100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Manderley

1 Iron CaptainHook is on a distinguished road CaptainHook's Avatar

Manderley

Supposed to play Manderlay on Sunday. Never been before.

What are the conditions like?

So I played Manderley for the first time yesterday with a good friend (and high capper). I wasn't expecting much because both the green fees and annual membership are both very reasonable (couple that with the discount in the Red Book and it was a very inexpensive day out). I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, it's not Eagle Creek but the clubhouse staff is very friendly and has a nice small town feel to it. The practice green was great with big elevation changes, a first cut and a nice deep rough to chip from with I think 14 holes on it.

The carts (or at least the one we had) was the slowest cart I have ever been in. The governor on it was set to travel at the speed of smell. Very slow.

We played the North 9 and Central 9. The conditions were very good (especially considering the summer we had). The tee boxes are a little dry and the par 3 tee boxes could use some help. The greens are great and rolled well, and the fairways are nice and lush.

The pace of play was just over 4 hours (keeping in mind I was playing with somebody happy taking a 7 on a par 4 so we weren't exactly zipping right along) and the marshalls/player assistants were very nice. Friendly and courteous. Cart girl was a frequent visitor.

I can't afford a super fancy club membership but I feel like Manderley offers good cost/condition/course layout (3 nine hole courses)/proximity to me. They are definitely on the short list for next season and are worth a visit if you've never been.

The first par 3 on the North course:
    Last edited by Kilroy; 08-28-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    We also play Manderley at the end of the season and have enjoyed the playing conditions and the friendly athmosphere.
    Its a great layout with 27 holes at a fair price. Too bad for us its not a bit closer to home as we enjoy the course very much.

Sand Wedge daiglem is on a distinguished road
    It's one of my favourites! Since I play 9 most of the time (5 year old at home ... can't afford 5 hours away too often!), it's nice to have three separate 9's to play. The conditions are as good as any other course I've played this summer - and better than most!

It's true, I'm seriously considering their membership options.

When my daughter's a few years older and a bit more independent, I hope to do the same and do a few mornings a week. I'm a few years away from that now ... until then, I'm a once-a-week 9-hole player, so the ROI just isn't there. Especially given that I do enjoy going out and playing different courses depending on who I go with.

Ace DecoyOctopus is on a distinguished road
    You couldn't buy me a membership to play there...

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DecoyOctopus View Post
    You couldn't buy me a membership to play there...
    Very helpful. Care to elaborate?

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    Their are always going to be haters. I've been a member the last 3 years and have been very happy. I can count the number of times I've left the course dissapointed/angry on 1 hand and I play approx 100 rounds there each year. I highly doubt there is a course (public at least) where you'll be happy 100% of the time. The staff are excellent, conditions are well maintained (constantly trying to improve) and the 27 holes gives you different options especially at a reasonable price.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I play Manderley once or twice a year and I have liked it for years. Great staff and the course has a decent layout.
    Greens are great there and roll well.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

I'd love to but Kilroy will just delete any negative posts here so there is no point. Instead everyone is forced to be under the impression that every course in Ottawa is amazing and we don't actually have any courses that over charge for the conditions.

Maybe it's the way you choose to deliver your message that Kilroy has a problem with. There's plenty of negative reviews of the Vieux Moulin and other courses on here. Post a review with facts and leave personal opinion out of it and you'll have no problem with having your negative review deleted.

Well isn't a review of something based on personal experience? How else can you review something if you have never been exposed to it.

Nevermind...you're outnumbered by positive reviews anyways.
    Last edited by jmwhite; 09-06-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    There are ways to do things Mr. Octopus, if you wanted to bring up dislikes about the course just do it in a diplomatic fashion. Your posts come across as juvenille.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The Forum Rules clearly define what is acceptable and what is not.
    Now let's not derail the thread on Manderley any further please.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Putter mitar is on a distinguished road
    I don't really post much on the forums but had to give my 2 cents. I started playing at Manderley a couple years back because it was close to home and offered reasonable rates. Although, it is not a "top-tier" course, there are many reasons I continue to return. The staff is extremely friendly and flexible. The course is fun to play with alot of variety and is great for average golfers. I do admit that it can be slow at times and some tee boxes could use some attention but overall I am a very satisfied customer and will continue to support them.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Manderly is great value for the money, decent clubhouse, refreshment carts, decent fairways and greens.

I'm nott fussy about some of the holes that don't appeal to me and overall it's a bit shorter than some of the other courses I play.

I find it a mix of good and bad. One thing I really don't like is there are too many holes with a big trench out around 255 yards, it get's old.

I'd probably play it more often if I lived a bit closer.

Putter mitar is on a distinguished road
    I find it a mix of good and bad. One thing I really don't like is there are too many holes with a big trench out around 255 yards, it get's old.
    I would have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    One thing I really don't like is there are too many holes with a big trench out around 255 yards, it get's old.
    I re-discovered the game last year after an almost 10-year hiatus, so my power of perception isn't all the way back yet. But now that you mention it, you're right! Thanks?

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    We played yesterday & enjoyed ourselves. Bit slow after all the 3.5 hr rounds this season but a fine day for a walk on a nice course.

Thread Information