CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar

Teeing the driver way forward and hitting on the way up

After going through all heck to encorporate a driver into my game (it's a long story), I was toying around with the "modern" driver stance. Right now it's of utmost importance for me to use the roughly the same swing and setup for every club, but I have to say, teeing the ball up off my instep and hitting on the way up produces a nice high lob that seems to have carry and distance and isn't really that harder to line up or swing at. I'm old scholl, but on the range it felt like a win\win.

A couple questions

1) if this is "the way", then why weren't pros doing this with persimmons all along? And even currently, not everyone on tv plays this way.

2) it makes me want a 7.5 degree, or at least lower lofted driver, what's the thinking along these lines?

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    1 - It's a lot easier to hit a 400cc driver like that than the small wooden persimmon clubs. You are trying to compare apples and oranges here IMO.

2 - Why would you want to use a 7.5 degree head if this is the flight that you are looking for? You want to find the right combination between launch and spin to provide you with the maximum distance. This could mean a different shaft or driver hear. I just went through this at KH's and the results were great! Just need to tee my ball a little higher with my current driver and move it up a bit and I can get 10-14 yards more distance...who knew.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    ball seems to ho petty high, I'm thnking this method might demand a lower lofted club to get the most out of it.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I use a 9.5 lofted driver...

Thread Information