100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

McIlroy to commentator: 'Shut up'

Jeev Milkha Singh eclipsed the big names in Thursday's Irish Open first round with an exhilarating eight-under 63, but the Indian player's feats failed to overshadow U.S. Open champion Rory McIlroy.

More...

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Jeev Milkha Singh eclipsed the big names in Thursday's Irish Open first round with an exhilarating eight-under 63, but the Indian player's feats failed to overshadow U.S. Open champion Rory McIlroy.

More...
    Pretty immature stuff from McIlroy. It's common for any golf commentator to criticize a player's course management when things go bad, not sure why he took such offense.

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    The bloom is off the rose. This is truly ugly behavior.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I'm not condoning McIlroys rant at all, but just a little insight.."shut up" does NOT have the same offensive quotant in the UK as it does here. People say it all the time and no-one takes too much offence at it. I was a little shocked at the reaction I got when I first said it here as I had no idea it was deemed so rude here...(along with a few other common choice English words which I discovered at Rugby practices seem more unacceptable here)
    That said...McIlroy's public rant is pretty immature

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    It was a stupid comeback from Rory , apparently this commentator has been on his case over the last 3 years , and , he played right into his game.
    Still a bit of maturing to go on this one.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar
    Agreed it's a little immature and rash to blurt out exactly what you're feeling in such a public way...especially when you are held to a higher standard being a high profile athlete. BUT, part of me likes that he told the guy off. Reporters are allowed to say whatever they want (pretty much) and the athlete/celebrity is expected to take the "high road" all the time. Seems like a continuation of an ongoing feud between these two so there is probably some pent up feelings on both sides. All in all, it gets blown out of proportion because it's Rory...but he better get used to it now because after the US Open win everything he does will be scrutinized to the nth degree.
    Last edited by northern33; 07-29-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    The commentator is a little extreme. Rory shot -1, and is told: "McIlroy's course management was shocking. Some of the worst course management I have ever seen beyond under-10 boys' golf competition" Thats an insult. I'm a pretty polite fellow, and even I might have been tempted to tell that guy to shut up also.
    Andrew

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I still scratch my head and wonder... Why is it alright to abuse someone because they become "famous"? And then... Why is it so confounding when that person stands up for themselves, or in this case, for someone who is NOT famous and does NOT have the ability to defend themselves?
    Perhaps Rory should have done the mature thing (at 22 who of us would have done more, which does not excuse him one bit...) and let it go.
    Just another case of a nobody reporter (hack ex-golfer at that) NOT doing his job, that is being the story, rather than reporting the story.
    What a waste of his "fifteen minutes of fame".

Unfortunately, it is because with fame and exposure and fabulous wealth go responsibility...responsibility to be gracious, have respect, integrity and to be a role model to the thousands upon thousands of youngsters who look up to you.

It may not be "fair", it certainly isn't easy (esp at 22) and it may not even be a very fashionable concept anymore. However it is, I believe, true and I'm sure McIlroy will mature to be all those things as well as a great golfer. I for one certaainly hope so

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Good on Rory, i for one think the commentator deserved everything he got.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    Unfortunately, it is because with fame and exposure and fabulous wealth go responsibility...responsibility to be gracious, have respect, integrity and to be a role model to the thousands upon thousands of youngsters who look up to you.
    The problem is, most celebrities aren't asking to be a role model. Some may accept that responsibility, but it's the media/general public that say "you're a role model, you should behave better." Rory may have understood the consequences of his fame, but he doesn't have to put up with bull from some loud mouth nobody.

I just wish more golfers would put Johnny Miller in his place.
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    T
    I just wish more golfers would put Johnny Miller in his place.
    At least Miller has valid opinions and insight. He's a hall of fame golfer, who has been there and done that. While his opinions may not be popular or voiced in a vanilla, "please the masses" sort of way, he is usually correct. I wish more analysts were like Miller and less like "oh no" Faldo.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    lol, I like Miller but I wouldn't begrudge one of the players for throwing some attitude his way, he's kind of a loose cannon, which I find entertaining.

I like Miller too. While I dont think it fair or valid to overly criticise players in a sensationalist way, like Townsend did to McIlroy, I also dont think players should be above criticism. Like when Faldo had the temerity to criticise Woods' swing a few years back...it was like he had spoken heresy!
    Miller calls it as he sees it...and like fourlights said...his opinion has more validity because of his background. As long as they critique a players technique or on course play i think its fine...when it gets personal (as the McIlroy case seems to be) then its crossed the line

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Just another case of a nobody reporter (hack ex-golfer at that) NOT doing his job, that is being the story, rather than reporting the story.
    What a waste of his "fifteen minutes of fame".
    Hack ex-golfer? Anyone who has played professional golf at the level of the European Tour would not classified a "hack."

Odd choice of words, there.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Hack ex-golfer? Anyone who has played professional golf at the level of the European Tour would not classified a "hack."

Odd choice of words, there.
    Did not say "golf hack", hack was used in relation to his current "profession". Def: "Hack" (noun) - "a mediocre and disdained writer".

Thread Information