CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge leroyvegas is on a distinguished road

New to the home simulator world

This is an unbelievable forum with great expertise and advice. I'm new to the simulator world but incorporating a sim in my new home construction project. Will be used for entertainment and hopefully some winter time practice so I'd like it to be decent from an accurate standpoint without shelling out $40-50K for About Golf or HD Golf systems. I have a space that is 15'W x 22' L with 10' 6" ceiling all set. I'm considering two modular approaches.
    1) GSA PX-5 system
    2) Protee 2.0 system

Big difference seems to be the PX-5 is a dual camera system w/ sensor mat and Protee is only a VL camera w/ sensor mat. Since I'll be providing the projector, screen, cpu, platform, and turf/mats don't know if there is anything else I'm missing in comparing these. Wondering if your guys expertise and advice has any other key considerations between the two of these. Are there other options to consider in similar budget range (~$10K all in with the equip I will have to provide). Thanks!!!!

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Looks like you've narrowed it down to the two best systems under $10K. Protee 2.0 is still working on the ball path cam and GGS is working on a ball spin sensor(SX) that could really make them compete with About Golf, HD golf, and the GC2, if they can get it to work.

Bo Golf is a 3 camera system that looks promising because it's suppose to measure ball spin. It's sells for $15K I believe but nobody knows whether it works or how it works at the moment. Par2pro will be setting one up in his demo facility soon. One thing I see is that the graphics might not be as good as Protee or GGS.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    That about sums it up.

Pitching Wedge steb is on a distinguished road
    Ball spin (both side and back) is key. I simply won't look twice if it is not measured. So I'd be going with the PX5 as at least GGS seems to addressing this seriously with the add-on SX.

I have no idea when the LX2 will be launched, or how much it'll be, but it's what I'd be waiting for.

My gut feeling is that you're always going to get a better system for your money from GGS. They rely on results to sell with their non-glitzy marketing. Their 'raw' website is a good sign to me.

Protee on the other hand has the glossy brochures, Flash-based website and the celebrity coach involvement. That makes me run. But I like tinkering, flexibility and expandability, other's might prefer something they can't muck up.

I can't identify which brand/model cameras the PX5 is using (ZMax?), but they sure look better than the $20 PS3-Eye camera I see on ProTee's site. Not that that means anything conclusive (the PS3-Eye is quite an amazing camera for the price), it just leads to a feeling.

Spin is tough to do. Trugolf's $40K system doesn't do spin. I'm suspicious of anybody that claims to do it, GGS included. But having said that, GSA and Protee's simulations based on estimated spin is pretty good. Might be good enough for most people. The SX would be icing on the cake and allow for a better hitting surface.

I hope GGS comes through with the SX and LX. I have strong doubts about the LX.

Thanks Guys. How does putting work in the GSA system. On the GSA website it talks about the PX5 system having a sensor that makes chipping/putting better because you don't have to putt from the sensor mat. Is this into the screen simulated putting? My plan is to create a platform that will make the entire 15' x 22' floor the same level to the sensor mat and camera triggers and create a decent size putting area just in front of the screen. Guessing most of this putting area couldn't be used/recognized by the sim since you have to be behind the camera trigger but was wondering if there was an option to putt offline and just enter number of putts for the hole.

Regarding the platform and turf, what do you guys recommend. I was going to incorp the fiberbuilt 1'x1' fairway, sand and rough panels with the PX2 sensor mat. Are the fiberbuilt stance mats worth the money? For about the same price as two of FB 6'x6' stance mats I could cover the entire floor platform with a nice golf turf/carpet. Just not sure how important the stance area is and whether the investment for the FB mats are worth it. Pic of the layout I'm considering...
    sim layout.jpg

I'll check but I don't believe there is an option to putt offline. There are various settings for gimmies though. Putting on the PX5 is done behind the trigger array from a designated spot. The trigger needs to be just far enough so a wedge won't trigger the cameras before the ball does.

You can use anything for the stance mats. I use two P3pro stance mats with MDF boards on the bottom. Personal preference here.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steb View Post
    Ball spin (both side and back) is key. I simply won't look twice if it is not measured. So I'd be going with the PX5 as at least GGS seems to addressing this seriously with the add-on SX.

I have no idea when the LX2 will be launched, or how much it'll be, but it's what I'd be waiting for.

My gut feeling is that you're always going to get a better system for your money from GGS. They rely on results to sell with their non-glitzy marketing. Their 'raw' website is a good sign to me.

Protee on the other hand has the glossy brochures, Flash-based website and the celebrity coach involvement. That makes me run. But I like tinkering, flexibility and expandability, other's might prefer something they can't muck up.

I can't identify which brand/model cameras the PX5 is using (ZMax?), but they sure look better than the $20 PS3-Eye camera I see on ProTee's site. Not that that means anything conclusive (the PS3-Eye is quite an amazing camera for the price), it just leads to a feeling.

Not sure I fully agree. My opinion is to be careful with an system that you buy. The main issue with GSA has always and continues to be whether Martin comes through with most of th stuff he advertises. He has great products and ideas but not all make it to market despite advertising product to be available or coming. He needs to stay focused. And you are right that the the PS3Eye cam is amazing. I hav been saying that for yrs now.

I do understand Martin's plight though because it's hard with an engineer's pride to continue developing something they no longer believe is the best way to go. But maybe he shouldn't be advertising them until done, so I guess you're right.

I think it's a hard choice, so I'd be definitely be trying to hop on both for a few hours leroy. My experience with the FullSwing made me realise all the glitz amounts to nothing if it's not an accurate simulation.

I'm a bit confused by your putting setup leroy because you completely lose the concept of breaking putts?

Quote Originally Posted by steb View Post
    I'm a bit confused by your putting setup leroy because you completely lose the concept of breaking putts?
    Yeah, I know losing the breaks would probably rule this out from a simulator standpoint. Will probably use this setup more for some target putting practice and stick with simulated or gimme putting options when using the simulator. Thanks.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Looks like you've narrowed it down to the two best systems under $10K. Protee 2.0 is still working on the ball path cam and GGS is working on a ball spin sensor(SX) that could really make them compete with About Golf, HD golf, and the GC2, if they can get it to work.

Bo Golf is a 3 camera system that looks promising because it's suppose to measure ball spin. It's sells for $15K I believe but nobody knows whether it works or how it works at the moment. Par2pro will be setting one up in his demo facility soon. One thing I see is that the graphics might not be as good as Protee or GGS.
    Just a quick note that the graphics use the same engine. While BoGolf said this is not RedChain's software, it could definitely fool me.

Quote Originally Posted by Par2Pro View Post
    Just a quick note that the graphics use the same engine. While BoGolf said this is not RedChain's software, it could definitely fool me.

That's interesting. Thanks for the correction. I see that the menus looked a little different.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    No problems, most companies take the software and adjust the GUI (Graphics User Interface) and features to match their system. So while people may say that the Red Chain software is awesome, just remember that it WILL vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Thread Information