100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road

Question Wall + Ceiling Protection Options...

So many of you have such great ideas and insight on this forum I figure I see what you are doing regarding your enclosure / wall / ceiling protection.

It's residiential application. Don't have the budget for a commerical 10' deep enclosure made for commercial settings. Already have nets in my practice room which I want something that looks less functional. Something in between that looks nice but on a budget.

Screen is 13ft wide by 8ft high (16:10)? I was thinking of a mini enclosure where on the left side (facing the screen) 2 feet extension and on the right side 2 feet extension. Then possibly use black curtains on a track left and right to extend out for protection and to keep one side dark for the camera. These could adjust via the track to give more room while not in use. Another option is do left / right 6 feet extension that includes the ceiling but then its permanent.

Not sure what to do about the wall above the screen ~ 11 feet high and the ceiling though.

Also what do you do regarding the lights and camera on the ceiling? Assume you need to cut holes for them so they are not obstructed. If you cut holes then they are at risk for getting hit with lob, flop, high sand shots but I don't think there is anything else you can do.

Any thoughts, recommendations, and/or insight into what you did are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

question on drapes for left/rigth protection and enclosure. looking at building a custom enclosure. Front made from screen 16 feet wide by 9 feet tall. ceiling build a 2x2 frame 4x8 plywood and screw into ceiling then 1/2 inch padding then black carpet stapled to wood. Sides have black drapes hung down from screen edge out 8 feet which are retractable if not in use.

question - any recommendations on retractable black drapes anyone has used or seen?

question - any recommendations on constructing the ceiling protection with 2x2 frame and plywood carpet.

Thanks.

3 Wood cvclub is on a distinguished road

Ceiling Mount

Not sure about how to ceiling mount the projector....I built a floor stand for mine and had the computer on a table w/a 6 ft VGA cord......

Now I am thinking about a new design using the ceiling but I still have to consider the computer location and that has be puzzled.

FYI, I like your side curtain idea as I have a lot of 'rebounds' that can and do cause issues with the drywall!

for the projector thinking about mountingn on the ceiling (vaulted mounting kit with adjusteable extension rod) then have electricion for $100 add an outlet next to it to limit power cord visibility and then run the hdmi up through the ceiling into my attic, run across the room in the attic (open), and then back down to my closet where i plan on hiding the computer. touch screen will be mounted on wall in front of closet in golf room behind the golfer with another power outlet next to that and hdmi through the wall into the closet to the computer. personally i am not handy to do this so i added a few dollars to have someone help me. want to pay handy man by the hour to help versus paying someone to do the job themselves which is more money.

i have been researching the black drape on a "one way curtain rod". pull it out when in use then push back when not. though just learned this week for 6 feet of draped curtain when you pull it back not in use there will be over 2 feet of curtain squished together so now looking to keept them out if i go that rout. learned also they are expensive but heard someone got cheap black drapes from ikea or something. i was told from reseller to get thicker material and add the backing to it which will help stop errant shots sideways (not straight driver direct hits).

another idea which i am close to going with is putting thin inexpensive plywood on wall (or mount on a 2x2 frame first on wall) then add carpet padding and black carpet. lumber is cheap compared to the drapes but still looking into inexpensive black carpet and padding. looking at doing this above the screen and on the ceiling. haven't figured out how to do this on the ceiling though with only two guys. perhaps build on floor frame and put carpet on then have drill up but seems like i need more than two guys holding a 4 x 8 to drill into the ceiling. told the carpet pad and carpet can staple easily to the plywood. told you don't want to put carpet direclty on the sheet rock for when you take it donw it will destroy all the sheet rock and will need to redo the room. another option for ceiling is to get paint black and have black netting draped across - but i have netting in my current practice room and its purely functional (doesn't look that great though).

for my front wall looking at extended the screen to cover most of the wall ~17 feet so it will act as wall protection to eliminate nets or carpet on the front wall.

i will keep you posted on what i am looking at. please do the same perhaps we can learn off each other.

regards,

3 Wood cvclub is on a distinguished road
    Good ideas! My almost golf balls definitely rebound and leave dimples in the drywall! I think carpeting is great idea because it add some sound deafening and reduce rebound distance. I personally do not like the look of netting.

