CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gap Wedge Simages is on a distinguished road Simages's Avatar
    Sorry for the delay, but work was very busy over the last few week as classes start back Monday. As you know my room is a bit on the small side 11x14 with 9ft ceiling , but I get no rebound from the screen either. However; I have a slow tempo and my swing rarely exceeds 100mph.....

When I do hit short irons and hit above the screen the impact is softened by the memory foam I install above. If I get any throw back from a high impact, it's from the ball hitting screen-ceiling-floor..... of course you don't want to mis-hit a shot in such a small bay either.

That said; I was thinking about installing something like what your talking about and securing it at an angle from my top frame to the top of my screen display..... Was even considering allowing it to hang down in front if it doesn't block the projection.
    Attached Images

Gap Wedge Qnub is on a distinguished road
    Just wanted to say thats a great setup. Looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Qnub View Post
    Just wanted to say thats a great setup. Looks very nice.
    Aw-Shucks and Thanks, but I owe a lot to TheGolfer for helping me decide and sharing All his research! I owe him a couple dozen golf balls of his choosing.....

I believe I have the GC2 tweaked pretty close and I'm really satisfied with the results so far.
    Attached Images

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    @Simages -

Setup looks great. Glad to hear its done and working as expected.

I am 99% done. I have the plywood/blackcarpet on the ceiling but i need to just add the netting which I tried avoiding to allow for flops, lobs, etc. I just replaced my first screen with westcoastnetting.com PR-20 and pleased. I am looking at either using their PR-20 or their archery netting for the ceiling. Thinking about connecting it close to the top of the screen then bringing it up to the ceiling (11ft and drooping it down somehow to catch the high shots).

Good luck.

Regards,

Hey thanks and I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate your help, opinion and sharing all the research you did. I've been waiting a very long time to this the right way! I know this will help me with my new clubs and my change back to an interlocked grip. I also place a full length mirror back wall to check setup, posture etc....

Thanks again

Regards -

Anytime. Nice idea about the mirror. I have a small wall open that would be good for. Where did you get it?

My wife had picked it up at HomeGoods for $80, she would use similar mirrors for her Pilates training. I have to move it over a bit for my short irons.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Looks great Simages. Your room is tight, how close to the screen? No problems with ball bounce back? Looks great.

80 bucks, great price. i am going to check that out for myself. thanks.

Tight yes and the screen is & feet +- from the unit and ball placement however; surprisingly no bounce back and/or rebound. My club head speed is still under 100mph so, maybe that has something to do with it and my screen is not really taught either. Now if there's a miss hit well, it ricochets.... don't ask me how I know. I do have a westcoastnetting PR-20 just in case I need it......

The 11x14 with 9ft ceiling gives me a full range of motion however; you can't have other folks in the room..... but if my neighbors want to do that we'll the HOA will need to build a room at our club house......

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    For the occassional shank, why not put some netting along the sides that can be taken down when not hitting.

A what?? Shank!!! If I do then I deserve to be hit.... Not too concerned with the occasional miss hit ricochet which is why I have a curtain hanging to protect my PC monitor and RC radios. Sim room also runs my RC flight simulators and of course the PS3.

I just cut out my hitting mat to use my inserts for the sand and rough.

what kind of turf did you use for the rough?

good idea of cutting out patches of the existing mat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
    what kind of turf did you use for the rough?
    good idea of cutting out patches of the existing mat.
    Well... I've had that around for a long while and think It came from Ebay way before Ebay became a retail advertising outlet. It measured 12"x17", but I found this vendor Starprogolf
    who sells sample kits for $25 that include 6" x 6" samples. One is up to 2".......

i just checked out starprogolf's site. never heard of them. the 2" rough turf on the site looks nice. is this the one farther on the right of your cutout1.jpg? how much of the ball is above the top of the turf?

do any of the samples have 1) 50% of the ball is above the top, and 2) 25% above? Curiuos what pile heights they are.

have you tried hitting shots from the turf? do you need any cushion under it to avoid having the club bounce back if applied to a plywood?

appreciate it.

I haven't tried those from that vendor, just stumbled on them and the turf I have and cut was in one piece. Have had it a long time from when I was putting together some other cheap simulators a few years ago. Before I cut them I just set the 12x17 turf on the hitting mat, chocked down and hit from there if I was in the sand or rough. It's all pretty thick, some are more matted then other pieces so I can simulate the depth. I have a 9.5"x12" piece left I you want it.... PM your address and I'll be glad to send it to you no charge.

I think I'm going to order a sample kit from them just to see how the product is.

Regards -

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    Maybe an old thread but seemed the right place. For ceiling protection what about this? http://www.atsacoustics.com/foam-wed...ic-panels.html Oriented with the ridge horizontally it should flex to stop the ball?

