CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge corksens is on a distinguished road

R11 - Slice Machine

Hey Guys,

This year I picked up an R11 driver (10.5 - dropped to 9.5) regular shaft when I was in the States. I had tested it at the club and was virtually certain that this was the driver for me.

Since then I can't seem to get it going and am constantly slicing the ball...a mean slice at that. I've got a swing speed around 92-97 mph and am starting to think I should have picked up a stiff shaft, it's just so damn whippy.

So what do you guys think is my best bet? Pay for a brand new stiff shaft or try and sell my existing driver in full and pick up a new one?

What a pain.

Thanks.

8 Iron Kyle_B is on a distinguished road Kyle_B's Avatar
    I have the R11 stiff shaft if you would like it. I got the stiff shaft and that wasn't stiff enough for me. I have a club head speed of around 101mph-105mph so I needed up upgrade the shaft. It doesn't have the hosel on it but if you can find one, I will put it on no charge. I'm asking $80 for the shaft. I used it a good 3 maybe 4 times.

How difficult is it to change the hosel? Can I remove the hosel from my regular shaft and put it on your stiff?

I'm going to take some pokes at the club tomorrow with a stiff. Will get back to you then. Thanks for the help.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corksens View Post
    How difficult is it to change the hosel? Can I remove the hosel from my regular shaft and put it on your stiff?

I'm going to take some pokes at the club tomorrow with a stiff. Will get back to you then. Thanks for the help.
    just take the wrench and unscrew it. Then screw in the new shaft. It shouldn't take more than 60 seconds to do this.

also have you tried playing with any of the settings (e.g. face angle, etc.)? I found this helped me dial in the right settings on my R9).
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Yea. I've adjusted the weights (just the stock ones though) and closed the face at address. Neither of them did anything for me.

I took some shots with a friends driver after finally retiring mine for the day. Hit 4 of 4 fairways with his old Ping G5 9 degree stiff shaft...

I'd really like to get my act together with the R11 though...spent enough money on it afterall.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    you can adjust more than the weights. You can tune loft, face angle, and ball flights.

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/produc...ers/r11-driver

the weights will probably do the least.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    A slice is caused when your face is open and you are coming across the ball from the outside to in. If your driver is setup properly for your swing, you should not be slicing the ball. As well, the lower the loft, the more sidespin affects ball flight. So maybe set it to 10.5 and close the face and see what happens.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

The hosel is just as easy to remove as any hosel, if not easier. The only down side is you will have to get a new ferrule as the part that has the words on it that you see when the head is attached, is made of plastic and will melt when removing the hosel. It's purely aesthetics though. I could swap them for you free of charge if you buy the shaft.

I didn't have a new part so I had to make due with what I have. Here is a picture of the club now:

It still works the same and with the white head, no one is really looking at the hosel area anyway.

PM me if interested or have any questions for me. I'll get a PM before anything.

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corksens View Post
    I've got a swing speed around 92-97 mph and am starting to think I should have picked up a stiff shaft, it's just so damn whippy.

With that swing speed, any more than a stiff shaft and you will slice the ball even more. The stiffer the shaft, the harder it is to square the clubface. The only reason you would need a stiff shaft with a sub 100 mph swing is if you have an extremely quick transition.

Journeyman beef is on a distinguished road
    I agree with fourlights , a stiff shaft is not going to help you . I tested the r 11 set it up for max draw it helped a bit . I really disliked the r11.. over hyped . Try a Ping k15 or super fast.

I used the Ping G15 and really liked it. I can't wait to try the G20. I have yet to find the perfect setup for my R11, which is why I always go back to my "old faithful" R7. I love the R7 more then any other driver in my bag (I have a few in there).

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    When pulling the ferrule out for a shaft change put a washer with a tiny hole and use the attaching screw . Then pull it out with your graphite shaft puller exerting pressure against the washer. Direct the heat away from the top of the ferrule, That way the ferrule will come out intact.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I'd rather just melt it off and make sure the epoxy is nice and loosened to ensure I don't damage the shaft. To each his own though.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Instead of fiddling around with weights and lifts and face angles and blah blah blah, just work on fixing your swing... Set the club up with standard loft, face angle and weighting and see what happens...
    With that swing speed I can't see why you need a stiff shaft.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Agreed. Don't mess with the club too much, put it back to the defaults and don't blame it for everything. If you slice the crap out of it, then work on an inside-out swing path and strengthening your grip

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Instead of fiddling around with weights and lifts and face angles and blah blah blah, just work on fixing your swing... Set the club up with standard loft, face angle and weighting and see what happens...

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Very true but some clubs just won't go left. Been there done that. Moreover some folks can't differentiate between a block and a slice.And the shaft label does not mean squat imho.

I'd rather just melt it off and make sure the epoxy is nice and loosened to
    ensure I don't damage the shaft. To each his own
    though.
    To each his own is correct but I assure you that the method I've described will not damage the shaft. If you are going to keep it for yourself then no problem if you are OK with the looks but a different story if you're trying to sell it. Good luck.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

To update everyone (thanks for the input so far), I got out with my pro and played around with some things.

He diagnosed what was wrong with my swing (stood too close to the ball and had to pull up in order to avoid the ground - when I did that I wasn't closing the face at all). Oddly enough though I still naturally had shots going right, just not as hard. So we started moving up the shaft options. Started with a 60 gram regular stiff shaft and the problem got alittle less noticeable. We then moved to the 55 gram TP stiff shaft and for whatever reason the slice was fixed almost altogether. I actually started to have a tendency to pull them left slightly.

I hate to think I'm going to have to go out and buy an overpriced TP stiff shaft, but man was I hitting it better than with both the regular and standard stiff.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a decently priced TP stiff 55 gram? haha...

Thread Information