CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar

For your viewing pleasure...

Oh man, I just got a hold of some swing videos. How the hell did I get my cap this low with this awful swing? hahah

Enjoy!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74XrdTcGNK8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T2UF9b_V-o

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Don't ever video your swing unless you are prepared to feel sick.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    The iron is not bad..... Driver is funny. Look how much your whole body lifts . Still, your cap is a lot lower than mine!

I know, it's ridiculous how much I lift. At least I know what I'm going to be working on when I go to the range next!

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Why lift so much?
    I can't talk seeing as my cap has gone up 3 points in the last couple weeks . . wanna loan me that camera??
    Even I've never heard of me

You think I do it on purpose? lol I had no idea I even did that!
    My friend recorded me with an iPhone app that cost him $5, I can't remember the name but its cool that it records you in slow-mo. When you export it gets a bit choppier it seems because on the phone it was super smooth.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I've seen a few people on the range with their iphones on tripods now. I will have to borrow one soon to see what I'm doing "by accident" (its a golf swing, everything is on purpose isn't it??)
    Even I've never heard of me

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar
    I'm obviously by no means a swing expert but IMHO the whole "head dipping" through impact flaw seems to be blown out of proportion. Look at guys like Lee Westwood and Jeff Overton and how much they drop their head. I understand it may not be ideal (or aesthetically pleasing) to have a lot of head movement but if it's not totally crazy then I wouldn't worry too much about it...I feel like there are other aspects of a swing that may not look so obvious on a video but are just as (if not more) important than dipping a little at impact. Not really sure where I'm going with this....but my 2 cents nonetheless.

I don't think dipping is bad, my issue is that in the backswing I'm getting very upright and away from the ball. I think I'd dip anyways, but moving back away from the ball like I'm doing can't be good.
    Looking at any pro videos, including Westwood and Overton, they don't move the head in the backswing much, it only drops in the downswing.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    ya but at least you're keeping your balance and returning to impact position. Swing looks pretty good in many ways to me. I'd be more interested in a side view.

Hmm, yea I went back to look and compare and it does seem like even though I'm all weird in the backswing, I do come back at impact.
    Lined up frames from setup and impact, head is pretty close:

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    ya but at least you're keeping your balance and returning to impact position. Swing looks pretty good in many ways to me. I'd be more interested in a side view.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    you can download swingreader from the app store, there is a $5 version or a free version. my recommendation dont record your swing it makes you think about way to much.
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

You can't get better if you don't know what you're doing wrong, though
    Whenever I've taken lessons I've been taped and you can really pinpoint what needs to be worked on to fix something.
    I ended up buying V1Pro last night by the way.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    that is true, i still do video tape my swing when i cant figure it out and i usually will find that little mistake very quickly. in the past though i found i became to analytical when reviewing the videos and it casued me to become very mechanical in my swing. IMO only use the video when things are really bad
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    When I video myself, I do it when I'm the only one on the range. Otherwise I get the feeling that people are thinking "Who does this guy think he is?"

Answer:

I'm a guy who thinks you're thinking 'who do I think I am'.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Pitching Wedge sandbagger is on a distinguished road
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ9RslESKAA
    this is eerily similar to your iron swing. i thought it was a little funny

Awwww, cmon! Hers is a lot worse

Quote Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ9RslESKAA
    this is eerily similar to your iron swing. i thought it was a little funny

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Oh man, I just got a hold of some swing videos. How the hell did I get my cap this low with this awful swing? hahah
    What is your normal ball flight?

Keep in mind that having an inside path to the ball, a flat lead wrist at impact and relatively square face at separation is all you really need for good ball striking. Your lead wrist is flat at the top of the backswing and you start back then down at the transition, so the swing is good. The answer to the above question will indicate club face position.

That you move up a little coming back is nothing unless having a "prettier" swing is important to you. Moe Norman moved back and up too, and he didn't do too badly.

Normal ball flight is usually towards the lower side, I almost never get higher shots unless I have it teed up or I'm in the rough.
    The only thing I thought would help by not moving up in the backswing is more consistency with impact in terms of where I'm hitting the ball, since I sometimes do hit it more towards the bottom of the clubface. I imagine that's the reason for the lower ball flight.

Honestly, as long as I get the job done, I don't care what it looks like

Thread Information