I have an older (VGA) projector and I am not sure how far the cable can travel...certainly not as easy as the hdmi scenario...fyi, for my screen I used 18# vinyl and had it made at my local boat shop.....10x10 for $180.....I can hit any type of ball into it and it shows the graphics well!

have fun!

may want to look on newegg.com or tigerdirect.com for any cable extensions for your VGA projector. Not sure the type but may be worth a look. I did here USB has extendors. Not sure if DVI or others do but on the surface it seems like they should.

7 Iron tahosrfr is on a distinguished road
    Anybody looking for specialty cables, extensions, or any electronic cable whatsoever, goto monoprice.com. I bought everything I needed to mount my projector and stereo systems. High quality stuff, extremely low prices, and fast cheap shipping (i sound like a commercial) but its no b.s.

GL.

Decided on my enclosure today. I am going to pay a contractor of mine by the hour and I will be his helper for the day. Actually is very reasonable to as a contrast where I have been going laterly

Going with 9 x 14.5 screen for 16:10 mode sim and 16:9 for movies.

Front right / left side - build a 2x4 structure to extend from the wall and cover with thin plwood then with special black carpet with padding via stapling. I wll have this on the sides that extend to the 18' 11 walls.

Above the screen - build out to screen 2x4 structure same with plywood + carpet/padding

Right Wall - don't need plywood on wall if not gluing. apply straiight carpet/padding with staples. removeal doesn't damage plywood. Need to make cutouts for return vents on the central HVAC.

Left wall - with this size don't need one.

Ceilign remove to overhead lights. cover ceiling ~ 8 feet from screen (need to measure highest flop shot angle) with thin plywood. apply carpet/padding but since it son the wall and plywood apply quick carpet adhesive then quicklly staple down. All this can e pulled off the sheet rock mith iminimal holes where the painter can spackler and repaint.

Material lumber is extremely cheap. Found a great source on in stock carpet that is made for walls that has the padding connected to for protection also makes one less layer to add on seperately.

Windows will be blocked by 1" foam pads that you can paint white so from the outisde it looks like window treatments are drawn. Thens staple over sheet of black out drape with backing. Then hang cheapest black material (could be cheapest carper) form the back of the screen from eye hooks or another angle iron to make the picture enhance a little better than normal.

Adding a double sided door from one room. All lighting should be gone except for single overhead direct lightin electirion will add over the teeign area. later may add aditinal directed lightin in the back and side on seperate switches if they don't interfere with picture.

Never head carpet walls / ceilings so I feel like I am flashing back to the 70s

Anyone else wokring on similar thing feel free to bounce ideas off each other. i have items ordered. i need to get painters in to pain then hopefully the goodies start arriving soon. sounds like a few weeks to have this done depending no lead times of the screen.

Gap Wedge jackhawk is on a distinguished road
    Golfer,

Sounds like a great setup. Where are you getting your netting?

This time around I am trying to avoid netting. current practice room have nets which are very functional.

left / right / above the screen for protection building out a 2x4 frame out from wall with plywood on top then black carpet wtih padding. carpet staples to the plywood. probably will use a 4x4 as the main post on each side to add additional stability.

right wall i am applying the carpet directly without frame - staple to sheet rock.

left wall is safe (righties)

ceiling - going out from screen adding plywood to sheet rock then applying carpet with padding via staples but also adding glue to plywood to help prevent any sagging.

i have found a wall/ceiling carpet that is reasonbly priced that already has the padding installed. i was surprised that the material for the lumber and carpet for the whole thing was not that much. not being handy i need help but to save money i had a contractor come by and review the plans and he agreed I hire him by the hour and I will be is helper for the day so he doesn't need to hire a second person. whole thing from enclosure to hanging screen to hanging projector looks like it could be done in a very long day. perhaps spill into the next morning. Now granted this is with someone that build structures and walls for a liven so if it was me doing it would take forever.

