CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Question If a tree falls in the forest... do you get a free drop.

Here is an interesting one... Today, Casselview, #6, par 5. Drive faded too much and ended up in the first row of trees, around the corner. Playing partner hit his down the centre, but it too faded and landed just in the rough about 10' from the trees. As we were walking up to find the balls vaguely recall hearing a chain saw. About 20 yards from where we eventually found both balls, two workers cut down a 60'+ poplar right across our path (90 degrees into the fairway). No warning, nothing. Walked up and found my ball under some branches that had just been cut off and I had a shot. My FC found his about a foot beyond where the tree fell. He had NO shot and had to move his ball. Question is what is the ruling on this? I hit but cannot believe the tree never hit and moved my ball, but my FC had no alternative but to lift and drop.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    If the workers were working on the tree I definitely would give relief for swing or stance interference so you would have to find your nearest point of relief without the interference and then get a drop, no closer to the hole, within one club length of the nearest point of relief. There would be no penalty for that. No line of play relief though. They could have also roped off an area and declared it ground under repair especially if they're doing this with golfers playing as it's also a safety issue.

Thanks, that brings up another interesting point. My ball was under the branches of the tree. They had limbed the tree so they just pulled the branches out of the way and I hit. The tree trunk, probably 12" in diameter, was 3-4 feet ahead of me. Because my backswing was restricted (up against a small Fir tree) I just chipped the ball over the trunk and played on.
    Q- Could I have taken relief from the tree trunk that was placed before me?
    Q- If so, (1) back or (2) perpendicular (no closer to the hole) to my left, out into the fairway past the end of the cut tree?
    You mention "line of play" so does that mean it's my tough luck that they dropped a tree in my path?

You could only get relief if it was interfering with your swing or stance unless they had marked a larger area as ground under repair. It's a bummer you hit your ball near the downed tree.

Just to be clear, the tree was standing when I hit the ball, when it landed, when it came to rest and up until I was about 20 yds from it I believe I had a shot.... still no relief? It's not like I hit the ball next to a tree already down.

They should have had the area roped off as it's just plain stupid to be cutting big trees down with golfers walking in the area. Good thing you didn't get hit.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Thanks, that brings up another interesting point. My ball was under the branches of the tree. They had limbed the tree so they just pulled the branches out of the way and I hit. The tree trunk, probably 12" in diameter, was 3-4 feet ahead of me. Because my backswing was restricted (up against a small Fir tree) I just chipped the ball over the trunk and played on.
    Q- Could I have taken relief from the tree trunk that was placed before me?
    Q- If so, (1) back or (2) perpendicular (no closer to the hole) to my left, out into the fairway past the end of the cut tree?
    You mention "line of play" so does that mean it's my tough luck that they dropped a tree in my path?
    If the tree is in the process of being cut up, then the "tree and its entirety is grounds under repair as it constitutes material piled for removal." So says Decision 25/7. Now, unless the tree stump is in the process of being removed, it is not grounds under repair.

So it's GUR, and that entitles me to move the ball, a free drop, no closer to the hole, Right?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    So it's GUR, and that entitles me to move the ball, a free drop, no closer to the hole, Right?
    Because your ball ended up under branches of the tree that is being cut up, the above statement says it is GUR.

I'm pretty sure that's what I've said a couple of times above but I guess I wrote it as ground under repair and not GUR. What am I missing??????

Gur...

I thought it was clear then you said "It's a bummer you hit your ball near the downed tree." Therefore I was cofused thinking you understood the situation was different than it was, tree already down vs. falling on the ball. Now it's clear, whole area around the tree should have been declared GUR and I should have taken a free drop... another shining example of not knowing the rules hurting me... Tx guys!

Golf Canada Rules Official L3 tyorke2 is on a distinguished road
    actually a fallen tree is a loose impediment, unless it is still attached to the stump. See decision 23-1/7.
    It clearly states that any fallen tree is a loose impediment.

Thread Information