100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road

Myrtle Beach-November

Well it is almost time for are annual Myrtle trip and this year we are playing Myrtlewood Palmetto and Pinehills, Arcadian Shores, Pine Lakes and Prestwick. We have never played these courses so wondering if anyone else as and what we can expect. We are staying at a place called the Caribbean so any info on that place would also be greatly appreciated.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Prestwick is nice, though the first few holes are tough. Pretty different than anything else you will play as its a Pete/PB Dye layout.

http://www.prestwickcountryclub.com/

haven't played the others, Pine Lakes is the granddaddy and was re-done a few years ago. The others I believe are on the lower end and if you spent a few more $ you could likely upgrade immensely as it is the off season.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Have played all but Pine Lakes, but it has been a couple of years. We used to stay at Myrtlewood so their two courses were no brainers for us. I'd say they are mid range for courses there and Pinehills tends to play a little tougher than Palmetto, although I cannot recall why. I liked Arcadian Shores very much, my kind of course, big old trees, wide fairways, very forgiving but a pretty course to play. A little old, but that is the only knock on it I can see. Be surprised if you don't like it for the golf alone. Played Prestwick, and would not go back. To expensive for what they charge and had a run in with a marshall there pushing us. Not a good experience. Wanted to, but have not played Pine Lakes. If I recall this is a new version of an old course. Only thing I can say is the comments I read on line is that it is over-priced. Apparently is the home of the South Carolina Golf Hall of Fame.
    How long have you been going this time of year? Always wondered what it would be like later in the year (we go Easter time) and just after they are clear of Hurricane season. Enjoy!
    You might also try this source... www.MyrtleBeachGolfTalk.com . It does contain some very good trip reports on a wide variety of couses, accommodation and social excursions.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Pine Lakes and Prestwick (very challenging) are your 2 best golf courses. The other courses in your group are good regular golf courses.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Lob Wedge Samba-Jane is on a distinguished road
    great stuff. my family might be checking out florida this fall to get a break from the cold. myrtle beach sounds like a nice place to spend a day or two for golf.
    [URL="http://www.SambaDays.com"]SambaDays.com[/URL]

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road

Info

Just want to thank you guys for the info. We are using rain checks for Arcadian Shores so cannot switch that one. On this trip cost was an issue so no high end courses and we got a good deal because all these courses are under same management. One day I hope to play all Myrtle Beach courses from low end to high end but I am only at around 40 after this trip so still a long way to go.
    A poster asked about weather in November and I have been coming down Remembrance Day week for the past 6 or 7 years. We have only had 2 rain out days and those were back to back one year when we got hit by a tropical storm(could of easily been 3 days but we played a flooded course one day) besides that things have been good. High Temperatures usually range between 65-75 and that is ok with us. Last thing we only play 18 per day and we try to grab last morning tee time with double tee courses( around 9:30) because mornings can be cold. One more thing if you plan on playing 36 a day at this time of year could be tough.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    You might want to check out CLUB KEY It is a little like our discount clubs here. The membership is 54.00 single---98.00 for 2 The books are sold at the PGA store. Prices ranges are good-----I'm sure most of peak time restrictions are all gone now. It is also good on Hilton Head where we play for 2 months. You basically get to play 80.00 courses for 40.00. I am not sure of the web address but just google "key club hilton head" and it will come up. The book covers more than Myrtle Beach.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Gap Wedge ClubFoot is on a distinguished road
    Just got back from Myrtle on Saturday night. Myrtlewood greens have been been overseeded and they are watering them regularly (daily) to get them growing. The greens were slow and 30 feet around the greens was very wet. No roll up to the greens and experienced a lot of plugged balls. I would not play either course at this time of the year. However, Pine Lakes and Arcadian shores were in great condition and worth the modest green fees. The weather was in the mid 70s. Great golf weather.

Have fun!! We did.
    Last edited by ClubFoot; 11-20-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Thread Information