CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Public Players

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road

Public Players

It was good to see a couple of Public Players playing in some OVGA tournaments the last couple of days. I think there were two or three in the Master's at Brockville yesterday and two today in the "B" Championship. I hope they enjoyed their day and hopefully more will come on board and join in the competitions.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    I'm not really sure how it works yet but I'll be there next year once I start asking some more questions!! Definitely something I want to start doing.
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Where can we find a list of tournaments that "Public Players" are eligible to enter?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The explanation is on the OVGA website. I have looked into it so I can summarize here.

1. You must first be a member of either the Golf Quebec or GAO public player programs.
    2. You then need to join the OVGA public player program. There is a $65 annual fee for this.
    3. Once you are a member of the OVGA program you can enter any tournaments that you qualify for (age/handicap requirements) IF there is space available.

I exchanged some emails with the OVGA folks on this and the rationale for the OVGA fee and limitation to available space is that the member courses give up their courses for the various tournaments and as such the are given priority entry to the tournaments. While I'd prefer it to be first come, first serve or to have the field reduced by index I can understand their point of view.

I have to take a closer look at the rest of this year's tournament schedule to see if it's worth joining the OVGA PP program for this year or not.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Well as usual, it seems that these organizations are not clear on rules...

On the OVGA website, the Mens A Field Day at Smiths Falls says to be eligible, you must be a member of a Golf Quebec Club. There is no mention of the OVGA Public Player Program fee. Based on this, I assume you just need to pay the Golf Quebec Public Player fee of $39 to be eligible.

Maybe I am missing something here...

I'd like to play the event at Smiths Falls, and the $50 entry fee is reasonable, the $39 Quebec PP fee is reasonable but I can't justify paying another $65 for what seems to be an unnecessary OVGA fee.

Can anyone clarify this?

Best to check with the OVGA, but I believe you will need to be both a Golf Quebec member and an OVGA member to play in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Best to check with the OVGA, but I believe you will need to be both a Golf Quebec member and an OVGA member to play in that one.
    I am just curious why you think that? Based on the Tournament eligibility sheet, Quebec PP is all that is needed...

It's an OVGA run tournament, so I assume that OVGA membership is required. Like I said, best to check with them.

Thread Information