OK all, this year's golf trip with the Mrs (I golf, she goes to the spa) was to the site of the 2010 PGA Championship, Whistling Straits. We were just there over Thanksgiving weekend, so here is the summary.

More specifically, we stayed at the American Club in Kohler, Wisconsin and I played all four courses that are part of the resort. Two are at Blackwolf Run (Meadow Valleys and River) and two are at Whistling Straits (Straits and Irish). Blackwolf Run will be hosting the US Women's Open in 2012.

The weather at Kohler was just like what was in Ottawa, i.e. absolutely beautiful for this time of year. Or any time of year for that matter. We got extremely lucky.

The golf courses are all spectacular Pete Dye creations. If you get out of position, you will pay. Here's an example from Straits.

I played the Straits course from the Blue tees (7142 yards, 74.2 rating, 145 slope) and shot an 88. I actually hit the ball pretty solid except for a couple of snap hooks off the tee that and one terrible approach shot that ended up as doubles. I would have scored better except for the fact that I could not get a feel for the speed of the greens with long approach putts, especially from off the fringe and made a bunch of bogeys.

Highlight of the round was birdieing number 17. It was playing 210 yards into about a 35 kph wind. It nailed a 4W pin high and sank a 25 footer. There was a wait on the 17th tee and we had just watched two guys put balls in the lake before us from the white tees.

As I usually do when I play the big courses, I took pictures of every hole from the tee and from the fairway to show what it looked like for my approach. I only did this for the round at Straits, which is where the PGA was played.

The link to the full web album is: https://picasaweb.google.com/1016654...istlingStraits

If you are looking for a premier golf destination, I can highly recommend Kohler. The service at the hotel and the courses was top notch and the golf courses are all spectacular.

Any questions, let me know.