+ Reply to Thread
    Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar

Question Graphite Iron Shafts

I'm looking to put together a new set of irons. I am thinking about trying out a graphite shaft to see what they are like in irons. I hit an average ball, i.e., 150-160 yard 7 iron, average/slightly high trajectory, straight with maybe a hint of draw. Swing tempo is average, maybe slightly quick. I seem to prefer regular flex steel shafts over stiff. I am leaning towards a 431 cast iron such as GolfWork's CER 701+ 3C. I am going to put a 5 iron together for a test drive before putting the whole set together. My static fit dimensions are dead average and I typically fit fine to clubs off the shelf.

I have done a bit of research and here are some shafts I have come up with that would seem to suit me:
    - Grafalloy ProLite Iron or ProLogic
    - UST ProForce Rv2 75 Iron
    - Aldila Tour Gold 85 Iron
    - Royal Precision Graphite Iron
    - GolfWorks CER (Nickel Butt or FW70)

I would like to keep lengths similar to steel shafted clubs with the swing weight in the D1-D2 range.

Any insight/suggestions/additions to this list? Any feedback from people who know what they are doing in club building would be appreciated.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Because the weight of a steel shaft is heavier than a graphite, the swingweight of a graphite shafted iron will be "lighter." If you like the D2 range you will have to increase the headweight or have the club a little longer, by .5" to 1". This is what's most commonly done. If you are determined to have the clubs the same length, it is best to add a brass or tungsten plug to the weight port down the hosel, assuming the heads have one. If there is no weight port, putting sufficient lead or tungsten powder down the shaft to increase the head weight by as much as you may need, may mean the the top of the cork will be above the top of the hosel, possibly creating a shear point, where the graphite fibres gradually wear out from the inside. Lengthening is the simplest solution.

I have used sets of the Prologic shafts, the Rifle graphites (75g) and a set of UST Proforce 95's. If you were interested in trying one of each of these shafts in a selected head, before you make your final decision on the shafts, let me know.

I have settled on SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 "S" shafts in my irons and just love them. They are about $20, are better made than the ones above and available from Golfquip.(Dynacraft in Canada) My 7 iron distance is about 150 yards, as well.

If you are interested in the above offer, or if I can answer an other questions, let me know.

Thread Information