100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    There are players who don't now the rules, or those who think the rules is "this," when it's actually "that." If the first official gives a ruling that contradicts "this," then it is within his right and is actually encouraged, to get another opinion. That second opinion usually comes from the Referee, the official in charge, whose decision is final. When the player gets "that" from the second official, that is the end of discussion and hopefully, some learning takes place.
    I'd be carefull about the use of the term "referee". In most cases, the second opinion is rendered by the Head Rules Official who is not usually a referee but rather an authorized member of the Committee who may or may not have final decision authority. The distinction is especially important when talking about Match Play. I have never been involved in an event where the Rules Officials have had the status of Referees as defined in the definitions.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    'Referee' is of course defined but the term 'rules official' is not defined in the Rules and often misunderstandings arise as to their specific role.

In practice a RO may be designated to accompany an individual group around the course or may be given a roving function on a particular number of holes or static position where there are potential problems (eg about relief procedures). They will be authorised to inform players of any breaches they observe or are reported to them and are usually authorised to make decisions.
    The water is further muddied by the terms 'committee member' and 'observer' where some of the responsibilities overlap with those of a so called RO.

The definition is likely to be changed next year so that the term 'referee' embraces the rules duties performed in both match and strokeplay.

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    'Referee' is of course defined but the term 'rules official' is not defined in the Rules and often misunderstandings arise as to their specific role.

In practice a RO may be designated to accompany an individual group around the course or may be given a roving function on a particular number of holes or static position where there are potential problems (eg about relief procedures). They will be authorised to inform players of any breaches they observe or are reported to them and are usually authorised to make decisions.
    The water is further muddied by the terms 'committee member' and 'observer' where some of the responsibilities overlap with those of a so called RO.

The definition is likely to be changed next year so that the term 'referee' embraces the rules duties performed in both match and strokeplay.
    The reason for me raising the point is that the term "referee" is almost never used in the competitive circles in which I am involved. Further, there are many uninformed golf fans who simply believe that event organizers need only employ an infinite number of on-course "Referees" backed up by a battery of Senior Referees at teminals in the booth and all this nonsense of self-regulation and phone in infractions would just go away. Because of the common use of the term for the position in team sports or sports like boxing, the implication is that anything you can get away with is fair game.

I think it is interesting that you say that they are considering a change to the definition of "referee" to embrace the duties of Rules Officials. I would suggest that this is exactly backwards. I think they would be better off defining the role of Rules Officials and set out the special status of a referee within that definition. Other sports have already carved out the definition of "referee" and there will always be confusion if golf moves to use the term to apply to some other function(s). As it is now, the definition is consistent with other sports, I believe that we just never or seldom use referees at any of our events.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    The term 'referee' will, as now, be concerned with deciding questions of fact and applying the Rules. He will be required to act on any breach of a Rule that he observes or is reported to him.
    In strokeplay he will be expected to act in order to prevent any inadvertent breach of a rule but in matchplay he will let the players look after themselves (with a couple of specified exceptions).

The basic change is that he will not be required to actually accompany the players.

I cannot expand further as the change has not yet been confirmed.

Thread Information