+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Re-finishing a PING DOC putter

I have this putter and I have already had it sent to PING 5 yrs ago when the finish started to flake. They kindly sent me a brand new putter. Now the same thing is happening but besides the cosmetics the flaking is right at the sweet spot and is pretty rough. I love this putter and would love to keep it.

Does anyone know who can remove the old electroplating (Nickel I think) and can put a nice finish on it?

Thanks, Luc
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    there seems to be alot of quality refinishers in the states. That being said, it is likely still more cost effective to just buy another DOC, boring strategy but easier on the wallet
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    True, but they will likely have the same problem as I have already returned one of the putters and this is the replacement with the flaking happening again. Much to my surprise though, PING answered back yesterday telling me to send the putter back again for replacement. This is very odd since I called at the end of last season for the same problem and they told me there would be no replacements. I guess email is the way to go. They also suggested that I look at a new PING putter but they did not say if they would give it to me as a replacement so I had to ask again, go figure, they do not allow replies on email inquiries so I had to make another.
    Last edited by leftylucas; 07-13-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I think any plating shops in town would be able to do it for you. Chemically strip it and refinish it.

Thanks John, I will check it out if PING does not offer up a new putter. I have been using this putter for 5 years and I really do not want to give it up.
    Lefty Lucas

I brought my putter in to GT yesterday and they are sending it to PING for evaluation. The GT rep indicated that the flaking was not abundant, that the location on the sweet spot would definitely affect play. If the putter is deemed unfit for play then PING have offered me a putter from their Scottsdale Series as a replacement. I tried out the new Wolverine centre shaft and I really liked the soft insert and the weight of the putter. Its very much like the Craz-e putter look for alignment. I should know in a week or so what PING has decided.
    Attached Images
    Lefty Lucas

3 Wood minew1545 is on a distinguished road minew1545's Avatar

Refinish

Send head to Putter Pating in Minnesota..(Kevin)
    He can change finish to what ever you need to make putter more durable for wear.

Thanks, I will keep it in mind if things do not work out for me.
    Lefty Lucas

PING has approved the replacement of the putter but they do not have the DOC so they are sending me a new Wolverine from their Scottsdale Series. It is being shipped today. I luckily found another DOC which also has the flaking problem but not on the face so if the Wolverine does not work then I will try to use the DOC.
    Lefty Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by minew1545 View Post
    Send head to Putter Pating in Minnesota..(Kevin)
    He can change finish to what ever you need to make putter more durable for wear.
    I emailed Kevin for a quote and he told me $90 with a nickel finish. I found another DOC on the forum and I will buy it and have it done. Hopefully it will last this time. I have the new putter and played Greensmere on Sunday and again on Tuesday. It was much better on Tuesday, great distance control and super nice feel. I am very happy with it so far and will keep using it until the DOC gets back to me. Thanks again for the link.
    Lefty Lucas

I sent my putter to Kevin Colbert, I paid for the Black Oxide and when he finally and sent it back it (4 mths later) the finish immediately came off with every putt and even came off when I slipped my head cover on. It looks like crap and when I told him about it he said to send it back and he would do it over again. He also did not put in the shaft correctly as there is a minor but noticeable movement in the head. I explained to him that these shafts have a ball bearing in the hosel but apparently he thought he could still do it. I paid good money for the service and waiting 3 and a half months to get it back so needless to say I am very disappointed in the result. He has great reviews for doing Scotties except for the time it takes to get the putter back. I have no choice but to send it back to him, I would not recommend him to anyone after my experience.
    Lefty Lucas

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    that sucks Luc...I think the only time to get these done is over the winter. 4 months is way too long and with the resultant work, sounds even worse. I know he has been highly recommended by others. Are you going to send it back for a redo?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Yes Jeff, I texted him the day I got the putter back and putted on the practice green at Casselview and saw the balls had taken the finish off. He said he did not understand what happened. I sent him all the info on the putter. His wait time is ridiculous for sure but there are many posts about it. Right now I do not care, he "assured" me he would do it right away. Let's see what happens
    Attached Images
    Lefty Lucas

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Is that black oxide or an anodized finish Luc? I didn't think you could put black ox on aluminum?

Its black oxide so no wonder it is not adhering, you would think that he would know that, I sent him all of the specifications of the putter. He also just admitted to me that he epoxied the head and shaft which is a big no-no since it is a ball bearing installation. Goflworks wont even do it. I will not send him back the head until PING assures me that they can re-install the shaft.
    Lefty Lucas

Thread Information