100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar

etiquette for some

Yesterday,myself and 2 buds went out to Hammond,not busy at all most likely due to the bad shape of the fairways.Anyways we are all fairly good players and were walking.We noticed a couple in a cart catching up so at the next par 3 tee box we decided to wait and let them go thru,they drove up and we said they can pass,we get this total blank look,big chunky young dude gets up walks past ,tees up and walks back to the cart to join his girlfirend/wife.No thank you,no nothing.We were perplexed at the ignorance of this guy,but not surprised really!!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I hit a ball straight into the wrong fairway at Renfrew yesterday morning and saw a group was close to my ball. I walked up to not find my ball. I'm 99.99% they picked it up. I yelled fore, so not sure what their problem was. I hope the same happens to them someday.

And then yesterday afternoon, I hit my ball in the rough, and some senior is in the same area hitting his ball out of the rough. I wait for him to be finished, then I go to hit my ball and I see that it's not my ball! He hit the wrong ball! I was too lazy to chase him down, whatever.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

4Left
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I hit a ball straight into the wrong fairway at Renfrew yesterday morning and saw a group was close to my ball. I walked up to not find my ball. I'm 99.99% they picked it up. I yelled fore, so not sure what their problem was. I hope the same happens to them someday.

And then yesterday afternoon, I hit my ball in the rough, and some senior is in the same area hitting his ball out of the rough. I wait for him to be finished, then I go to hit my ball and I see that it's not my ball! He hit the wrong ball! I was too lazy to chase him down, whatever.
    Same thing happened to our foursome at Cloverdale a couple of weeks ago, my drive was long and left onto an adjacent fairway...the difference is that we actually watched the 2 ladies in a cart stop and pick my ball up. We politely asked them when we arrived on the scene if they happened to see my ball and they replied no..... hmmmm so after thanking them we decided to leave half a dozen shag balls out of our bags scattered on the next green....we thought they must really need golfballs....and we were glad to help out.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Maybe you guys should keep it in your own fairway...problem solved.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    lol....I was thinking exactly the same thing...lol
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Pitching Wedge golfsparks is on a distinguished road golfsparks's Avatar
    I had this experience where a player and his buddy spend too much time looking for a lost ball . Our group then behind is very much ready to play. guy and his buddy who are slow players as we observed did not offer us to play through. We waited for almost 15 minutes for guys to finish their shots. My friend so fed up give them etiquette lecture. All we receive was also a blank look....
    Have a great [URL="http://www.golfzoo.com"]golf vacation[/URL] my friend...

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfsparks View Post
    give them etiquette lecture. All we receive was also a blank look....
    Nothing good can come from a lecture or lesson on a golf course that was not asked for.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

4Left
    I try and try, but it's difficult....hence my user name..

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I'm just too long for some fairways.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I'm just too long for some fairways.
    And would that be too long left .... or too long right????

(he..he...he)
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Long right, and short left, lol

7 Wood macspesh is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    Yesterday,myself and 2 buds went out to Hammond,not busy at all most likely due to the bad shape of the fairways.Anyways we are all fairly good players and were walking.We noticed a couple in a cart catching up so at the next par 3 tee box we decided to wait and let them go thru,they drove up and we said they can pass,we get this total blank look,big chunky young dude gets up walks past ,tees up and walks back to the cart to join his girlfirend/wife.No thank you,no nothing.We were perplexed at the ignorance of this guy,but not surprised really!!
    Not suprising indeed. I've seen lapses in basic social skills on the course that are simply off the charts.
    You can thank the increase in tech social networking in lieu of normal person to person interactions along with the last couple generations' arrogance to re-invent seemingly every social standard out there.
    It'll get much much worse btw.

Albatross goliath is on a distinguished road goliath's Avatar
    It really doesn't matter where you play. I am a member at of club links and even on a private course people do it. I've had a guy run on to my fairway as I am swinging, I've had one of my own playing partner play my ball even though I was playing a Nike and he was playing a callaway and just start laughing and not say sorry. I've seen people looking for a ball on my hole, stop their cart and pick up my ball from the rough and leave. Gets kind of annoying.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree but it seems I run into the yahoo syndrome a lot more these days. I always ask politely if I am catching up to a group, if they say no and I am in a hurry I usually call the clubhouse to see if they can send someone out. The worst is when you see the group in front being really slow playing but running off each green so they do not have to let you by, URGHHH
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    The real problem is that many courses do not pay attention to pace. We played Champlain on Friday and there was a foursome of young guys having a great time flaling on balls on the range and whoopin it up. They were dressed in cargo shorts and tee shirts. It was a good thing they were behind us because on the way back we were on parallel fairways and they were in fine form with 1 group on the tee and another coming up to the tee, they had no clue they were already 1.5 holes behind after 2.5 holes played!!! We did not see a marshall for another 4 holes when we finished the first 9. Oh well
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Pitching Wedge golfsparks is on a distinguished road golfsparks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Nothing good can come from a lecture or lesson on a golf course that was not asked for.
    you're right and my friend realized that after what he did.
    Have a great [URL="http://www.golfzoo.com"]golf vacation[/URL] my friend...

