CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar

Shared Green - Hole out on Wrong Hole

Came close to pulling this off, was wondering what my next play would have been:

- In the front bunker on #18 at Marshes, picked it clean and ball flew and landed on the green, 3 feet from the hole for #9, or ~150 feet from the fole for #18.

Whats the next play if I would have drained it on #9 inadvertently?
    Thanks.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Pick it up, count the eagle, strut into the clubhouse.
    Even I've never heard of me

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by adam781 View Post
    DQ for doing that.

Or, since the hole was made by a greenkeeper, it is considered a "hole made by a greenkeeper," that is, it is "Grounds Under Repair." Procedure: 1 club from the nearest point of relief - No penalty.

Questions:
    (1) Do you drop or place the ball when taking relief? There are occasions when you drop a ball on the green. Is this one of them?
    (2) If the hole/GUR is 100' from the proper hole, you drop/place the ball 103' from the hole and it rolls to 101' from the hole, what do you do?
    (3) May you substitute another ball when taking relief?
    (4) If, when you drop/place the ball, has been at rest for 3 or 4 seconds, and then rolls off the green, from where do you play the next stroke?
    Last edited by BC MIST; 08-10-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    See Decision 16/7 for help with this
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Here are my guesses -

Questions:
    (1) Do you drop or place the ball when taking relief? There are occasions when you drop a ball on the green. Is this one of them? As you are taking relief you drop the ball on the green. Once the ball is in play you can then mark it, pick it up, and place it down. Assuming it doesn't keep rolling back into the hole. Maybe on the third time that happening (holy cow could you imagine) you can place it.
    (2) If the hole/GUR is 100' from the proper hole, you drop/place the ball 103' from the hole and it rolls to 101' from the hole, what do you do? Ball is in play as it's not closer to the hole from where you are taking relief.
    (3) May you substitute another ball when taking relief? Only if the ball is damaged and not suitable for play.
    (4) If, when you drop/place the ball, has been at rest for 3 or 4 seconds, and then rolls off the green, from where do you play the next stroke? Assuming the ball is in play, you play it where it lies. Can't see this being any different from a ball landing on the green and then it moving due to wind, etc.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Here are my guesses -

Questions:
    (1) Do you drop or place the ball when taking relief? There are occasions when you drop a ball on the green. Is this one of them? As you are taking relief you drop the ball on the green. Once the ball is in play you can then mark it, pick it up, and place it down. Assuming it doesn't keep rolling back into the hole. Maybe on the third time that happening (holy cow could you imagine) you can place it.
    As the ball was on the green when taking relief, it must be placed, even though the relief position is not on the green 25-1b(iii)

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    That is a cool scenario for sure, I often wondered about such a situation but the ruling makes actual sense
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Devil's advocate here. From a logical standpoint, I would be more inclined to see it as an obstruction rather than GUR. I know that the hole itself that is "made by a greenkeeper" would fit the classic definition of GUR, but 99.9% of holes cut on greens contain an artificial, man-made object (hole liner), that the ball would come to rest in, or on. As well, depending on the situation, that hole is also likely to contain a flagstick, also a man-made object.

Just sayin'
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

The hole is GUR, the liner is an IO but the flagstick is an MO.

The relief entitlement and procedure is the same though.
    Last edited by AAA; 08-11-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    As the ball was on the green when taking relief, it must be placed, even though the relief position is not on the green 25-1b(iii)
    So are my other "guesses" correct? Also I assumed the relief was on the green...not that it changes anything but just sayin'.

Question 2 cannot be answered. There is no information re the nearest point of relief.
    Otherwise, yes.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam781 View Post
    thats hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    Question 2 cannot be answered. There is no information re the nearest point of relief.
    Otherwise, yes.

Thread Information