CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Equinelle

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar

Equinelle

First time today, loved it, this course rocks.

Nice fairways and greens, decent rough but not too tough, lot's of sand traps, water that's actually in play, old school par fours and good length overall.

Ya there are slightly tighter fairways at some other courses, a couple token elevated tee boxes with a view would be cool, but all in all this might be my favourite course in the area. A good start, a good finish, par fives that keep ya honest (none of this second shot is a 7i to the green nonsense). It's like an Eagle Creek where you don't have to be Robin Hood off the tee and it only kicks you once when you screw up lol.

The only objectionable hole is a monster par 4 with a 3/4 island green that seems somewhat out of place but is still fun to play. It', like, #7 or something too, if it was #17 I could understand, anyhow it's still a good hole.

I think it's bark is bigger than it's bite, but that's ok, it probably keeps a decent pace of play most of the time.

Great course.

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    Nice enough course but I find it very repetitive. Great conditions make up for a lot though.

3 Wood triple-bogey is on a distinguished road triple-bogey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    Nice enough course but I find it very repetitive. Great conditions make up for a lot though.
    I agree with you. I think that Loch March (comparing courses with similar green fees) is a better overall golf experience, imo.
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by triple-bogey View Post
    I agree with you. I think that Loch March (comparing courses with similar green fees) is a better overall golf experience, imo.
    Ruskie will be here shortly.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I agree too , every hole (except par 3's) is a driver hole at Equinelle . Don't get me wrong , its a fantastic course , front nine is better than the back IMO.
    But Loch March is my favorite course in the area , love the layout and the course set up.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    I agree too , every hole (except par 3's) is a driver hole at Equinelle . Don't get me wrong , its a fantastic course , front nine is better than the back IMO.
    This only bothers Wil cause he cant hit a driver!

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    WOW... Loch March is better than eQuinelle??? I am so glad we have lots of courses to pick from in this area because Loch March is nowhere near the top of my list. Have you played Lock March this year? They have really let that place go... and I won't bother talking about their hole designs...

Because this is about eQuinelle... What a great course!!!

Great condition, a very good mix of short and long holes, challenging pin placements, over 7,000 yards from the tips, water hazards, a few reachable par 5's for scoring, par 3's ranging from 160-230, lots of very different shape holes, smooth greens, nice traps, great fairways to hit from... what more could you want???

And I can't think of any holes that look like they were just crammed in to the remaining space to finish the 18...

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I love both courses, in a slightly different way.

eQuinelle is in fantastic shape (considering its only 3 years old), is a great layout, is forgiving off the tee but generally gets tougher towards the greens. It has a good mix of challenging holes, long and short and I don't find it repetitive at all. I rarely feel beat up after playing it which is nice. at $37 for twilight it's a great price for a great course. At $80 on the weekend its a little expensive for my liking.

Loch March is also a great layout, was in great shape when I played it (though the bunkers were horrible), is a lot tougher off the tee and in general a more challenging course that can knock the stuffing out of you if you don't have your A game.

We're lucky to have both of these at reasonable prices - and the ability to get on them at discounted rates or via EG, etc. at a great price.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gropper View Post
    This only bothers Wil cause he cant hit a driver!
    I can hit a driver , just not very well
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I love both courses, in a slightly different way.

eQuinelle is in fantastic shape (considering its only 3 years old), is a great layout, is forgiving off the tee but generally gets tougher towards the greens. It has a good mix of challenging holes, long and short and I don't find it repetitive at all. I rarely feel beat up after playing it which is nice. at $37 for twilight it's a great price for a great course. At $80 on the weekend its a little expensive for my liking.

Loch March is also a great layout, was in great shape when I played it (though the bunkers were horrible), is a lot tougher off the tee and in general a more challenging course that can knock the stuffing out of you if you don't have your A game.

We're lucky to have both of these at reasonable prices - and the ability to get on them at discounted rates or via EG, etc. at a great price.
    Yep, what Jeffc said! Its not a matter of knocking eQuinelle. It is indeed in fantastic shape (yes, better than LM imo). However, they offer 2 completely different golfing experiences, and then it is a matter of taste as to which you like better. I prefer the LM experience, where you have to really think of which club to use off the tee for many of the holes (perhaps only 6 or 7 grip'em and rip'em holes in total).
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

btw, I would rate them 1a and 1b in terms of courses I love to play in this area. Stonebridge would be 2.

I do agree that most holes at E require driver off the tee and at Loch March you need to think about what club to hit more often... but the problem I have is that at LM you are not trying to decide between driver and a fairway wood, you are having to hit 5 iron to a landing area, which is not that much fun in my opinion. I can't stand hole #3 at LM or #17 for that reason... I don't like hitting an iron off the tee on par 4's...
    I am glad we have the option... because I opt to stay away from LM !!!

