CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar

Please outlaw the belly putter

Just saw Retief using it and my heart sank. Up until now I hadn't seen anyone who matteed using one, other than Sergio, and considering putting isn't exactly his strong suit so I let it go, but Retief?

That hot spell he had a few years back where he should have won the open was mostly because of his brilliant putting.

I think he would have won the open but the awkardness of the crowd cheering on Jason more than him put them both off their games, my personal opinion...anyhow, Jack would have got it done regardless, so it's on him.

I'm kind of old fashioned, I don't like the wacky putters much, as far as I'm conicerned even the two ball break's the rule "plain in shape", but the rest of the world disagrees with me. It broke my heart to watch a telent like Retief using his gut as an anchor on the greens.

Do the gods have no mercy?

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I don't really see it as being a huge advantage, or even an advantage. Maybe within 6 feet you have a bit of an advantage, but any long putts are tougher.
    If it really did give a big enough advantage, it would be banned, and that's why it's not. Lots of people that go to a belly or chest putter, just go back after awhile.
    Don't be a hata!

ya, that's the other reason why I haven't cared too much, I don't see it's a big advantage, I just hate to see Retief using one. Call me old fashioned...

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Yea, Ernie Els too now, just noticed. He was also really against them years ago. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

Now I'm gonna cry

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    ya, that's the other reason why I haven't cared too much, I don't see it's a big advantage, I just hate to see Retief using one. Call me old fashioned...
    You want the long putter banned because you are old fashioned. Then to be consistent, you would also agree with the banning of:
    -cavity back irons
    -460 cc heads
    -graphite shafts
    -solid (versus wound) golf balls
    -bounce on sand wedges
    -hybrid irons
    -high MOI putters

Any of the above has improved the game more than the long putter has. The long putter, one anchored to the belly or chest, requires a perfect ball position, and is not an advantage over traditional putters. However, it has helped those who have lost confidence in themselves when using the traditional putter. We should be happy that we have options these days, and are still not stuck in the inflexible past.

A putting stroke that truly is advantageous, is a side saddle one, but how many golfers do you see using it? One.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    You you would also agree with the banning of:
    -cavity back irons
    -460 cc heads
    -graphite shafts
    -solid (versus wound) golf balls
    -bounce on sand wedges
    -hybrid irons
    -high MOI putters
    I like the bounce on my sand wedge

To be serious, 460 is too big IMO, but its fun. I don't care one way or the other about CB or graphite shafts. I'm not sure what the advantage of the shafts is.

Hybrids are totally legit from my stuffy point of view, just a cross between an iron and a lofted wood.

You can do away with the new balls, all they do is render half the courses out there obsolete and further the divide between short and long hitters.

Don't get me started on spaceship putters, I don't see how half of them make it past the PGA or whomever governs these things. In the end I don't think it matters, like you say, you still have to read the green and putt the ball.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    A belly putter is significantly more advantageous as it significantly improves the chances of making a pure putting stroke (more so in my opinion than the really long putters). Difficult to make a bad putting stroke when it's anchored in your belly, where most teachers believe the shaft should be pointed. Sure I suppose the lengthy putts can be difficult - tell Keegan Bradley that. He dropped a 50+ footer to arguably to win the PGA Championship. I think you are going to see these types of putters more and more out on tour now. Even considered switching to one myself. If you think that hybrids should be allowed then you shouldn't have an issue with a belly putter. IMO the hybrid is more new school and advances the game more than any other piece of equipment. Simply look at how many players carry a 2 iron now a days.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    A belly putter is significantly more advantageous as it significantly improves the chances of making a pure putting stroke (more so in my opinion than the really long putters). Difficult to make a bad putting stroke when it's anchored in your belly, where most teachers believe the shaft should be pointed. Sure I suppose the lengthy putts can be difficult - tell Keegan Bradley that. He dropped a 50+ footer to arguably to win the PGA Championship. I think you are going to see these types of putters more and more out on tour now. Even considered switching to one myself. If you think that hybrids should be allowed then you shouldn't have an issue with a belly putter. IMO the hybrid is more new school and advances the game more than any other piece of equipment. Simply look at how many players carry a 2 iron now a days.
    I'd agree. unlike the other advancements made, it's not the putter itself so much as the way its used - that 3rd anchor point is a significant change. I don't have a problem with long putters, just make that 3rd anchor point illegal.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I'd agree. unlike the other advancements made, it's not the putter itself so much as the way its used - that 3rd anchor point is a significant change. I don't have a problem with long putters, just make that 3rd anchor point illegal.
    You obviously don't use one. Perhaps after a few months with the yips you'll change your mind.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    You obviously don't use one. Perhaps after a few months with the yips you'll change your mind.
    Nope, not gonna happen. I dislike everything about them. I'd sooner give up golf.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    If they made a belly long iron, I might try it.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I've been using a belly Corza Ghost for about 2-1/2 months now.
    I have been having yips inside 10feet, especially 3-5feet for years.
    The consistency has improved all the way through my putting including lagging.
    I don't make everything I look at, but I think I can, and putting is all about confidence.

I think the use of the 'fat' grips is just as advantageous, it is also designed to 'quiet' the hands.

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    If they made a belly long iron, I might try it.
    +1...I would too

Thread Information