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    So I carry a 1 iron, go ahead laugh , it's useful. Every once in a while I heel it about 175 yards, today I heeled it barely over 100. SO I"m standing there 250 out waiting for the green, like I'm not Jack or anything, but some of us can hit a 3 wood that far, it's not unreasonable to wait. Its getting dark so of course everyone is anxious. the guy on the tee behind yells something in french that got translated as an angry rant about not being able to get to the green from there blah blah blah, I'm so sick of this kind of crap.

So anyhow I hit a solid shot and the kid I'm playing with (joined up with a father and son) lights up and yells "on the green!", so I turn and yell back at the tee "Merci"

I missed the green a bit right pin high, one of my better 3 woods but not legendary by by means.

On a scamble, we're waiting for the group in front who are on the fairway waiting to hit their second on a par 5. The tee was bunching up a bit, so someone behind our group thinks we should go ahead and hit cause we'll "never hit out there", which get's my goat. they are sitting at their tee shot in the fairway, does it really matter if we can't reach them? Why so we can hit up their butts and sit and wait 20 yards behind them instead of on the tee for our turn?

Anyhow, without missing a beat I turned and said "Oh I can", I'm just so sick of the distance police.

Anyhow, when we finally got up to hit every one in our group just salmmed it right out there, I cranked one out that would have landed right on the heads of the group we were waiting for, it was poetry

Unless a group is playing too slow, just relax, man...

Bill Wood
    Anybody as old as I am to remember Caddie school. White shirt, white shorts, cap, and towel. Even had graduation and then got set up with players from the local City club. and THERE I learned golfing etiquette. Passed it along to my daughters. (Graduation wasn't that hard to figure out!)

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    ever play behind a group that waited until the group ahead was on the green on par 4's prior to playing their tee shots ? and I am not talking driveable par 4's ..... on the 4th tee ( and 1 hour already elapsed) we roll up and this duo have not yet hit we asked "are you wanting for us to play through?" ..... blank look , long story short we skipped a hole ( #5 ) to get ahead and they were offended, some pleasantries exchanged. Coming off 9th green we could see them just getting ready to tee off on 8.

Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
    ever play behind a group that waited until the group ahead was on the green on par 4's prior to playing their tee shots ? and I am not talking driveable par 4's ..... on the 4th tee ( and 1 hour already elapsed) we roll up and this duo have not yet hit we asked "are you wanting for us to play through?" ..... blank look , long story short we skipped a hole ( #5 ) to get ahead and they were offended, some pleasantries exchanged. Coming off 9th green we could see them just getting ready to tee off on 8.
    Actually, I have...and many, many times. In many upper level courses in the London area (i.e. I've played Greenhills, London Hunt, Riverbend each on numerous occasions), it is common practice on the first tee to wait until such time as the group ahead has cleared the green. It provides suitable spacing over the course of the rest of the game to keep flow moving and, if someone does come up on you, there is no doubt as to whether or not you should allow them to play through. It actually is a form of etiquette down there to wait on the first tee...not them all....just the first. And I must say that I have found that it really does work!

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Actually, I have...and many, many times. In many upper level courses in the London area (i.e. I've played Greenhills, London Hunt, Riverbend each on numerous occasions), it is common practice on the first tee to wait until such time as the group ahead has cleared the green. It provides suitable spacing over the course of the rest of the game to keep flow moving and, if someone does come up on you, there is no doubt as to whether or not you should allow them to play through. It actually is a form of etiquette down there to wait on the first tee...not them all....just the first. And I must say that I have found that it really does work!
    Unfortunately these folks were did it 4 consecutive holes ( all par 4's 370+ ) , I am seldom in the mood for a 6 hour round . I'm fine with waiting on the first tee , as stated it helps set the pace.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    I have a townhouse on the 7th hole at eQuinelle. The house is probably 60 yards from the white tee box. I think most golfers at least that I have seen have the right idea. If I'm sitting on my deck I can usually hear the conversations and for the most part I hear them say let's give the folks ahead a little space. I have heard a few say that they can hit it past the bunkers so they had best wait for the group to clear. I like to watch those because (and here is the fun factor of living on a course) 99% of them:
    A) don't make it to the bunkers
    B) top the ball
    C) a hit major crazy slice that threatens the health and safety of the golfers on the 9th hole.

The guys that don't make to the bunker, well it happens..... the others I normally have to take a swig of beer to keep from laughing out loud.

Thread Information