100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Looking forward to the full review Zmax. On the resolution, it goes a bit without saying. Just like one of those panoramic 3-screen setups would show way more objects and scenery (wider field of vision) than a single 16:9 screen. (Not trying to knock what you're saying - it is obviously valid and improves the immersion factor for those with wide projection screen setups)

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    You're absolutely right rdh. I actually wanted to post this in the Trugolf Technique thread also to show that the Trugolf rep didn't really give me a true answer. I always wondered why the Trugolf's premium simulator used a 4:3 screen and now, I'm even more puzzled. At that price, they should have gone all out. Protee uses a 16:9 image on a 14ft wide screen and the height is plenty.

But to be honest, the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 is minimal. Coming from a home theater experience, I'm just plain picky. The review will have more important things.

The physical setup is the bigger limitation. In my hitting cage, I have a 9.5' x 9.5' impact screen. A 4:3 image comes close to filling the height (well, a foot short on the top and bottom). I couldn't have fit a wider cage in my garage, so if I wanted a 16:9 image it would have only filled a portion (a bit over 1/2) of the vertical height on the screen. I expect they were dealing with a similar limitation.

On the home theatre side, I completely agree. When I put a movie on for my kids on the simulator screen, it's 16:9 all the way...but doesn't fill a lot of the height.

Yup, mine is a dual setup and the HD movie takes priority over simulation image height.

Another thing, my review will talk about the differences between low and high resolutions.

Sounds great Zmax!

I'm planning to hang tight for the time being, but we'll see if your review sways me. Between red chain working on their next gen release (which we may be lucky to see in 2012) and the Creative 3D software, I'll wait a bit to see how things shake out. If TruGolf were to add a true ball cam (fly with the ball from the point of contact) to E6 though, I'd be much more swayed...

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Really looking forward to the review ZMax. I want to upgrade to a full HD projector soon.

Hey guys - A couple things I never thought to ask about E6... How are the load times? Does it just load one hole at a time, or does it load the whole course into memory (like GSA) so you can play onto adjoining fairways, etc.?

Loads everything into memory and it's fast.

Loads the whole course at once like GSA. Yes, you can play adjoining fairways.

Agree. Loads fast.

I heard back from TruGolf and my contact there is going to check with his developers on the camera options. I told him I wouldn't buy without the true ball cam (fly with the ball for the entire shot).

Hey bubba - Have you played the Grey Wolf course at all? I'd love to see a few screenshots of that one to see how it compares to their promo video where Grey Wolf looks spectacular. (When you get a chance )

Might be a while before a review is coming, sorry.

So...I just got a reply back from TruGolf about my "true ball cam" request. He said that "it's already implemented. Once you move forward (with a purchase), it's a setting one of our support reps can adjust for you."

Interesting...I gotta admit, that was the thing I liked the least about E6 (lack of that camera). Bubba - you may want to contact them or ProTee to see how you can get the camera working that way. I'd love to see a video showing how it looks...I've asked TruGolf if they can post one somewhere for me. If it is a true ball camera, it may get me thinking a bit more about taking the plunge...although it's still a lot of $.

Hey ZMax - is the delay for your review due to time constraints, or have you had a setback getting E6 working?

There's been a delay in getting the security dongle that would allow all the courses to be playable. You would be wise to hold on to your money. I already have good idea about E6 engine but I need to see some of the newer courses to confirm.

The E6 is Trugolf's bread and butter and I need to provide a lot of proof if I'm going to post a disappointing review. The E6 has been put on a pedestal but I have yet to see why.

I hold the opinions of you and bubba up there with the greatest world leaders in history, so I'll definitely wait for your review ZMax. In the back of my mind I know I should hang tight and see how red chain does with their new engine...I just get ansy every now and then. I played GSA today for a couple hours and I loved it, so I should just appreciate what I have for now. I still drool at some of those E6 screenshots, but if it's comparatively weak overall (especially given the price) then so be it. A pretty picture ain't everything...

One thing that did look odd to me in the videos I've watched is the ball flight. It seems unnaturally...low and the speed is off or something. In those videos of pebble beach on page 1 of this thread, it didn't look like a nice wedge lofting into the air and floating toward the green. More like an up and down bounce or something.

Anyway, looking forward to the details from you.

I have a feeling about those screenshots, so when I'm able to, I will be comparing them to what I really see.

Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    I hold the opinions of you and bubba up there with the greatest world leaders in history
    Well, speaking of myself, it's probably not be wise for you to continue doing that either...

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Exactly, RDH on all points regarding golf software and Bubba and Zmax.

Got to see more of the E6 and took lots of screen shots. The playability and it being too forgiving(Protee is currently addressing this) has already been talked about so I will open a new thread to discuss the E6 graphics.

9 Iron cbear2 is on a distinguished road
    How or who are you guys talking to at Trugolf to get these software questions answered? Ive sent a few emails to there software engineer and a couple of calls into the sales dept. and have got no response at all regarding increasing the spin rate like was done for the protee application. I own one and am not getting a response thats dissapointing. Not wanting to bash the company maybe there is a reason why no response yet but its been a couple of weeks.

It may very well be the "potential buyer" vs "already customer" phenomenon. In some cases the sales etc will bend over backwards for potential buyers and return emails, answer questions etc. Once you are a customer they have you by the ?#$#^% and getting a response is slow. Keep trying cbear2. I do hope they will increase the spin or allow for you to increase the spin in E6. Its defenitely needed.

If I went with E6 at some point, I would need to write my own interface like I did with GSA Golf (for my Golftek device). The nice thing is that I would be able to effectively increase the spin in the opposite way to what I did with GSA Golf. I initially found spin rates too high on GSA Golf...the slightest bit open/closed would miss the fairway by a lot. I couldn't feed in spin data (not part of the interface DLL), so my workaround was to adjust the club face and path that I fed into the software to reduce the relative openness/closedness (is that a word?) and thus reduce the calculated spin rate. So, if my swing was 4 degrees in-to-out with a 2 degree closed club face (so 6 degrees relative closed face), I would feed GSA Golf a reading of a 3 degree in-to-out path with a 1 degree closed face...reducing each side a bit to reduce the calculated spin rate. I then had my own overlay window for shot analysis showing the REAL readings...if you look at shot analysis in GSA Golf, you see the adjusted bogus readings.

I would think ProTee could do something along those lines (but the opposite approach - increase the readings) as a workaround to increase how shots are shaped in E6.

Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    I would think ProTee could do something along those lines (but the opposite approach - increase the readings) as a workaround to increase how shots are shaped in E6.
    The E6 will accept spin numbers. Protee can and will probably have adjustments for those numbers directly.

Cool. I'm sure GSA is the same - I know foresight feeds in their spin numbers. Just the interface I used from Martin did not support a spin input (which was fine as I didn't have spin numbers to feed in anyway - I need to feed in club and path data and have the software calculate the spin).

GSA currently does not except spin numbers. A update from RedChain is needed. It would be a feature request I think. Protee has total control of their simulation software so it's not an issue.

Thread Information