CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter MSD4141 is on a distinguished road

Still have questions after alot of reading

Hello Everyone,
    I want to start by saying thanks for all the info that has been posted. I want to get a sim to get going indoors. I have done a lot of reading, but still a little confused. I will start with what I have, and what I know. I will initially be setting up in my garage. I have a laptop to use for the time being until I build a dedicated desktop. I have the NET RETURN net to hit into, I have a 4ft X 5 ft high qaulity stance mat that cost around $400 that I could cut a hole in for a sensor mat if needed. I have a runner turf that is 2ft X 8ft that came with the net return. I have a HD projector currently setup in my theater room that can be easily moved for a few hours of golf.

I think swinging the ProTee might be a little much for me right now. I also would like something a little more than the P3pro. I was wondering if I bought the PX1 or PX2 lite to start with if that would be a decent way to go? I want something upgradeable in the future. (IE cameras, maybe E6 courses) Right now I really want to keep myself active in the winter to improve my swing if possible, and I am hoping the sensor pad will help with that? If I get just the PX1, can Iwork on my swing with that or is there more neccessary equipment needed? I do not know if I should buy courses with it now or just wait to upgrade to E6 courses later on? I will stop writing for now and wait for some input to make sure I am making sense Thanks for the info, and yes I will keep on reading all the post over and over. I am just so new to the sims.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Sensor based with cameras are a good way to go. All depends on your price point. You can look at getting the PX2 and eventually upgrading the cams later. That may cost you more in the long run compared to the PX5 package that has the cams included. You can also look at a Protee sensor without the putting pad that will include the cams at probably a loer price than the PX5. Call Cory, Protee and GSA to get the best price. The products are very similair in performance. There is no doubt that the Protee support is awesome in my experience. They are constantly improving th sim and the later email from them hinted the addition of a spin cam add on in the future.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Great advice bubba22.

Definitely give all of them a call. Somebody got a quote on the Protee base sensor from Cory for around $4000. Martin from GSA just posted recently that he will negotiate on the price of the PX5.

If your budget doesn't allow for the Protee or PX5 at the moment, the PX2 lite is a good way to start. You get one GSA course and 20 Prox courses and the ability to add on courses, cameras, etc... I'll warn you that ProX courses can't compare to GSA courses.

I would not recommend the PX1. It does not detect club path.

The standard E6 package sells for $2500. RedChain should give us a glimpse of their new graphics engine come Spring time. Both GSA and Protee should be able to upgrade to it. Not sure what the cost to upgrade will be, if any.

I've already mentioned this in several places but, the main difference between Protee and GGS is the putting. The Protee requires putting from the sensor mat unless you get the optional putting sensor. The GGS also requires putting from the sensor mat but, when you add cameras & a trigger(making it a PX5), putting is done from behind the trigger on a putting surface.

Thanks for both of the replys so quickly! I am a little confused about the terms GGS and GSA being used. Are they the same company or product? I thought that the PX1 was the same as PX2 lite except for the added courses? The Protee has to have lights above it correct? Does the PX2 have to have lights? It did not look that way. Are the lights that big of a deal? I am just thinking about the future when the room is all done, and you would want it somewhat dark like a theater room correct? I am sorry for all the questions. As stated before I am going to go back and keep reading a lot of these posts to continue to learn what I can on my own, as I know you get these same questions over and over. I will call this week to get some prices. I did not know you could get the Protee without the putting to start with. Being able to go modular is just a convienent way to get started earlier without having to come up with $6,000 at once. Like stated earlier the main thing I want to be able to do right now is work on club position at impact hoping that will correct some of my swing flaws( and there are many ) As of this time I shoot between a 90 to 96 depending on the course and the day. Thanks again.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by MSD4141 View Post
    Thanks for both of the replys so quickly! I am a little confused about the terms GGS and GSA being used. Are they the same company or product? I thought that the PX1 was the same as PX2 lite except for the added courses? The Protee has to have lights above it correct? Does the PX2 have to have lights? It did not look that way. Are the lights that big of a deal? I am just thinking about the future when the room is all done, and you would want it somewhat dark like a theater room correct? I am sorry for all the questions. As stated before I am going to go back and keep reading a lot of these posts to continue to learn what I can on my own, as I know you get these same questions over and over.....Thanks again.
    You're welcome.

Both are the same company. GGS is the component division run by the mad scientist himself. GSA is the full simulator sales division run by his wife. GSA is also GGS's brand name of the Red Chain courses. It's a little confusing but here, we try to refer to GGS when talking about the PX2/5 etc.. and refer to GSA when talking about the 75 courses.

The PX1 is a disabled PX2. Think Celeron processor.

Both Protee and PX2/5 are shadow based sensor mats so overhead lights are needed for both. The lights are not a big deal, but the light fixtures need to have cones or blinders on them to help focus the lights onto the sensors only. GGS sells lights with blinders on them.

Yes, do read. Especially some of these new "help me choose a simulator threads".

Well that clears up a bunch! Thank you for again for your quick response. I will definately keep reading. I have read through most of the newest posts 2 to 3 times, and it is definately helping! Thanks, Marc

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    One other thing to keep in mind before you go too far with your setup. The 4 x 5 stance mat you have may possibly not be high enough to be even with the sim component you choose. There is a good chance you will still have to build a platform to get things level. Not hard to do and can be made from framing lumber and plywood. I am just stating this in case you plan to start finishing things off soon. I would not do it until you have the sim you decide on in hand first. You do want your stance mat to be level with the hitting surface.

Also, kudos to Bubba and Zmax -- great simple and easy to understand clarifications about the sims!!!

Thanks Jagmanjoe,
    Yes I will wait until I have decided which way I am going to go before purchasing any components. I am anxious to get started, but I will spend more time learning before I do. I am pretty good at building stuff, so I will be able to get that done if needed. I will not be able to build a dedicated room until next summer, so I will have to be in the garage for this winter. I figure I can mount lights on homemade metal track to hang above the sensors, and will probably not set up a screen to hit into this winter, just my net return. I will just use my computer monitor to play any golf and work on my swing. I know that is not the same as a big screen yet, but this is why I want to be able to peice things together as I go. Thanks again. Marc

Thread Information