CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar

Belly putters banned on mini-tour, a sign?

This is to inform all professionals competing on the Gecko EuroPro Tour that until further tests can show that there is no unfair advantage gained by the use of the belly putter.

Belly putters will be banned from all Gecko EuroPro Tour events from immediate affect.
    http://geckoeuroprotour.com/latest-rules-update/

Wonder if/when other tours will follow?

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I don't think you they will ban it on any of the larger tours until there is some proof that there is an advantage to playing that style of putter or that it some how violates the rules.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I don't get it...wouldn't they have already done any testing to prove that it violates any rules. I mean belly/long putters have been around for quite a few years.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    http://geckoeuroprotour.com/latest-rules-update/

Wonder if/when other tours will follow?
    And you looked into this because:

a) you want to get a belly putter (you would have to seriously adjust your current stance mind you...)?
    b) you are launching your professional career on the Gecko Tour ????

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Hate the look but whatever. The more big names use it, the least likely it'll be banned.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I smell legal challenge...

Anyone remember Ping v USGA? You can't ban something because you think it gives someone an unfair advantage, you need to have hard proof.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    c) Someone you follow on Twitter posted it and it looked interesting

I've changed up my putting stance so much this year it won't matter what I go to

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    And you looked into this because:

a) you want to get a belly putter (you would have to seriously adjust your current stance mind you...)?
    b) you are launching your professional career on the Gecko Tour ????

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Correct me if I am wrong, but do not the current Rules of Golf go to great lengths to define and describe what a putter can and cannot be, including what a player may and may not (straddle the line) do with that putter. If so, when why all the who-ha about the "belly" putter? Just because some of the young unknowns are using and winning with it? Give me a break... I agree with the earlier comment that there must be proof, not mere suspicion (or jealousy) that the putter is an "unfair advantage".

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    just ban them , sticking the end of the club into your chest or gut isn't golf IMO. it may not be an advantage, but c'mon....

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    My belly has been stuck to the end of my putter when putting for years. Never seemed to ever help my putting though. To improve my stroke, my doctor simply advised me to lose weight....
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Pitching Wedge golfsparks is on a distinguished road golfsparks's Avatar
    Belly putter craze is on..
    Have a great [URL="http://www.golfzoo.com"]golf vacation[/URL] my friend...

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Thumbs up Bellys...

Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    My belly has been stuck to the end of my putter when putting for years. Never seemed to ever help my putting though. To improve my stroke, my doctor simply advised me to lose weight....
    Saw Darren Clark on Feherty... said he lost his swing when he lost weight. I've just lost 17 lbs and I've lost my swing... that's my story and I'm sticking to it... wouldn't mind trying one though but don't know if I have the patience to take a thousand practice putts with it.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but do not the current Rules of Golf go to great lengths to define and describe what a putter can and cannot be, including what a player may and may not (straddle the line) do with that putter. If so, when why all the who-ha about the "belly" putter? Just because some of the young unknowns are using and winning with it? Give me a break... I agree with the earlier comment that there must be proof, not mere suspicion (or jealousy) that the putter is an "unfair advantage".
    There are two issues:

A) It's not just no-name players using them now - Phil, Furyk, Vijay, Scott, Couples, I think Paddy was using one as well.
    B) Players are actually winning with them now. This was never a problem when people could say that "no one has won anything of significance so who cares".

That's where all the "who-ha" is coming from.

Putter toolsballsof is on a distinguished road
    sometimes you have to accept the whats happening in your life. like being banned in a forum site. so awful to think about it.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    What!!??

Thread Information