CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar

E6 on ProTee Review

Recently purchased the E6 for the ProTee and I am overall thrilled with it. I would certainly give it a nudge over the ProteePlay (as we all know this is essentially Custom Play/ Red Chain/ GSA etc) but by no means would I say it is amazingly better. The graphics for the E6 is defenitely nicer in my mind. They both are different and I would say complement one another. They do have some similair courses but the majority are different courses. Here is the breakdown:

1) Courses - Both E6 and ProteePlay have a good variety of courses. Custom has some fantasy courses whereas E6 from what I see are all real course. They have plent of differentt courses which is nice to play new courses.

2) Graphics - I would certainly give the edge to E6. The course detail seems a bit better but not by a mile. The trees are slightly better but what I found to be really better is the terrain and slope of the fairways etc. As well the depiction of the water ripples etc is better. It really is more notacible on E6.

PeableGSA.jpg

PebbleE6.jpg

I suppose the graphics will be in the eye of the beholder (my wife is the prettiest girl in the world) but I think the terrain certainly stands out.

3) Ball flight- For sure I would say the edge goes to ProteePlay. The ability to tweek the ball flight ever so slightly is needed for E6. The E6 does have a smooth ball flight with a good video card but is more forgiven than the ProTee. ProTee will be adding the ability to tweek the ball flight in their interface at some point. The actual camera views have more options in ProTee for sure as well. Though that sounds great, for practicality sakes I never changed the cam views and basically just used the ball cam view. For those that like more views, then the Protee is better. In E6 you have three camera views - Classic, ball cam and TV cam. I like the ball cam option as you see the ball flighing from a standstill and then it shows it in flight and landing. The option to replay shots is the same for both. The one nice thing about the E6 is that you can change the size ofthe ball. this is a really nice feature as when you select large ball size, it really accentuate's the ball in flight. You would have to play it to see what I mean.

4) Practice - Both have great practice areas. ProTee has a few ranges which are similair. E6 has a practice range, chipping and putting area as well as a scoring zone. The practice area is very nice in E6 and I would have to give it the edge over ProTee. The scoring zone is nice as you can set your target and play to that area just like the Big Break. The stats are kept as well showing longest, shortest, average and current shots. On course practice is better in the ProteePlay than E6. In ProTeePlay you can drop the ball anywhere and practice that shot dstance. In E6 while playing the course, you can select on any "In round practice", and play that shot. I don't think you can drop the ball anywhere though, or at least I haven't figured that out yet. However you can select the hole you want to play on the course.

PracticeE6.jpgDriving RangeE6.jpg

5) Info Screenshot - I really like the layout of the E6 club/ball info display. It is easy to see the club and ball stats. I would certainly give it a plus/plus compared to ProteePlay. Perhaps the GSA graphic display is better but I really like what E6 has done.

ScreenshotE6.jpg

6) Game features - No real difference here,. The game features such as wind, rain, time of day etc are the same. As well there is closest to hole, long drive etc. You can load and save games etc.

So overall, would I recommend E6 -----> YES

The reason I like it is that it complements the CustomPlay engine. There are different courses such as Chateau Whistler, Banff Springs, Torrey Pines, Pinehurst #2, Troon North etc. compared to Protee Play. It gets a definite nod in terms of the graphics especially the terrain. The practice area is nice as well. I wouldn't say that it blows the CustomPlay out of the water but I like it better overall (now again beauty is in the eye of the beholder). It will be nice once they add a slight bit more spintweeking. The price is not cheap, but if you are looking to add a new look, add some more courses, get better graphics and can afford it, then I would say go for it as you won't be disappointed. I like the ProteePlay and by no means am I putting down the Customplay engine and will continue to play both.

Sorry Z. Forgot Cog Hill.

CogHillE6.jpg

3 Iron walb0034 is on a distinguished road
    Awesome review bubba, thanks! Would you recommend (for those of us just buying sims) skipping the GSA all together and getting the E6 instead? I can't see much reason to have both moving forward, so I'm wondering if you could only have 1, would it be E6?

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    got an errand to do. can't wait to read the whole review.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the review Bubba! I'm glad you're enjoying it...wish I could play it! From the static shots I saw of E6 the water and lighting looked superior to GSA. I think the other thing that's good with E6 is that the courses are professionally mapped/designed by the company so there's probably more quality control/accuracy than some of the GSA ones where hobbyists have created them (not that some of them aren't fantastic efforts though). Some of the courses available for E6 are ones I'd love to have as well (Torrey Pines, Troon North, Grey Wolf). I'll likely wait and see how the next gen. red chain software is looking in the winter before making a decision on what to do, but I am jealous.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    Excellent review, thanks!

Bubba2

What is your computer build pre E6 and now that you are using E6 if different?

* processor brand/model, cores, speed
    * memory
    * graphic card brand/model with amount of memory

Let us know if it runs smooth on max grahpic setting if E6 has that choice.

I was just told from TruGolf they are using the following build for their new Technique Presitge models (shipping this month) and they insure it runs E6 full edition max graphics with no delays. I would be amazed if it runs smooth since its a low end processor and the graphics card is in the middle of the low tier of NVIDIA cards - surprised not even using anything from the GTX line. I did express concerns if I buy their system then need to throw away the All in One Computer / Touch Screen for a new rig if there are delays and again they say it runs smooth. If this is true I was certainly on the vector on gold plating the computer which sounds like it may not be needed.

Intel dual core I5 2410M 2.3ghz with Turbo Boost up to 2.9ghz
    6GB DDR3-SDRAM 1333
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M (1GB)
    7200 RPM drive
    Windows 7 64 bit

Look forward to hearing more about your setup since that will help the rest of us on our builds. Thanks!!

