CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1 on a par 4

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar

1 on a par 4

Last night in our monday night rec league a player got a 1 from the front tees on the 9th hole at Renfrew Golf Club. I think it was playing about 290 to the pin from there. Not bad! Too bad he wasn't on my team.
    Andrew

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    albatross? or hole in one? or both?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    This is the only reason I still hit driver every time on our hole #4, 289 yards from whites 307 from blues and usually plays a bit down wind.
    Thank you for restoring my faith.
    Even I've never heard of me

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    The closest to an ace I ever had was also on a par 4. #3 at our course is roughly 290 and I lipped out years ago. My ball ended up 2 inches behind the hole... so close.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Par il-terrifico is on a distinguished road
    Guy aced #11 par 4 at the Marshes in a tourney a few years ago. It plays about 285 - he didn't even buy drinks....so therefore of course, he didn't really deserve it, and it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by il-terrifico View Post
    Guy aced #11 par 4 at the Marshes in a tourney a few years ago. It plays about 285 - he didn't even buy drinks....so therefore of course, he didn't really deserve it, and it doesn't count.
    lol, I'm not sure I would either - that's a really dumb (and expensive) tradition.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Doesn't the club take out insurance for something like that? Or is that a private course thing?

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Doesn't the club take out insurance for something like that? Or is that a private course thing?
    at most private courses, members pay a small fee per year into a pot for these kinda things. Nothing like a $500 bar bill on men's night, etc.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    at most private courses, members pay a small fee per year into a pot for these kinda things. Nothing like a $500 bar bill on men's night, etc.
    Our course used to do insurance for men's night hole in ones to avoid having to buy everyone in the clubhouse a drink. Now the "tradition"/rule is you buy drinks for the guys in your group (which I think is an absolute must).
    Even I've never heard of me

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar
    should be the other way around...person who makes the hole in one gets free drinks...makes more logical sense IMO

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Less false claims this way.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    On the ninth hole?? I thought that hole is over 400 yards even from the red tees because it's a par five from there. Are there other tees that I have missed on that hole?

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Yeah that's gotta be wrong - it's 431 from the whites, 426 from the reds and rarely does the wind help on that hole, if memory serves. Any claim of an ace at #9 at Renfrew borders on the impossible. Then again, it's been a couple years, maybe they've chopped a couple hundred yards off it and one must now tee off at the bottom of the gully!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    On the ninth hole?? I thought that hole is over 400 yards even from the red tees because it's a par five from there. Are there other tees that I have missed on that hole?

You guys need to get out there more often. We've installed a lot of new forward tee decks at RGC over the past few years (to make it more playable for higher handicappers) notably, on #5 and #9 on the front, and on #14, #15 and #16 on the back.
    Andrew

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    glad you clarified the forward tee boxes Andrew 'cause I was scratching my head too. Have played RGC 3x this year and never took notice of the forward tee's, still one helluva poke because that hole normally plays into the wind

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    290 yards means 7iron off the tee PW to the green for me with a 1 putt birdie hopefully!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    One of these days I'll get a hole in 1 on the Par 5 16th of Premiere at Greensmere. Unfortunately it will the the 17th cup that it drops into. I don't know what it is about that hole, but from the black tees, my draw/hook turns into a fade/slice and I've been on, or near that green a number of times. It doesn't help that the tee box and the blocks point you in that direction, but that's not an excuse.

On a side note, for those of you that play Greensmere, on the weekend we used our skycaddie to measure the distance between the 16th black tees, and the 17th green and its still 10 yards shorter than that long Par 3 the pros were complaining about during the PGA championship. I thought it was neat to put it in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    290 yards means 7iron off the tee PW to the green for me with a 1 putt birdie hopefully!
    It was driver, 9 iron, sand wedge, putt putt for bogey for me and my partner from the blues. Nipped us by 4 shots on that hole.
    Andrew

Par il-terrifico is on a distinguished road
    We have a fun deal in my foursome - guy who makes a hole in one gets $100 per man BUT he has to buy them all they want at the bar after - max 2 mixed drinks, then beer. Other 3 pay for their own cab. Maker of the ace should actually turn an undetermined profit.

Wish it has actually happened to see the results - 2 holes in one among us the last 3 years, but not when playing as the group.

Thread Information