CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

Classified Forum Rant

I don't normally write these kinds of rants but without the feedback system anymore, I have no outlet and I am kinda **.

A seller had posted some kids clubs for sale - I contacted him, I made an offer, he accepted, and I told him I was out of town for a couple of days but could come by on Friday - he said that was likely ok but would let me know. I pm'd him last night, said he couldn't make it then - I asked when was good and now he tells me he sold them. Nowhere did he say he had another offer - nowhere did he say anyone was first in line, or anything else.

btw, the reason I am ** is that these were going to be a present for my daughters upcoming birthday.

More and more on the forum I and finding people with little to no classified etiquette - people posting ads and not responding (at all) or doing crap like this.

end of rant.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    agreed! but there are plenty of good people left here. The lack of a feedback system is a lousy part of the improved OG site imo.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    + 1

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    That is just not cool.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    True but hardly anybody ever left any negative feedback under the old system. Anyway perhaps I know someone who can help you. How old is she and waht do you need and what's your budget?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I'm really sorry to hear that jeff. However, I do have to agree with brucestats, most people on the classified are polite, courteous and a pleasure to do business with...although I am sure none of that is of any consolation to you at the moment...sorry mate

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    I'm really sorry to hear that jeff. However, I do have to agree with brucestats, most people on the classified are polite, courteous and a pleasure to do business with...although I am sure none of that is of any consolation to you at the moment...sorry mate
    lately things have changed. I have had many good dealings on here over the years and know there are lots of great people on this site.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    The only time I ever got kind of ** off regarding classifieds was when someone knew that I was first in line for something but wanted it so bad they convinced the seller that I didn't need the item. It's a cruel cruel world out there

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    I have to agree, i also had a deal with a seller to buy a 3 wood (and the beginnings of a deal for kids clubs), had arranged one pick up which was then cancelled and was then arranging another pick up and then no return PMs anymore, and now i see on the classified ad it is sold, with no word to me even that it is selling etc.

Needless to say, i would have left a negative feedback for them, and il certainly never even attempt a transaction with this, IMHO, unscrupulous seller. It is just too bad that we can not inform others on the board of these issues wth sellers.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    The only time I ever got kind of ** off regarding classifieds was when someone knew that I was first in line for something but wanted it so bad they convinced the seller that I didn't need the item. It's a cruel cruel world out there
    Lol, Denis . . I think I might know what you're talking about . . .
    Even I've never heard of me

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    Here's another situation:

I had an item up for sale for which a fellow member offered a fair price (by PM). I agreed and we struck a deal. The fellow member then posted on my original advert his intention to buy the item. Trying to set up an exchange date, the fellow member indicated he could not meet for a few days. I did not mind, as this fellow member was a well-respected and knowledgable contributor to the forum (as evidenced by the considerable number of well-received posts).

When I PM-ed this fellow member after the slight delay, he indicated he could not meet for an additional two weeks due to house guests. In this same PM he indicated that he understood if I sold to the item to other reasonable offers. During this two week delay, I had three low-ball / wacky offers which I did not follow-up as I was comfortable respecting the original deal.

At the end of this two week delay, I PM the fellow member again to explore an opportune time to meet. No response. After a few additional days, I send another PM. Again, no response. I send a third PM indicating my disapointment at his lack of courtesy and quoted Rule 2-4: 2-4. Concession of Match, Hole or Next Stroke: A concession may not be declined or withdrawn. Still no response.

It is clear to me this deal is dead. What is perhaps most disturbing is the inconsistency between the integrity we expect of ourselves and others on the course, yet behave so differently elsewhere.
    We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

Pitching Wedge khali127 is on a distinguished road khali127's Avatar
    That is exactly what it comes down to ...honour and integrity. Most people don't have it in their lives or on the course.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Wow, I think that's taking it a little too far. There're some unscrupulous people out there, but to say "most" don't have honor and integrity is a little over board.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I was about to post the same thing, i've done 40+ transactions on this board and maybe one or two have been less than great. 95% of people on here are pretty stand up and those that aren't normally just don't do many online transactions.

2 Iron smiths_falls is on a distinguished road
    I understand this may be frustrating, i really do...But if it was me I would simply sell it to the next buyer. You said the other offers you got were low-balls...that's fine, as long as you weren't getting reasonable offers and turning them down. What bothers me is when people offer ridiculous low ball prices and try and barter at your door. I also agree with Ruskie and John, I've had very smooth transactions for the most part on this website.

With only two exceptions, all transactions I've had with forum members have been smooth and easy. I am a thankful for that.

The low ball / wacky offers continue to amuse me. I am sure most have had offers from guys with <10 posts saying something like "I want your club right now, and can you ship it to Alberta ..."

gotta say I've done 75+ transactions here and most have been great. Lately I have found it more hit and miss.

