CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge jimmycox is on a distinguished road

Fairway Woods (3-5 woods) VS. 3 and 4 Iron Hybrids. Difference and Suggestions

I've been looking to buy 3 and 4 iron hybrids, but can't figure out the difference between those and a 5 wood (when they are the same degree). What is the difference between these clubs? Also, any suggestions on which brands make good hybrids? I've heard Adams Golf and Cleveland Golf produce quality hybrids.

Thanks

Jimmy

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    A 3/4 hybrid should have a higher loft than a 5W although with the loft games these days you never know.

Irrespective of loft the 5W should be several inches longer than the 3H.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Yeah I would agree with jvincent. A 3 hybrid might be able to replace a 5 wood, but not a 3 wood. You would have to see the lofts of the clubs and the length of the woods would certainly be longer.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycox View Post
    I've been looking to buy 3 and 4 iron hybrids, but can't figure out the difference between those and a 5 wood (when they are the same degree). What is the difference between these clubs? Also, any suggestions on which brands make good hybrids? I've heard Adams Golf and Cleveland Golf produce quality hybrids.

Thanks

Jimmy
    I don't know of any 3 or 4 hybrids that have the same loft has a 5w witch is usually 18* or 19* and if you find one, all it is is a stronger lofted head, a marketing ploy to make you feel good that you hit you 4 numbered hybrid with a 20* loft ( a normal 4i these days is 23 to 25 deg. ) real long when if fact it has the loft of a 2i witch is about the same as a 5w.

Look for the club that will give you the yardage you are looking to achieve and forget about what it says on the sole.

3 Wood dwalker is on a distinguished road dwalker's Avatar
    I currently have 14 degree, 17 degree and 23 degree hybrids which for me replace a 3 wood, 5 wood and 4 iron. I find no loss of distance compared to the clubs I replaced, with added bonus a better control and higher ball flight. When I'm struggling with my swing I can always count on hitting these 3 clubs well.
    Slice, hook, or straight down the middle. It all looks the same on the score card.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    "Look for the club that will give you the yardage you are looking to achieve and forget about what it says on the sole."

This makes a lot of sense to me (high handi-capper). It's not what it says on the club/box, it's what it does for you. Take your clubs to GT or a range and try out a variety of Hybrid to fill in the gaps left when you take your other clubs out. When I got my TM set in 2005, I took out the 3i & 4i and replaced with 3H and 5H. They give me distances (when I hit them) between my 5i and 5W, and that's all that matters. I've heard it said often that longer clubs are harder to hit, if so the H clubs should be easier. I also use mine in "rescue" situations that would not be suitable for either a W or the 3-4i. Best of luck.

Thread Information