100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar

$20 Per Iron Head for re-epoxying?

Does this seem right? Just had 4 irons which had loose heads taken apart and put back together by a local dealer. $80 plus tax. I couldn't believe it! Am I out in left field or are they? What would you pay?

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    My 3 iron head flew off at the range and I gave it to my pro-shop to get done. Cost $15 and they didn't even do it on site, had to be sent away.
    Even I've never heard of me

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    this is where its best to use one of the guys on this board that does this kind of work. Not sure if that's expensive or not but they are running a business so who knows.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Did you try Golfworks on Industrial?
    Their prices are pretty good.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    There are a few good club builders here that would never charge you that much.

This is what I thought. The Saint was out of town so I went somewhere else......from now on I'll just wait. Thanks guys.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    First off, let's take a look at what is involved to do a pro type job

Measure length, swingweight and total weight. For this, you would need a swingweight scale, a triple beam weight scale and a 47" ruler with a jig to set the club properly for lenght.

Put the club in a clamping device and lock it tight in a bench vise.( assuming we are working with steel shafts )

To save the original ferrule, if worth saving, you have to potect it from the heat that will be applied from the propane torch with a cold wet rag or use a new ferrule.

When the head is removed, you have to clean out the hosel with solvent and a special brush and/ or a Dremel tool with a sanding disc or .....

Then you have to drill out the epoxy inside the tip of the shaft or drill a small hole if there is a weight tip if present or drill out the cork if led powder is present.

Now you abbrade the shaft tip without damaging the orginal ferrule.

Dry fit the club and check the 3 measurements to see if they jive.

Adjust accordingly.

If lead powder was originally used, then you have to remove the grip and proceed as one would adding the correct amount of powder and ram the new cork in.

Mix the proper epoxy for the job, not the $5,5min. stuff. Make sure there is no air lock in the shaft, if so, take care of it.

After the epoxy has set, turn the ferulle down ad buff it or use acetone to pretty it up.

There are a lot of corners that can be cut with this procedure based on the equipment that is required to do a proper job and simply re gluing the head.

There is a significant amount of $$$ invested in tools and equipment to do it right , not to mention liability insurance and the cost of dooing buisness.

For the guy who got it done for $15, That's a fair price and I hope for your sake, it was done properly as outlined.

As you can see, it is not rocket science but it does require the proper tools, equipment and time to do a good job.

With me, $20 is the charge, taxes in for first timers. The more I see you, the better the rate.

Well I feel better now if all of that stuff was in fact done. No way to know for sure though. But if loyalty is taken into consideration at said place of business and a person had spent a few hundreds of $$ at this place over the years, $20 per is too much. Oh well to each his own opinions I guess.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Reminds me of the old issues we faced when I was in photography. Customers would complain that $15 for a 5x7 print from the wedding pics was high when they could get a print at Loblaws for $1.25. Of course the photographer's experience / time, the studio, staff, retouching services and the thousands of dollars worth of equipment invested in the business were overlooked.

Yes it can be had cheeper. But is the lowest price always the best deal?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Couple questions.

Did you touch base with the original clubmaker and asked if he could fix it for you?

Did you ask the local dealer for a price before you told them to go ahead?

Did you ask the local dealer if he performed all the tasks described by downhillslider?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Answers listed below.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Couple questions.

Did you touch base with the original clubmaker and asked if he could fix it for you? He was out of town.

Did you ask the local dealer for a price before you told them to go ahead? Yes, I knew the price and couldn't believe it but needed them done right away.

Did you ask the local dealer if he performed all the tasks described by downhillslider? No, I did not know all of these steps.

Putter Gooder is on a distinguished road
    Hi all:

Downhillslider definitely brings up many valid points. If your work was done for $20.00/club (and it was done right), I think ya got a bargain. There is a great deal more to the art of clubfitting and club building than just cut & glue.

Regards,

Bert

Driver north52step is on a distinguished road
    You get what you pay for. However that being said, if there are members here ie the Chief, who in fact have much experience, then good to look their way. I am sure the good ones would say if they are in over their heads on a project. But for what the original thread said, seems like the Chief or similar is the go to guy.

thanks.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Personally I think $20 for a job like this well done is just fine

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    I'll glue my own putter heads and shafts, but will leave the clubs that travel at higher speeds to the experts...

Thread Information