100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar

Help buying a TV

Looking for a little guidance in buying a new TV.

So I have done some research on my own and have narrowed down what I'm looking for:
    - 32"
    - LED or Plasma - although leaning toward LED
    - 720p (I know 1080p is ideal but was told that in 32" and smaller TV's there is not a huge difference in performance)
    - connectivity to a PC
    - budget: $450 (before taxes)

I won't be watching in HD with it immediately (hopefully will eventually) but I would like something that lasts for a while and does not become technologically-extinct in 2 years.

I am not very tech-savvy so any advice on particular brands or specific models would be much appreciated. Also, where are good places to buy TV's? I know of the main stores like Futureshop and Bestbuy.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I didn't think they made plasma's at 32" in which case one question is answered.

How far are you sitting from the TV? Unless you are really close, 1080p probably won't be much benefit.

Unless there is a real space constraint, I would really encourage you to look at a larger size. 37" minimum.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    two words of advice for your particular situation: Wal Mart
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I didn't think they made plasma's at 32" in which case one question is answered.

How far are you sitting from the TV? Unless you are really close, 1080p probably won't be much benefit.

Unless there is a real space constraint, I would really encourage you to look at a larger size. 37" minimum.
    I am buying it for my room initially...so until I'm done school in May I will be sitting relatively close due to space restrictions. However, I hope to transition it into a living room TV when I move out. I actually like the size of 32" TV's...we have like a 60" plasma at home now and it's great but definitely excessive IMO. If the price is right I would spend a little more and get a 40"...but nothing larger than that.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Samsung LED
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    two words of advice for your particular situation: Wal Mart
    Checked it out today...good prices but their selection for 32" LED TV's sucked. They had a 40" samsung for $680 something that looked sweet but a little too pricey for my current budget.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Dell runs some pretty good specials on TVs from time to time.

I know it's not a major brand but just stumbled across this from the Brick:
    https://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/j...navAction=jump

Seems like a pretty good deal

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Wait two more months. The best time to buy a tv is boxing day. The Brick and BestBuy had some very good deals last year.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    my advice. Don't fret about it. Any name brand you get will look great and once you get it in your living room you won't be comparing against the other ones. If you can wait and fight the crowds, boxing day is great, as well as early new year as they are closing out old models. Though at that price level, the savings will be minimal.

Costco has a great return policy if you don't like it for some reason and lots of good selection for the size and specs you want:

http://www.costco.ca/Common/Category...=en-CA&topnav=

Personally, I would go bigger as it looks much smaller on the wall that it does in the store. We have a 46" Sony LCD in the family room and I could have gone a bit bigger. We sit about 10 ft away. We only run HD Cable on it so far and it is phenomenal.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Wait two more months. The best time to buy a tv is boxing day. The Brick and BestBuy had some very good deals last year.
    Good call...would hate to buy one now and then that TV or a similar model is $150 cheaper after Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    my advice. Don't fret about it. Any name brand you get will look great and once you get it in your living room you won't be comparing against the other ones. If you can wait and fight the crowds, boxing day is great, as well as early new year as they are closing out old models. Though at that price level, the savings will be minimal.

Costco has a great return policy if you don't like it for some reason and lots of good selection for the size and specs you want:

http://www.costco.ca/Common/Category...=en-CA&topnav=

Personally, I would go bigger as it looks much smaller on the wall that it does in the store. We have a 46" Sony LCD in the family room and I could have gone a bit bigger. We sit about 10 ft away. We only run HD Cable on it so far and it is phenomenal.
    Ok - thanks for the advice. I may just hold off until after Christmas and hopefully grab a 40" on sale. I'll probably have a little more money to spend around that time too.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I've been really impressed by the Dynex tv's in that size range. Far from being a name brand, but a really good picture for the price. Not sure how well that holds up as you increase the size, but for a 32, you can't beat the price, and the quality is there.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...50b326d144en02
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    I've been really impressed by the Dynex tv's in that size range. Far from being a name brand, but a really good picture for the price. Not sure how well that holds up as you increase the size, but for a 32, you can't beat the price, and the quality is there.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...50b326d144en02
    if its anything like the 2 portable DVD players we've had from them then I would stay away. They both lasted about 6 months before going kaput.

I've had one for 2 years (37"), and know 3 other people with tv's from the same line, 32"-40" I believe. No problems for any of us yet

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Well, I can say been there, done that. First, get a bigger size, as 32 will be small before you know it. You may not notice now but the tv formatting is moving towards larger tv's so I'd definitely go bigger, push your budget. Yes it may be $2-300 more than you can afford, but over 5-10 years that's only a few $ /month. As a struggling student, your TV will all you'll be able to watch for a few years anyways. Next, buy quality, both equipment and service. I'm a big fan of Bleeker Stereo and TV, and YES they are more expensive, but they do carry only quality, and stand behind their product. They will negotiate, IF you do your homework. Sure Costco will take it back, but what you going to watch? Bleeker will come out, make it right or get you a replacement (and no I don't work for them). When I bought a stereo at Bleeker last year I looked at the LED which were relatively new (at least to me). Spoke to a sales person, a guy who had worked there for 20 years + who said that the LED will retain their sharpness and outlast anything on the market now. He also said that they will still be going strong when the technology makes them obsolete. Buy something that will last, will meet your mid-term goals (not today, not 10 years from now) and from someone who will stand behind it. Enjoy!

Does Bleekers still charge a restocking fee? If so keep that in mind if you're unsure about the tv size...would be a shame if you had to return one and get dinged a 20% (or whatever it is) restocking fee to exchange for a tv w/ better dimensions for your room.

P.S. not saying a restocking fee isn't justified, but with all the liberal return policies out there it is something to consider.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    That's a good point Nat, and I believe that most retailers have that now. My original stereo purchase at Bleeker was not a good fit and I took it back a day or two later. I bought something more appropriate and there was NO mention of a re-stocking fee (although it was on the original invoice).

So I have picked a TV.

I am not very good with technology so I have a couple questions:

1. If I'm hooking the TV up to a blue-ray player do I need HDMI cables? If so, is there much of a difference between "high quality" and "lower quality" HDMI cables? I saw some at Winner's for $12.99...would those be decent? Because I have also seen some for $50+...
    2. I have a Macbook Pro laptop and I want to be able to hook it up to the TV. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by northern33; 12-26-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Yes to hdmi and winners cables are just fine. Don't spend any more than that

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Yes to hdmi and winners cables are just fine. Don't spend any more than that
    Thanks Jeff

Anyone know about hooking up a macbook to a TV? I know I can probably talk to someone at futureshop or bestbuy but seeing if anyone here knows first

Check the outputs on the laptop. My hp laptop has hdmi output.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Go to www.monoprice.com and order HDMI 1.4 cables, best price around!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Thread Information