2 Iron stevnkrn is on a distinguished road
    Funny you should mention ceiling netting. A couple of hours ago I finished adding netting to protect the ceiling of my simulator room. I had originally planned to drape the netting between cables stretched tight between the side walls. I changed my mind and ended up stretching my netting tightly between the walls. I used eye screws mounted on the side walls and used zip ties to attach the edge of the netting. It looks very clean. I've only hit a few wedges into it so far but it seems to work well. I did not angle my netting. It is parallel to the floor about 1-1/2 feet from the ceiling and extends from the screen out 7-1/2 feet toward the hitting position.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    Unfortunately I only have 8 foot ceiling height. I just clear the ceiling with the driver so need something that doesn't hang down too low. I thought of carpet tiles but they are heavy and not actually that thick. Foam panels seem a good combination of weight and absorption but I have no idea if they would absorb a golf ball's energy.

7 Iron shoot4one is on a distinguished road
    stevekrn, what do you think the minimum clearance could be from ceiling with the netting? What neting did you go with? I only have about 6 inched if I make my pictures as large as screen. I am planning on tight archery netting from westcoast and a black out curtain, I hope that does it!

shoot4one, that basically depends on high tightly you can stretch the net. I can't imagine 6" working on a ball hit with any velocity. I have 1 -1/2 feet and have the net stretched pretty tightly. It still deflects a lot with a hard wedge or 9 iron. Keep in mind I stretch my net across a 15' wide room because I project a 1080p image that is over 13' wide x 7 1/2' high. I can only get it so tight over that span. If you have a narrower net you might have better luck getting the net tight.

I bought my netting from www.ondecksports.com. So far it is working well. Honestly I have not had it up that long because I just got my GGS simulator working a couple of months ago. I don't know how well it will hold up. I typically only hit the ceiling netting with hard short irons so I can't imagine that it will wear out too quickly.

Working on some home projects and figure I make a modificatino now to the golf room before the fall while i am at it.

i had black carpet on plywood on walls and front wall and front above screen along with ceiling. idea was for protection. with a 9x14 screen even my 7 year old doesn't hit the sides or the walls. I pulled it down from the walls and ceiling.

Question - want to find a net (found one from westcoastnetting.com) that loolks good but could use some ideas for hanginng it being able to take it down when needed without trouble.

my thought was have a hook at the top of the screen on left, middle, right side. Then have hook in ceiling above same left,middle, right. The have siilar left, middle, right hook out 6 feet from screen. attach neeting via grommet on screen hook. then hang 2 foot bungie down from ceiling hooks and let netting just hang from ceiling hooks.

if i shot goes up like lob wedge, sand shots, flops, etc the netting should catch it and ball drop down. but its not permanent where during the golf season i can easily remove for cosmetic reasons.

any thoughts?

any other options. you guys are a lot more active in the creative department than i.

thanks.

7 Iron shoot4one is on a distinguished road
    I hung long 10" eye bolts from the ceiling, running two 6' cables from screen towards the mat on the left and right sides. I bought a long 33 foot x 6 foot wide black material. My room has ten foot ceiling and the screen is 13 wide. Right now it is just hanging from floor over cable, across screen, over other cable, down to floor. It works fine like this, but I am getting it hemmed and grommets installed at two six foot cables. It should slide back against screen very easily and look fine pulled back like drapery.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot4one View Post
    I hung long 10" eye bolts from the ceiling, running two 6' cables from screen towards the mat on the left and right sides. I bought a long 33 foot x 6 foot wide black material. My room has ten foot ceiling and the screen is 13 wide. Right now it is just hanging from floor over cable, across screen, over other cable, down to floor. It works fine like this, but I am getting it hemmed and grommets installed at two six foot cables. It should slide back against screen very easily and look fine pulled back like drapery.
    very cool. thanks for the ideas.

had an idea on using the sun protection textiline product or more flexible canvas or even netting material. somehow connect one side to a cylinder bar roller and roll it up. mount the bar and rolled up material above the screen. have the long 10" eye hooks from the ceiling left, center, and right corners. when in use unroll and hang no eye bolts. when not in use crank back into place. maybe a cheap solid material deck awning with manual crank.

i need to explore the deck awning mounted above the screen. they even have remote control for after use to roll it back up. curious if anyone has ever done that.

any ideas on what else can be on a roller to roll back up when not in use?

Hybrid mathman is on a distinguished road
    I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law. I worry about somehow a ball hitting the projector, mine is a ceiling mount. Has anyone protected their projectors, is there a way to protect the lens. I was thinking of using some kind of wire cage, but still would need a way to protect the lens.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    mathman, I'd suggest plexiglass in front of the lens. If I'm not mistaken, that's what TruGolf uses and their cameras are floor based, which seem more at risk than a ceiling mounted projector.

Ceiling works great - Noodle bar cover not recommended

TheGolfer - I have a ceiling net, and it works quite well. It is not tapered as you describe. It is parallel to the ground. I also tried the split noodle over the bar my screen is hung from. I use 1-1/4" conduit for that instead of angle iron. The ball rebounded off the noodle just as violently as the bar, so I took the noodle down. I attached a couple of old photos of my setup. I posted them a while back but you may have not seen them. That light green panel in the last photo is now covered with carpet, along with two others. All three panels roll along an overhead track. That way I can roll them into position when needed, or keep the doorways open when I'm not in the simulator room. P1080257-1280x853.jpgP1080261-1280x853.jpgP1080274-1280x853.jpgP1080270-1280x853.jpg

Thread Information