CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Stopped on a Dime... My Idol Is Dead

Most of you don't know me well enough to care, but perhaps the general significance of the events I'm about to describe will let you know how sad I feel today.

In a heavy metal/hard rock bar in or around Columbus Ohio, the band Damageplan (founded by former Pantera standouts "Dimebag" Darrell Abbot and Vinnie Paul Abbot) was starting their set, when an irate fan took to the stage and shot Dimebag 5 times in the head before opening fire on the crowd. Imagine. His brother, who was quickly envelopped by security guards and brought offstage, was tearfully asking police officers about his brother's fate, and they didn't even know what hospital the corpse was brought to.

4 people have been confirmed dead, plus the gunman. A fan, a bar employee, and a transient older male whose last known address was in Texas, the band's home state. And, of course, an icon in metal guitar.

A hero police officer, who was on a routine patrol nearby, heard the radio call about what was happening, and entered the back stage area where he saw the gunman holding a hostage. Efficiently, he nailed the shooter in the head with a rifle butt, and proceeded to shoot him to death. So much love and praise has to go out to this brave individual who acted quickly under duress.

How does any of this relate to hockey, golf or any sports??

Pantera, who broke up two years ago roughly, under less than amicable circumstances, wrote the Dallas Stars' theme song and fight song. They (the Abbott brothers, not Phil Anselmo and Rex, the other members of Pantera) were friends of many players on the team, avid hockey fans and supporters.

Classy stuff from the Stars organization about a true Texas hardcore b@st@rd...

http://www.dallasstars.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=2658

I hope you all don't take this as a downer. My main goal was to illuminate the situation. Over the course of the next few months, I'll be putting together a small tribute to one of my idols.

I used to play in a local band that came close to entry onto the big stage. In my mind, I entered each show feeling happy that I was about to make at least one person happy that night. It might only be me, but it was someone. Dimebag's approach to music inspired me to feel this way. He embodied the love and passion that a true musician must encapsulate to become successful. Something I lacked, I suppose. He was a god in my microcosm, and a great individual from past run-ins. Truly a sad day for me.

"D"DA - We barely even knew you.... There's nothing less serious about this crap than 9/11. If anything, it exemplifies the need for stepped up policing and heightened penalties for offenders domestically in the US. This kind of this won't stop, but it can be limited....

Dime - The Cowboys from Hell will ride you into that Vulgar sunset man. You rocked this f-ing planet. Keep it as real in death as you did in life DD.

:cryin
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I heard about this, pretty scary stuff considering this can happen anywhere!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road

Hmm...

First of all, condolences. Terrible thing to happen.

However...

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    A hero police officer, who was on a routine patrol nearby, heard the radio call about what was happening, and entered the back stage area where he saw the gunman holding a hostage. Efficiently, he nailed the shooter in the head with a rifle butt, and proceeded to shoot him to death. So much love and praise has to go out to this brave individual who acted quickly under duress.
    So, nailing the guy in the head with the stock was not enough to bring him down?

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

Dd

Great post Dan. As you know, Pantera was my favourite band and when I heard about DD on the radio this morning I was really shocked! I'm not a big fan of Damageplan but DD was one helluva guitarist.....

a sad day :cryin

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I don't really know the band, but hey, Broken is a bud, so if he's sad, I'm sad.

Raise one for the late Dimebag

Or, considering his nickname perhaps this is more appropriate

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krolik
    So, nailing the guy in the head with the stock was not enough to bring him down?
    From what I can gather, the guy was pretty big (6'5", 240 or so), and the cop had to act quickly in this situation because the guy was obviously on a shooting spree. Killing him was fair justice, although I'd prefer to have seen Vinnie Paul rip him apart for killing his brother.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Hey Broken, check out the Obits in today's Globe & Mail (pg.S9). There's a nice piece on "Dimebag".

BTW, did you get your handle from thier song "I'm Broken"?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information