7-8-9 at eQuinelle are a much tougher test for sure!!! (compared to 7-8-9 at LM)

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    7-8-9 at eQuinelle are a much tougher test for sure!!! (compared to 7-8-9 at LM)
    You are absolutely right on this one! Water in play on all 3 holes!

You are absolutely right on this one! Water in play on all 3 holes!
    actually I think this could be one of the toughest stretch of holes in the city.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    actually I think this could be one of the toughest stretch of holes in the city.
    Yup those 3 holes can beat me up pretty good. I think visually 8 is challenging I have played with a lot of guys who don't line up correctly in the tee box on that hole for some reason. As for 9, well I now use my 4 iron off or hybrid off the tee to make sure that I hit the fairway. PS --- My house is on 7 and I can't tell you how many people I see hit it and just drop their heads as the ball sails into the water or if they are lucky the bunkers.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Ruskie will be here shortly.
    Naa, I gave up on that one We all have our favourites, and Equinelle is mine.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    What I like is that the greens were amazing even though we played twilight. Many courses see their greens get really chewed up by the afternoon.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    What I like is that the greens were amazing even though we played twilight. Many courses see their greens get really chewed up by the afternoon.
    though I was still perturbed at all the ball marks that existed.....the greens were fast as well, even for the end of the day.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    though I was still perturbed at all the ball marks that existed.....the greens were fast as well, even for the end of the day.
    Yep i spent all afternoon yesterday fixing my pitch mark and about 3 others on every hole. there were a lot, they need to send some one out to fix them all.

I love Equinelle and agree that 7-9 is one of the best run of holes in the city. It can make or break your round.

Quote Originally Posted by Gropper View Post
    I love Equinelle and agree that 7-9 is one of the best run of holes in the city. It can make or break your round.
    well, it's yet to actually MAKE my round......

I think it is a great stretch because right after you play a short, reachable Par 5 with a great scoring chance, you get kicked in the you know whats by one of the toughest par 4's around, followed by a solid par 3 and another tough par 4 to finish... The 10th hole can't show up soon enough...

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I like Equinelle but I have never played Loch March. I know a lot of guys that don't like it. Someday soon I will find out for myself.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Never played Lock March either, I really like Stonebridge for the reasons mentioned, you have to think off the tee, but the par 5s are so short.

We played the tips at E, which more or less took 80% of the fairway bunkers out of play, the blues are probably a little more entertaining off the tee. It is sorta the case, every hole you just crank one out there to a generous landing area. It seemed you have to be pushing 300 to find any of the fairway bunkers.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I preferred Equinelle over Stonebridge as I found the greens a little more "friendly". I find that Stonebridge has too severe greens. I get having a couple of undulating greens to defend against certain types of holes, however there are just too many for my liking.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I do agree that most holes at E require driver off the tee and at Loch March you need to think about what club to hit more often... but the problem I have is that at LM you are not trying to decide between driver and a fairway wood, you are having to hit 5 iron to a landing area, which is not that much fun in my opinion. I can't stand hole #3 at LM or #17 for that reason... I don't like hitting an iron off the tee on par 4's...
    You don't have to hit irons on those holes... although I agree it's generally the right play. You could opt to hit a 5-wood over the corner on #3. It's risky... but do-able. If you're hitting a 5-iron as your lay-up club on #17 then I'd argue that you're either playing the wrong set of tees or that you should be able to carry the creek with a driver. Note: I hit 3 or 4-hybrid on those holes basically every time.

I'll agree that the 7-8-9 stretch at EQ are tougher than the same hoes at LM... but numbers 7 & 8 at LM are hardly pushovers?

#7 at LM is 205 yards from the back tees and it's about 190 to carry the water and there's really no bail-out. WAY WAY harder than #8 at EQ in my opinion where I can basically hit an 8-iron to a safe spot on the green nearly every time from the back tees.

#8 at LM is a very solid hole and I'm always extremely happy with a par there. #9... well it is what it is... a relatively easy hole that you want to birdie to make up for the brutal stretch of holes coming up.

3 Wood LeftyT is on a distinguished road LeftyT's Avatar
    eQuinelle was really well taken care of this summer! Was a blast playing since it has been my best round yet! Shot a 79! Could have been a 78 but missed the last putt of the day to bogie the hole. Wicked deal after 4pm...the only annoying thing was the guy told us it was Cart Path only after my buddy paid for the round & cart. Why couldn't they have told before we paid for the cart...Needless to say it is a good course! They just need to get a real clubhouse!

Thread Information