Good luck,

Gap Wedge Simages is on a distinguished road Simages's Avatar
    At this point the best I can do with my EPSON Power Lite 811p in the 14'x11' room positioned 16" above floor which projects a screen size of 6'-5" x 8'.6". I do anticipate an upgrade to the projector which is why I will hang the full 11'x9' wall with a Hitting Viewing Screen. Just thinking out load, but what about using two King Size memory foam bed toppers behind the hitting screen? They measure 3" x 72" x 84" each so, I could cover 12'x14' area. Which means in my case I could run it from the floor and extend it on to the ceiling 2-5 feet depending on how I turn turn. Cost would be $200 each however; maybe a cheaper type foam a little thicker perhaps.

I might add that this room will triple as a game room for my Remote Control Airplane/Helicopter Flight Simulators as well as the Sony PS3eye gaming console which also plays music and Blue-Ray movies...

Oh wait.... I found a 3" Memory Foam topper for $144 ea total $288 or a 4" Memory Foam topper for $166.50 ea so, $333 ( however; this is made with 1 1/2-in. textured memory foam topper & 2 1/2-in. solid comfort foam topper)
    Last edited by Simages; 11-12-2011 at 12:02 PM.

where did you find the memory foam toppers?

looking at options to shorten the gap between wall and screen via protection behind. i was looking at hanging a cheap black carpet behind to dual as protection and help enhance image slightly.

First found some at Kohls.com like the all memory foam 1 pc or many variations memory foam and eggcate toppers

Then I noticed that most stores like WalMart or even OverStock.com have much better prices so, I'm still on the hunt. Looks like Walmart might be the best price at $218 for 2 x 4" 72"x84" memory foam.... Also; Amazon.com is a great place to purchase many many items... I use them all the time!

In General sizes are as follows; Twin 39 x 75 - Full 54 x 75 - Queen 60 x 80 - King 78 x 80 - Cal. King 72 x 84

Some brands do have slightly different measurements so, double check the specs; for example;
    Twin: 34 inches x 72 inches
    Full: 51 inches x 72 inches
    Queen: 58 inches x 77 inches
    King: 75 inches x 78 inches
    Cal king: 70 inches x 80 inches
    Last edited by Simages; 11-12-2011 at 08:23 PM.

I'm going with two Spa Sensations 4'' California King size Memory Foam Mattress-Toppers and I'll have 12'x14' of material to work with allowing me to extend 3' onto the ceiling and 1 ft onto the floor. This way at impact the foam deadens the ball and it falls rolling it back to the swing area. I have a 4" memory foam pillow that I threw a golf ball into and it looks as if it will work however; don't know how the hitting screen will affect it.

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    I've got the same debate going. I am putting my sim into an already finished room so I want to protect the existing walls / lights just in case. Current plan is to use carpet/pad covered sections of plywood (either 4'x4' for easier handling or 4'x8' sections, which might prove to be a bigger pain than its worth). Dark short carpet to keep light down and dampen sound bouncing (home theatre). Take it back 8' or so from the screen on both walls and ceiling to allow for shanks, flops, and popups for right and left handers (having just played a round in sunny Michigan today and hitting a massive popup instead of an aggressive draw around a corner with a driver...ugh...that would have left a drywall mark!).

The other option I've been looking is acoustic foam (or something like it). Most of it is too expensive, but I did find the one below for a more reasonable price. Might not be as nice of a finished look though.

This product is 2" of egg-carton style foam (charcoal color) in sheets of 4' x 8'. $85 / sheet (buy in packs of 2). That's about $3 / square foot. Might get the plywood / carpet cheaper and this might not be as durable for taking hard hits, but I've never felt it. It also comes in 2'x4' configuration as well for about the same price per foot. Might be able to just staple that directly on the drywall. Seems like I'll likely go with plywood / carpet but still debating.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Also found the following product for about $3/sq foot. They show it being "glued" on, but maybe it could just be screwed into the studs behind the drywall, which would only require fixing the screw holes if it got taken down. They describe it as being made of "the latest technology in plastic paneling, coated with foam, and a colored material to suit your decor". Might be a nice option for home theatre sound and golf sim wall protection. Will probably call them and give a theoretical situation of a golf ball slamming into it at 100mph. I'm sure any customer service rep worth their salt would know the answer to that!