Albatross goliath is on a distinguished road goliath's Avatar
    I have wasted so much time in the classified section selling items that it's barely worth my time anymore. It's to the point where multiple items me and the buyer came to an agreement on price and set a meeting time only be cancelled on at the last minute. It's past irritating wasting time for nothing.
    It's really hard for me to believe anybody when they tell me they want to set up a meeting date 3+ days away as in my experience it never works out.
    When I buy an item from somebody i always set up the meeting time for the day of or the next day.
    So for me it's first to pick it up that wins.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I have been a member since 2004... I have made lots of trade, sell or buy... never had a problems... even though sometime shipping was involve... or meeting at a later date down the road... etc...

Lots of great people here...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Same for me. No problems to report on my end but I do understand the frutration.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
    Here's another situation:

I had an item up for sale for which a fellow member offered a fair price (by PM). I agreed and we struck a deal. The fellow member then posted on my original advert his intention to buy the item. Trying to set up an exchange date, the fellow member indicated he could not meet for a few days. I did not mind, as this fellow member was a well-respected and knowledgable contributor to the forum (as evidenced by the considerable number of well-received posts).

When I PM-ed this fellow member after the slight delay, he indicated he could not meet for an additional two weeks due to house guests. In this same PM he indicated that he understood if I sold to the item to other reasonable offers. During this two week delay, I had three low-ball / wacky offers which I did not follow-up as I was comfortable respecting the original deal.

At the end of this two week delay, I PM the fellow member again to explore an opportune time to meet. No response. After a few additional days, I send another PM. Again, no response. I send a third PM indicating my disapointment at his lack of courtesy and quoted Rule 2-4: 2-4. Concession of Match, Hole or Next Stroke: A concession may not be declined or withdrawn. Still no response.

It is clear to me this deal is dead. What is perhaps most disturbing is the inconsistency between the integrity we expect of ourselves and others on the course, yet behave so differently elsewhere.
    Well I am pleased to post that the fellow member has recently PM-ed me and fell on his sword. The deal is still dead, but my trust in forum members has increasd accordingly.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    Well, did you put a deposit on them? If you did not then I can not say much other than "unlucky"... In my case when selling, I NEVER hold items for anybody unless they are willing to send me a deposit for it.

On a side note, trying to blame someone else for lack of present that is not going to fly well with her... post what you are looking for and perhaps a member of the forum might be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I don't normally write these kinds of rants but without the feedback system anymore, I have no outlet and I am kinda **.

A seller had posted some kids clubs for sale - I contacted him, I made an offer, he accepted, and I told him I was out of town for a couple of days but could come by on Friday - he said that was likely ok but would let me know. I pm'd him last night, said he couldn't make it then - I asked when was good and now he tells me he sold them. Nowhere did he say he had another offer - nowhere did he say anyone was first in line, or anything else.

btw, the reason I am ** is that these were going to be a present for my daughters upcoming birthday.

More and more on the forum I and finding people with little to no classified etiquette - people posting ads and not responding (at all) or doing crap like this.

end of rant.

Nationwide Player Mr. Chi is on a distinguished road Mr. Chi's Avatar
    It's scares me a little to read all these comments. I've had numerous good experiences on here with deals that have actually gone though. Battering at your door though....man.......I can't believe someone would do that if you'd already settled on terms - argh!

I do miss the iTrader system though. Even if there weren't many negative feedbacks left, I did steer clear of those who had them. And seeing that someone has had so many good dealings with fellow members has made me look over their 'for sale' postings even more!

I agree that deals should be done within a day or 2, but I make exceptions for those I have had dealings with in the past.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Nothing but positive experiences as both buyer and seller on this forum's classifieds for me, as long ago as 6 years ago, as recently as yesterday.
    Andrew

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    I have met many great buyers and sellers over the last couple of years. If you plan on being a regular seller / buyer /trader being reputable is important. I have backed off of a couple of deals because timing or details or price did not pan out. The same has happened to me as a seller. Main point is be honest , explain , communicate , most people get it. The people who strikeup a deal and then disappear or don't respond to PM's or emails are the ones that piss me off. I just put them on my 'bad' list and won't deal with them. The guys who low ball well we know who they are too and they don't get much action.

Quote Originally Posted by 314314 View Post
    Well, did you put a deposit on them? If you did not then I can not say much other than "unlucky"... In my case when selling, I NEVER hold items for anybody unless they are willing to send me a deposit for it.

On a side note, trying to blame someone else for lack of present that is not going to fly well with her... post what you are looking for and perhaps a member of the forum might be able to help.
    no I did not, nor was I asked to and the seller said we had a deal only to go incommunicato so that I couldn't even have that discussion until which point he said they were sold. What he should have done is say hey, someone else is interested, can you put a deposit down to guarantee that you want them? I told him I'd be out of town and that we'd hook up at the end of the week. He agreed. I would have gladly sent an EMT or Paypal to hold them.

As for the birthday, that has come and gone. A couple of people have come forward with some ideas but I am still looking, sort of but likely not until next spring.

Thread Information