CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road

Ottawa Sun Scramble Week

I am a little surprised there hasn't been much action on this topic yet. I'm sure there is an old thread but I am gonna start a new one instead of bumping the old one.

Who's playing? What division?

Any thoughts on the scores posted so far by the B and C divisions? I saw 1 twitter update that had the lead in the B division at -11 after 16 holes

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    -11 for 2 guys at 8 index's (or worse) each? I see the guys that won the C division were 15 indexes or worse. Is it me or does that sounds pretty low?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road
    Although my post may have been "leading the witnesses" a little bit, I am also interested in comments and experiences from competitors (as well as politely and respectfully questioning handicap validity and appropriate monitoring of divisions).

For example, this will be my 3rd time playing the Open category. Was stoked for making the cut the first year and actually posted a really good score at Eagle on the Sunday, but my teammate and I set an unrealisitic goal for Year 2 and couldn't recover after a few missed putts. 1 for 2 in cuts and the open looks as strong as ever again this year. More pros, more good golfers, and the worst part is, they are all gunnin' for the top spot - putting even more pressure on those hovering around the cut potential.

Looking forward to Friday.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    -11 for 1 round in the B = sandbaggers

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    Do not want to get into it to much about this but with organizers not asking for verification of caps you will have this problem. Played with a real low cap player at Eagle Creek for qualifying and it was fun to watch but he was in wrong division and actually I had played with him before and for him it was a bit of an off day.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    They said they verified thier caps for the 2 that posted -11. Will and I were -3 at the turn, but had a poor back 9 and finished Even. Current cut is E last time I checked and projected cut is -1 or -2, but as the greens firm up who knows.
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    all I can say is if the two lads who shot -11 go low again in rnd two then something is fishy , then again maybe they had the round of their life & if so kudos on a great round. I'll reserve future comments until round 2 is in the books

Ah I can't get a hold of Wilster I'm case we have to go back to play in the playoff.

Still holding at even par.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Yikes, that would not be cool. Answer your phone Wilster! Good luck guys.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Francey and Martin are very consistent golfers. Both are long off the tee and have great short games. Played with Francey in a match play event and his HDcp was at 8.8. They were one team I thought was the team to beat.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    Ah I can't get a hold of Wilster I'm case we have to go back to play in the playoff.

Still holding at even par.
    Either way....go there. There is another one who's partner cant' be there and are allowing him to play alone.

Congrats to Prophet for making the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouboude View Post
    Do not want to get into it to much about this but with organizers not asking for verification of caps you will have this problem. Played with a real low cap player at Eagle Creek for qualifying and it was fun to watch but he was in wrong division and actually I had played with him before and for him it was a bit of an off day.
    I agree...lots of sandbagging. the other team in our foursome said I normally shoot 80 and on an off day 85...lol. Scoring avg for the tourney is between 84-92. Two many unknowns since people donot carry hdcps. The ones at the qualifier who shot -8 were bumped to the open and the ones at -9 were even today.

Pitching Wedge prophet is on a distinguished road
    Thank you, my partner putted lights out.

Cut at-1 or -2 now

Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    Cut at-1 or -2 now
    Doh.. there is always next year. I was happy at the turn with -3. We just should have played for par. I was hitting a slice all day long, and on the 18th when I played for the slice again, I put on nice and straight into the OB bush right.

Arrrrgh... all in all a great day. Thoroughly enjoyed myself and Wilster was a great playing partner.

Three holes did us in. #2 and #4 We doubled due to errant tee shots.....I'm safe ....lol. # 11 Had an eagle putt and walked away with a par Great day though. Greens were slow and tee boxes couldve been better.

Pitching Wedge khali127 is on a distinguished road khali127's Avatar
    Tee boxes were terrible for most part, greens were shaggy in spots and rough causing lots of bouncing putts. Obviously some had no problem with the greens though so maybe just me.

Will see after round two about the results but I remember the consensus last year after the second round regarding the players who shot -5(I think) to post low score was that they were in wrong category. The scoreboard this year with -11, -9, -7, and a few -6's will obviously raise some concerns. Looking at the history of scores in this event the drop in score has been rather dramatic to say the least.

On the positive, our playing partners were great guys who made a miserable round fun to play and they made the cut. We never recovered after bogey on 3/4 first holes. Shat the bed for sure.

Well, I think they will have to look into the matter of legitimacy with the Ottawa Sun's name attached to it . I understand it's a public golf tourney but most people do not carry a Rcga card....what are some opions of how they can control or assure it's a fair playing field at all levels?

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Well, I think they will have to look into the matter of legitimacy with the Ottawa Sun's name attached to it . I understand it's a public golf tourney but most people do not carry a Rcga card....what are some opions of how they can control or assure it's a fair playing field at all levels?
    It's hard one to police , you could ask players for their last 5 scorecards , verifed and signed by a golf course official . Or have a scoring system set up on EG's website before the tourney, either way , its a helluva score to post at -11 . The course was playing pretty tough IMO , greens were receptive but a little inconsistent at times.
    You would have needed to play great golf to post lower than -5.
    As Tim said , we had a steller front nine (-3) and then the wheels came a little loose . Finished at level par , if we both had been playing our best we could have got close to -5/-6 .
    No chance we would have been any lower than that.
    Good luck on saturday to all that made the cut.
    Last edited by Wilster; 08-17-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    its a scramble not best ball, so I do believe that 8 cappers with a decent long game can post a low score playing the whites, guaranteed they have wedge in their hands every hole, not that hard really.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    its a scramble not best ball, so I do believe that 8 cappers with a decent long game can post a low score playing the whites, guaranteed they have wedge in their hands every hole, not that hard really.

If only golf was that easy

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Damn i'm supposed to play Sorcier Friday, is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Damn i'm supposed to play Sorcier Friday, is it worth it?
    Not worth the full price , but its in fair enough shape , a couple of the fairways and bunkers are in a bad way , but the greens are decent though a little inconsistant

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    No handicaps involved and everyone plays straight up, the only real fair way

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    Habsfan agree with you that a couple of 8 caps who hit it long can post a good number but -11 is an incredible number. Usually in the open A division during first round course is set up at around 6500 yards and for them that is not that long and the best scores are -12. Maybe one of those 8 caps used to be a great player and was putting second and able to get great lines and make those puts. With the guy we played with at Eagle Creek that is what he was doing. Anyways people have to keep in mind that it is for fun and actually we are considering reverse sandbagging next year if the A is held at a nice course. Extra yards are not that big a deal for us and we figure to keep it respectable maybe a few over and play a course we would not normally(clublink)

Quote Originally Posted by Bouboude View Post
    With the guy we played with at Eagle Creek that is what he was doing. Anyways people have to keep in mind that it is for fun and actually we are considering reverse sandbagging next year if the A is held at a nice course. Extra yards are not that big a deal for us and we figure to keep it respectable maybe a few over and play a course we would not normally(clublink)

Hmmmm..... interesting idea !

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    No handicaps involved and everyone plays straight up, the only real fair way epe
    its already straight up, handicap only determines your flight, they should make it a best ball then handicap would be a little less relevant.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Then I meant no flights

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    FWIW, I have played a couple rounds with Phill Martin and I think his handicap is legit. He was 9-10 last year, so it looks like it is his improvement year. Sometimes handicaps take a while to catch up... Oh, and he also won the C flight at Smugglers this spring. He and his partner also play on NCGT, their caps there are 8.8 and 8.3, calculated only from tour events.

That said, -11 is truly a remarkable score. They must have been putting lights out.

Thread Information