http://4seating.com/home-theater-dec...s-standard.htm

what have you guys done for the front 3 surround speakers for cinema mode?

i want to reuse my THX 7.1 setup from my home theater setup for this room if the picture works out to save money rather than buying all new AV gear again. Front left / right are tower Klipsch ~ 4ft tall ~ 18" deep. The screen is 14.5 ft wide with plywood / carpet on sides and top. For front right / left I was thinking of having the speaker behind playwood but angled facing out toward the screen. Just to need avoid impacts - any ideas? Perhaps cut outs on the sides with a black metal mesh to protect and let sound through?

Center speaker no idea yet. Its Klipsch also and huge for a center speaker ~ 2 feet wide ~ 9" high ~ 7" deep. Perhaps mount behind screen on wall and hope there is no impact which is not too bright. Perhaps putt a metal mesh in front of it to protect it but lets sound through behind screen? Or build in to the plywood / carpet above and protect front wtih metal mesh.

Could also I guess get the in wall speakers (similar to my side / back) for front left / center / right and maybe they make a strong cover for them? The issue with these are they won't be any where near the same power to shake the neighbors windows while watching action movies

Curious to hear how others setup the surround sound for the cinema side of the house.

Thanks.

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    If the probability of hits to the sides is limited and, I would expect those shots would not have near the impact of the direct hits the screen takes, what about roll down sunshades. The outdoor ones come in a variety of colors and have the roller attached so, if mounted to the ceiling or at the top of the wall they would certainly not be very obtrusive. One could also take some one by lumber and mount a facia in front of the rolled up units. They might not have the sound deadening but I think they can be had in a 10 ft width for about $100 and then be mounted quickly. I know I got a deal on one for the outside at Lowe's when there was an overstock and it raises and lowers quickly. Even if you can't find it in the color you want, I would think a quick spray with a can of the right paint would work.

That way for those that want to use the room for videos as well could roll them up and out of the way to change the look of the room.

Depending on the distance from the screen to the hitting mat to the sitting area, you could mount everything even with or just in front of the hitting mat and angle to the sitting areas (put it far enough away from the screen that there is almost no chance of a direct hit). Ceiling mount the center speaker and aim down. That would prevent any exposure to direct hits and you'd only have to deal with ricochets if you thought that was a risk. Otherwise I like your idea of cutouts from the sides covered with wire mesh.

Good ideas.

I like the idea of the center speaker closer but in front of the sitting area to avoid hits. Not sure if there is any obstruction with the projector that is mounted 10' feet from screen though.

I still need to figure out what to do with the left / right tower speakers which are beasts. perhaps far left / right 18 ft spread with cutouts in the plywood carpet with wire mesh. chances of hitting shots 9' feet offline left/right are low but still need some type of protection. just not sure how the metal mesh obstructs sound or not.

thanksf or the ideas...

"chances of hitting shots 9' feet offline left/right are low " - you've just doomed yourself

your right, probably shouldn't jinx myself 10 ft away a 9ft shot to the right is an awfully big shank though. if i don't cover the right wall after this I could count on my first few swings putting holes in the sheet rock now.

Looking at your idea with the 4" mattress toppers as wall and window protection behind the screen rather than hanging a carpet behind for extra protection. Best I can get is ~ $75 for King size. Still need to hang a black tarp behind the screen. Was looking at filling the two windows with home depot sheathing insulation pads that are a few inches think then covering the window with black out material. This seems like it will do both protect and block out.

I was disappointed with the topper I got from Walmart. I was under the impression that it was a full 4 inches of memory foam, but this was not the case. It's actually 2 types of foam with only like 1.5"-2" of memory foam on one side so, the other side is soft but not memory. The impact is not fully absorbed and actually bounces up to a foot. Now Does the impact screen help to drop the ball to the floor? If so, this foam might do just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
    Looking at your idea with the 4" mattress toppers as wall and window protection behind the screen rather than hanging a carpet behind for extra protection. Best I can get is ~ $75 for King size. Still need to hang a black tarp behind the screen. Was looking at filling the two windows with home depot sheathing insulation pads that are a few inches think then covering the window with black out material. This seems like it will do both protect and block out.

