There are many people who have the GSA/Protee/Pro7 sensor based units and are happy. These units do require more work in setup, calibration etc but once setup they are great especially at a much lower pricepoint than the GC2. Thin shots etc show up verty similair to the GC2 for these units and they get clubdata. The GC2 will be getting club data very soon but it certainly will not be cheap.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    My Golftek Pro 7 device can technically measure toe/center/heel hits, but I didn't even bother developing that into my interface (I created it myself). You're right...we know if we hit it toward the toe or heel, and the bottom line is that the impact of that comes through in the ball speed (which my device measures). Ball speed is the single most important indicator of a solid shot. You can swing 98MPH and hit the ball farther than a 108MPH swing if it's a more solid connection. More than anything, when practicing with my driver I'm watching ball speed and launch angle (assuming I have a nice draw shot shape). The thin shots come through in the launch angle, and fat shots come through in low ball speed. One thing I have encountered on my device is that fat shots can push the fiberbuilt strands down so they cast a shadow on the sensors and it can produce a VERY closed face reading. I trimmed them back slightly but don't want to trim too much...the fact is that I don't hit the ball fat enough to go so far as to cut in back further - my tendency is more toward thin.

I agree. Just played a round today and certainly like on the real course, my tendency is to hit it thin. The fact that the sim measures ball speed, launch and and direction will give the much needed info on the nature of how solid one hits the ball. The spin will give the info on the curvature of the ball which I think the sensors measure well enough, not perfect but well enough. Nothing is perfect not even the GC2.

This is interesting. Can you explain how the units that "estimimate" spin bsaed accurately pick up these shots - chunk, thin, cut, draw, knockdown, etc - i don't me just registering the shots, how do the accurately measure the ball flight with spin? from what i seen they had a hard time with it.

What system are you referring to? The DD and P3pro will not register these shots very well I agree. The ProTee/GGS/Pro7 will all measure the ball launch, speed and direction and give a very good idea of the ball spin. A thin shot will run low with the distance depending on the software terrain penalty. A chunk will slow down the clubhead speed for sure. Remember though that a chunk on the sim (no matter what sim) will behave different than a chunk on real grass due to the hard mat. Maybe this will be different with the divot action mat which I am getting interedted to look at. Cut, draws, knockdowns all behave fantastic with these sims as long as you have good ball data. I think the launch angle is the most important for these as you can estimate spin well with club data, but you can't estimate launch angle at all.

gc2 seemed to register these shotes well since it measured spin in addition to LA. i know the awful feeling of thin and toe all too often.

Thread Information