CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Long Putts

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar

Long Putts

Need some advice before a fitting. It seems like every putt I take from longer than 15' the ball skips, skids and bounces within the first 4-7' of contact before settling down. This of course creates all sorts of problems. I still seem to be able to lag it within 5' or so, but it's extremely rare that I sink a putt over 10-12'. Any suggestions?

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    A couple of suggestions:

- Maybe you're hitting the ball on the downward portion of the stroke? Try moving the ball more forward in your stance.

- Concentrate on keeping the putter head closer to the ground throughout the swing.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    try a shorter backswing and accelerating through the ball. It can take some getting used to.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Caddy PowerFade is on a distinguished road PowerFade's Avatar
    This is exactly what I was going to write. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    - Maybe you're hitting the ball on the downward portion of the stroke? Try moving the ball more forward in your stance.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor View Post
    Need some advice before a fitting. It seems like every putt I take from longer than 15' the ball skips, skids and bounces within the first 4-7' of contact before settling down. This of course creates all sorts of problems. I still seem to be able to lag it within 5' or so, but it's extremely rare that I sink a putt over 10-12'. Any suggestions?
    Since most putters have very shallow faces, is it possible that your contact on the ball is below its equator and to high on the putter face? Raising the putter off the green just before you take it back not only smoothens out the stroke, but encourages equator contact and less bouncing.

While a tap stroke may be fine for short putts, one that has a more even tempo, may result is less left hand breakdown. It is paramount that you keep the left hand flat right through the stroke.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor View Post
    Since most putters have very shallow faces, is it possible that your contact on the ball is below its equator and too high on the putter face? Raising the putter off the green just before you take it back not only smoothens out the stroke, but encourages equator contact and less bouncing.

While a tap stroke may be fine for short putts, one that has a more even tempo, may result is less left hand breakdown. It is paramount that you keep the left hand flat right through the stroke.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Interesting, this could be it. I'll have to keep this in mind. Thanks BC MIST!
    As far as moving the ball farther forward as suggested by jeffc, I'm leery of this as I already have a tendancy to pull the ball left of the hole and putting it farther forward in my stance is most likely going to magnifiy this. But thanks all for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Since most putters have very shallow faces, is it possible that your contact on the ball is below its equator and too high on the putter face? Raising the putter off the green just before you take it back not only smoothens out the stroke, but encourages equator contact and less bouncing.

Thread Information