My new computer came shipped with two packing materials that could be useful. One was a 2" very soft foam that looks like the toppers mentioned above but not very dense. A ball would go through that material. The other which I am trying to locate a mfr is a block of 1.5" thick styrofoam for a lack of words. its very dense but light. Due to the density it should protect the walls behind the screen. Curious if anyone has come across anything like this.

below are a few links for mfr's i found. i have calls into them. not sure if its the same material or density.

http://univfoam.com/pricing-calculators/eps-pricing

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00064040/...FQd_5Qod8HDbrg

Check out the Super Tuff sheathing at Home Depot or Lowe's. It's essentially home insulation panels; 4x8; $10 / panel or so. I've been debating using these. The downside compared to something like a foam mattress / strips is that (like styrofoam) the panels would get dented over time and not bounce back to original shape. But these are pretty firm panels from what I can tell.

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...kuId=202939005

Good idea. Thanks.

Putter chenh09 is on a distinguished road
    I'm looking to build a small cage for my setup..........how much room should I leave between the ceiling and the cage? The height of my garage is about 105 inches.........I figure I need at least 6 inches of space to ensure no balls will hit the ceiling?

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    I was just going to get lined 3 ply blackout curtain material, 3 metres wide (the height of the garage) run it sideways so no cutting or sewing required and hang on wires with eyelets. Anyone see any problems with this?

this material
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MODERN-EY...item5644c41471

@chenh09

honest answer is not sure. there are quite a few members who have garage setups so hopefully than can help. i set mine up in a room in the house.

i guess it also depends on the type of material you are using and the type of give it has. i built out a wall from the screen and covered it with plywood / carpet, but the screen is so wide don't really hit the sides. i do hit above the screen and ceiling in front with LW and other high shots and the ball bounces off the carpet. i am working a solution for that. i am looking at "archery" netting from westcoastnetting.com that i may hang from the ceiling above the screen. the "archery" netting i am told is tigther weave then golf netting and will stop the ball from hitting the ceiling - haven't tested yet so not sure. they were thinking about 8-12 inches from ceiling but they haven't tried this so that is not tested yet.

my screen is 15" from the wall and it does not hit the wall with driver but i have a bad screen from foresight that is being replaced by a PR-20 impact panel from westcoastnetting.com.

are you looking at using the metal tubing and then hanging netting on sides and top?

looks like CPA has an idea about black out curtains.

completed most of the room setup with plywood and black carpet on walls, sides of screen, above screen, and ceiling. turns out for those high shots like lobs, flops, sand, cuts, LW-SW the balls hit above the screen. GC2 still registers the ball flight info, but the ball does bounce off the carpet fairly hard. I plan on drooping black netting from the ceiling starting at the top of the screen going taller as you closer to the golfer up to the ceiling center ~ 11ft high.

curious if anyone else has done this with their setup? what netting? any special adjustments to take into consideration?

since the pr-20 impact panels is working out so well for the screen from westcoastnetting.com i am probably going to go with their archery netting (black Archery-B-Archery) after discussing with them what i am trying to do. supposedly that material will do a good job on catching the ball then dropping versus letting it rebound.

my thoughts are left/right connection is easy - I can screw the sides to the ceiling carpet/plywood through grommets. The front above screen I think I can attach gromments to the slotted angle iron from the screen.

I have thin noodle like styrofoam with a slit down the middle of the roll to slip around the angle iron to protect any balls hitting the angle iron dead on.

Just not sure yet how to droop from the ceiling above the screen. Perhaps drill a few screws/hooks into ceiling then hang with long black zip ties in a few spots?

Curious if anyone else has address the ceiling protection for these type of shots besides hitting into a netted cage.

Thanks.

Thread Information