100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Iron mmills820105 is on a distinguished road

Time for new irons

After playing with my knock-off clubs for two summers, I am finally going to bite the bullet and get a new set. I have decided upon the Cobra SS-i after hitting every club out there (pretty much.) I am getting a good price of $350CDN on them, but I am wondering, I see some people on this board carry only 5,6,7,8,9,PW in their bags, and them some extra woods or a hybrid. My question is, how can you purchase just the 5,6,7,8,9,PW? Where I'm from (Newfoundland), you can only get them from 3-PW. I never hit my 3 or 4 (very well anyway) so I could use that space for another hybrid or wood. 5-PW would be ideal for me.

Tks.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmills820105
    Where I'm from (Newfoundland), you can only get them from 3-PW. I never hit my 3 or 4 (very well anyway) so I could use that space for another hybrid or wood. 5-PW would be ideal for me.
    Virtually every OEM everywhere only sells 3-PW, which is a huge rip-off in today's market IMHO. Almost all the OEM's make hybrids and 7 woods to replace long irons (even Callaway & Titleist), but you have to spend more $$$ to purchase them separately. I believe only Adams and Ping sell sets that can include hybrids (there may be others) - unless you go to a clubmaker to build you a set from components.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by mmills820105
    After playing with my knock-off clubs for two summers, I am finally going to bite the bullet and get a new set. I have decided upon the Cobra SS-i after hitting every club out there (pretty much.) I am getting a good price of $350CDN on them, but I am wondering, I see some people on this board carry only 5,6,7,8,9,PW in their bags, and them some extra woods or a hybrid. My question is, how can you purchase just the 5,6,7,8,9,PW? Where I'm from (Newfoundland), you can only get them from 3-PW. I never hit my 3 or 4 (very well anyway) so I could use that space for another hybrid or wood. 5-PW would be ideal for me.

Tks.
    Ping will let you buy 5,6,7,8,9,pw,uw,sw instead of 3-pw.

You'll also get custom fitted. Ping is one of those brands you either love them or hate them.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Virtually every OEM everywhere only sells 3-PW, which is a huge rip-off in today's market IMHO. Almost all the OEM's make hybrids and 7 woods to replace long irons (even Callaway & Titleist), but you have to spend more $$$ to purchase them separately. I believe only Adams and Ping sell sets that can include hybrids (there may be others) - unless you go to a clubmaker to build you a set from components.
    Hogan has a set like this also.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I purchased a partial set of Cobra SSi irons(4 to 9) this past summer at one of our local Pro shops. They ordered them directly from Acushnet Golf which owns Titleist and Cobra brands. Maybe you could contact Acushnet Golf and find out if some proshop near you does the same.

I couldn't hit my old 4 iron worth beans but I am amazed how well I can hit the Cobra SSi 4 iron. I love newer technology.

5 Iron themob is on a distinguished road
    Why not try a set of Snake Eyes, KZG or Wishon irons?

I have only used Snake Eyes, but all are supposed to be good. Get them at a much lower price than the Cobras or whatever and with your exact desired specs.

Otherwise the Hogan Apex line with the hybrid 3/4 is a solid choice.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar

Where for $350?

Where did you find the SSIs for $350 CDN? Your post is almost identical to my story - I seem to like the SSIs the best of the OEMs (although Ping i3+ were mighty nice as well). I am still looking into the custom component route but at $350 CDN that starts to bring the price out of the equation.

5 Iron mmills820105 is on a distinguished road
    Got a friend who works at Pro Golf. Sorry.

7 Iron laxgolf is on a distinguished road

4-gw

I bought my Mizuno's 4-GW earlier this year. The retailer (Golftown) simply swapped out the 3 iron for a MP GW. It didn't cost me more. Any retailer should be able to do it. All they have to do is order their next set without the club you didn't get and sub the 3 iron into the set when it arrives.

beatnik58
    Adams has a great set of 5-PW and #3 and #4 hybrids

Thread Information