Yup, nice review bubba22. I agree that the E6 would compliment GSA since the most of the courses are different. Looks like you're able see more detail and differences with your 720p projector. The E6 that saw was not displayed by an HD projector. If they add the option to tweak the ball flight, that would make it perfect. I will also wait to see Red Chain's new engine. If that disappoints, I will probably pickup the E6.

If you have time, can you email me some high res screen captures of pebble? i.e tee box, fairway, and 50-60 yard approach, etc...

Thanks

I5 320, 6 Gig, ATI 5570 1g

Yes I think waiting for the new Red Chain is not a bad idea. I will probably get that as well. I have no regrets for the E6 and like I said would recommend it for those that want to complement the GSA courses. I will try to send some high res shots or post some if possible.

Walb0034 I wouldn't recommend skipping GSA all together. Like I said they complement one another and certainly there may be some who would like GSA better. I like E6 somewhat more but who knows, maybe that is because it is a new toy. like how we love our buddies driver until we actually buy one and then play with it for a while.

You can't post high res pics bubba22. Well, you can but the website will down res them to 800X600.

Ok Z. I can email you the pics.

Thanks for the pics bubba22. Looks like they did a nice job with Pebble Beach. Aside from the mountain in the background, it appears to more realistic than the GSA version. The terrain elevation looks very close to some of the real pictures.

Coghill on the other hand, looks a little different, for hole #1 anyway. Perhaps it was done prior to the redesign. What's your impression of Coghill between the two software?

Again I think E6 wins on looks, terrain. I do think that some of the Custom Play courses are done better than others. Cog Hill is pretty good but the detailin E6 is a bit better.

I just figured out how to drop a ball anywhere on the course and practice that shot. I knew it had to be possible. There is a drop ball option that allows just just that anywhere on the course so ignore that comment on my review.

nice that you can drop a ball anywhere on the course and practice. does anyone know if for e6 or redchain that you can decide to tee off from shorter distances than the shortest tee box on the course. for example if you are playing with a child and they play from 3500 yards can you decide to tee off closer to the hole to shorten the 18? Thanks.

When my sons (3 and 7) play with me, I set them to the shortest tees and also have a large boost factor applied (in my interface - not directly within GSA) so that my 7-year-old can hit the ball around 250 yards. In real life he probably only hits it 80-90. When I first got the simulator (he was 5) I played with him without any boost and it was PAINFUL. It's hard to sit through your playing partner taking 30 shots on a hole. (He may not be the next Rory McIlroy...I was going to say Tiger Woods but based on off-course behaviour I don't WANT him to be the next tiger woods!)

With E6 in demo mode which is stroke play, you can choose different tee boxes with the different players and in fact during course play you can drop closer for the children etc. It is a real nice feature when playing with a child or short hitter. I don't think that can be done with Protee Play or at least I haven't figured that out yet.

rdh - thanks.

bubba22 - this is great news to hear about e6. i was told for redchain my only option is to play from shortest tees which probably are > 5000 yards. i am buying this for my daughter to continue coaching her through the cold months to avoid any down time and alot of Florida travel if possible. Current tournament tees are 2500-3000 yards for her age. this is a big factor for my decision and very helpful. can you explain further how to do this at your convenience? can i play from back tees in stroke play while she drops her tee ball at different lengths for each par3/4/5? very cool feature. is there any impact to "demo" play that you mention such as certain features / capabiliteis are turned off?

No Demo play is essentially stroke play. It allows you to play from the back and others to play from whatever tees or you simply drop their ball at 100 yard or wherever for every hole. It really is a neat feature that I have been using with my son.

In GSA golf (and therefore I assume protee) you can have each player play from a different set of tees. I usually play a mid-to-back tee while my sons play the shortest tees. You're right though...generally they're still fairly long (hence I set up the boost). Having said that, each course has its own tees defined obviously, so maybe there are some courses that do have very short front tees...not sure on that. I do like the sound of that option on E6, but I have to hold myself back and wait to see how red chain's next generation software looks before I look at plunking a few grand down on E6.

Come on rdh. You shouldn't hold yourself back. Just tell yourself that you're adding more course by buying the E6. Martin does have it broken down to different packages/price. How long would it take you to update your integration program to work with the E6?

It's really fantastic that you are able to write a program to get your sim working with E6.

You're not helping at ALL here zmax...i can feel my arm being twisted...and it doesn't take much!

The standard pack with 15 courses is only $2475.

What if the new Red Chain engine is free or just a small upgrade fee?

You are good ZMax. Sold!!!

Bubba22, when you get a chance, could you take a look at some of these E6 screenshots? I don't know the names of these courses, but I would like to know if that's what they actually look like on your system. These screenshots look amazing.

Thanks

http://www.golfsimfactory.com/E6.html

http://www.golfsimfactory.com/E6ss.html

do you know what resolution these pictures are saved in for advertising purposes? ie same resolution you would see on our XGA / WXGA projector or are they saved in Full HD or 1600X1200 that you would get on the computer screen?

Still looking for those exact courses. Quite a few to go through. I have seen some courses with the big boulders and they do look amazing. No doubt the E6 graphics are exceptional. They have some very neat par 3 courses that are perfect or the little ones. Very nice.

If you go to the TruGolf website, you can go to the E6 software and open the Gallery of images. It has the names of the courses along with the images. Some do look incredible (one of the robert trent jones courses stood out to me, and grey wolf) while some others don't look so great (some with very crisp lines for fairway/rough that don't look natural without blending). I think E6 beats the red chain software (from what I can see) in most areas, but the two spots I think red chain may still get the nod (correct me if I'm wrong Bubba) are the smoother "blends" between surface types (eg. fairway to rough) and the number of camera options.

I do drool at some of the E6 screenshots though.

Thread Information