CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar

Ping Putting App

Anybody tried this yet? Been playing with it and really like it. Not being a great putter I like it for my tempo and to see the impact position. I've tried it on my Scotty and Spider and what consistencies i tend to have while putting with both. The app is free but the cradle is $30 ....the only downside to it.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I've been playing with a bit and like you it at least tells me I still have work to do but at least I'm showing some signs of consistency.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    looking at tha app. do you find it accurate? assume you need it perfecty aligned with the face.

not sure how to make sense out of the face squareness readings. from 10ft i hit my target feel square yet it tells me open by as much as 3 degrees. seems like a lot open which i should be missing right but i hit the target. does this mean that i can be 3 degrees closed at address but then return it square? i would think i would see 3 degrees closed at address though.

I'm currently around 3.1 closing in stroke, .05 open at impact angle with a tempo of 2.2. With some reading and video on putting , I've been using it over the holidays .I've managed to get my hdcp to 0.2 with the new Cally but still at 3.0 with the Scotty. I've never felt comfortable with the putter.When I first started , I was all over the place with the consistency form 3-31. But now with changing grip and arm position I feel more comfortable. The app may not make more putts go in but the consistency of hitting the ball is what I'm looking for.

cool. i am been playing around with it over the holidays too. i am fairly consistent but i am trying to figure out how its showing a consistent 3* open at impact when I am getting it in the hole from 10ft. i would think 3* should be missing the hole. i read a little and learned I think it is not measuring degrees at impact but showing i think the relative difference from start of stroke to impact. If that is the case and I am consistently 3* open then that would mean I am 3* closed at address I think then return square at impact. 3* seems like a lot and I should notice it.

do you know what the "closing degree" is on the path? I am a straight putter no arc but it shows 1.2-2 degrees closing. on the scale for straight putting i am to the right of middle halfway. does that mean i am straight through impact but then my path is closing on an arc after impact by 1.2-2* or the face is closing after impact by that amount?

appreciate it, and good luck.

at first it thought it was going to be the greatest thing since prov1s but the more i used it seems more like a marketing tool to tell someone what ping putter to buy depending on your stroke type (straight, slight arc, big arc).

i am a fairly good putter. my temp is 2/1 and staight back/through with 1.2* closing.

i am struggling with understanding two measurements and what they are telling me about my stroke to improve.

1) my face shows average 3* open at impact. to me that is scary. when i test 5 balls putting to a single ball (not a hole) 10ft away i hit 2, 2miss 1" left, and one misses 1" right. it shows average 3* open. if it were really 3* open at impact i would have missed all my putts from 10ft. since then i learned it is from initial takeaway to impact the relative difference. this can only mean that i am closed at address or i close the face 3* on my takeaway then square it at impact. if this was the case then it is contrary to question number to that i am closing 1.2 at impact. i use a laser on my putter at address so i am not closed at address.

2) 1.2* closing - not sure what this really is telling me. i sent a thread question to golfwrx and sent emails to ping to try to explain.

bottom line answers are just try to be consistent on all your numbers but i can't use it to find out i am getting consistent at a bad stroke.

curious if anyone else understands these two numbers and can shed some light.

thanks.

any responses yet?

nope.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I think the most important thing is to use this app to work on the tempo of the swing and using that tempo to increase your feel and distance control. Getting caught up on the opening and closing of the face of the putter can lead to frustration and working on the wrong aspect of your game.

If you are getting fit for a driver and use "Trackman" and you are told that you are a -4 coming into impact you would have a difficult time in doing anything technical to change this but if you were told to try to hit on an upswing on the ball you would have no problem. I think this putter app should be used for a "general" idea of understanding your stroke and concentrate on the tempo aspect of your well imprinted stroke. If you get better results in changing a grip or stroke style then thats great too.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

tempo seems to be the only numbers that seem close to reliable. I am already 1/2 so its not very helpful. I think this is really a marketing tool to help people pick which ping putter to buy versus a real training aid to help with your putting stroke like (itom / sam / etc).

I agree luc. I use the app to see how consistently I'm hitting the ball. I always thought I was SBST but based on the app....I realized i'm a slight arc and by not releasing the putter...caused my putts to go left being a lefty. Its a fun app. As for which putter ping suggests to buy is up to you. Lessons and a putter fitting is a better way to go in choosing a putter.

I pulled out my fb itty bittsy spider today and wow!!. Even though it says i have a slight arc, I seem to have more consistency with this putter. after 25 sessions, I have a +1.04 of consistency. I can see the ball roll more smoothly and less sidespin. I enjoy this app. It's fun to to try to improve yourconsistency every time you use it.

for the face angle at impact what are you doing to work on consistency based on the information its telling you? curious since i still can't figure out why its telling me 3.x degrees open consistently at impact but i am hitting a golf ball target from 10 feet which if the face was open by 3 degres it would miss. i even calibrated the unit. appreciate any help.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    I pulled out my fb itty bittsy spider today and wow!!. Even though it says i have a slight arc, I seem to have more consistency with this putter. after 25 sessions, I have a +1.04 of consistency. I can see the ball roll more smoothly and less sidespin. I enjoy this app. It's fun to to try to improve yourconsistency every time you use it.
    I think getting properly fit is very important for the putter. You can have the best putting stroke in the world but your putter length or lie angle may be responsible for some misses. Get that straightened out first then work on the stroke. I am not surprised that the mallet style putter was more successful Scott, easier to control than a blade in my opinion.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information