CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar

Mixed Martial Arts

Anyone out there a fan of the great sport of mixed martial arts? UFC or Pride FC? My user name make sense to anyone?

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Anyone out there a fan of the great sport of mixed martial arts? UFC or Pride FC? My user name make sense to anyone?
    Sorry. Can't afford to pay $45 to watch grown men rolling around in crab holds... If there was more kung-fu or other punch/kick stuff to watch, I'd enjoy it, but those jiu-jitsu guys are super boring to watch IMO.

Have a friend who does ultimate fighting though...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hey, at least you replied.... My post on the mma forum I belong to entitled: "Does anyone out there golf?" has gone unnoticed for many months.

..bump.. Any new members who may have missed this last year?

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Love watching it. Once I got an understanding of grappling and the skill involved it is an absolutely amazing sport. If you like watching boxing, this sport is way more exciting (not to mention safer for the athletes). At least they can try to hit each other in a clench.

Don't have the balls to do it (or the training for that matter).

Went to watch KOTC in Calgary last weekend. Amazing seeing it live!
    Heading back to Ottawa and hoping to find some MMA go watch in the Spring. If you know of any, let me know.
    I'm not one for buying videos or PPV, so I am relegated to watching re-runs of UFC Unleashed until the next cable special is on or go to a bar that carries the PPV events.

S.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    I've Watched it for years, looking forward to UFC 57 Liddell, Couture 3. Also my best friend competes in montreal every few months as a heavy weight. Just starting out in smaller venues but looking forward to getting to bigger shows soon.

Gropper

Haleluijah! (sp?)

I know Couture is going to defeat Lidell in the rubber match. I can't wait for that one.

Actually we Canadians have a few "stars" in this sport: Georges St-Pierre, Patrick Cote, Garrry "Big Daddy" Goodrich, and Carlos Newton.

Canadians are (I would suggest) 5th in the world in terms of produce top level fighters, (after Brazil, Russia, USA, and Japan).

I hope we get to see St-Pierre vs Hughes soon and lets not forget about about David (the Crow) Loiseau! from Montreal, that boy can fight!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Ya i can't wait for the Liddell.Couture fight either. I watched the last two UFC reality shows and they were pretty good. I think that Forrest kid has a great future as well as the other guy that won on the first show. Can't remember his name, but he's an unbelievable fighter!

Out of Bounds buckylasek is on a distinguished road buckylasek's Avatar
    I have som taek wondo basics. If someone wants to fight , i'm ok/

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    Ya i can't wait for the Liddell.Couture fight either. I watched the last two UFC reality shows and they were pretty good. I think that Forrest kid has a great future as well as the other guy that won on the first show. Can't remember his name, but he's an unbelievable fighter!
    Diego Sanchez.

That show has done a lot to raise the profile of the sport.

check out www.mma-fighter.com (warning: their forum is a little less um, sophisticated than this one)

And of course Loiseau is a 1st class fighter as well. I forgot him in my list, which is by no means complete, I was just excited to see other golfers interested in mma.

Just in case anyone has a 1/2 hour to down load a highlight vid, I just noticed this vid of my all-tim favourite fighter (and Av's namesake) It is really interesting, as it starts with a bouch of Sak's theatrical (WWe-style) ring entrances, and progresses to some of his fights, and it doesn't only show his successes. It has some of the brutal losses he's suffered recently.

Warning: some of the images are quite violent, also I'm not sure if the link will work, here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/w/Kazushia-Sa...P5w&search=MMA

3 Wood jet84 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Haleluijah! (sp?)

I know Couture is going to defeat Lidell in the rubber match. I can't wait for that one.

Actually we Canadians have a few "stars" in this sport: Georges St-Pierre, Patrick Cote, Garrry "Big Daddy" Goodrich, and Carlos Newton.

Canadians are (I would suggest) 5th in the world in terms of produce top level fighters, (after Brazil, Russia, USA, and Japan).
    Don't forget about David Loiseau.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Freedom fight 2006

You guys going to the Freedom fight 2006 US vs Canada this Saturday in Hull?

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

I can't make it but it should be a very entertaining show.

Wanted to but not going to be here

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I am not a UFC fanatic. I hate grappling. I think it kills the fitting art. K-1 is a lot better.
    K-1 is a martial arts fighting sport which fuses centuries of tradition from martial arts such as karate, kung fu, tae kwon do and kickboxing (the "K") into a thoroughly modern and electrifying spectator sport, to determine the single best stand-up fighter in the world (the "1").

K-1 rules allow fighters from many different disciplines to compete, and the elaborate production values of K-1 events makes these extravaganzas a veritable feast for the senses. Since its introduction in 1993 under the direction of founder Master Kazuyoshi Ishii, K-1 has become one of the world's fastest-growing sports.

Honour and respect rule in the K-1 arena, combatants draw on their finely-honed skills to deliver the artful punches and kicks that have wowed millions and made K-1 the terrific success that it is. You don't have to be a martial arts aficionado to enjoy K-1: People everywhere enjoy action and excitement, and K-1, the world's premier fighting sport, delivers.

http://www.so-net.ne.jp/feg/k-1gp/atop.htm
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

I love K-1, but my favourite is Pride Fighting. There are many K-1 fighters who move to Pride. I prefer Pride to K-1, and I even prefer UFC to K-1, just because for me the logical progression of a fight is to allow it to go to grappling. I think a fighter should have to think twice about throwing a rounghouse kick if there is a possibility that an olympic-calibre wrestler will take him down if he misses that kick.

What I don't like is when a fighter is losing, and simply because he's a superior wrestler, he will hold his opponent down for the duration of the match to avoid the "stand-up". But that was a problem much more with the old ufc and Pride. The referees now will force the fighters to stand up if they are not active on the ground.

I would call Pride the world's premier fighting sport, with all due repect to K-1, its like comparing the Nationwide to the PGA Tour.

Albatross sandbagger72 is on a distinguished road sandbagger72's Avatar
    i'm a big vanderlei silva fan, is that who is in the pic with sakuraba.

love pride fighting and k-1
    Proost!

3 Wood jet84 is on a distinguished road
    Coming in March/06

David Loiseau vs. Rich Franklin
    Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn

Igor

Quote Originally Posted by sandbagger72
    i'm a big vanderlei silva fan, is that who is in the pic with sakuraba.

love pride fighting and k-1
    It is a pic from the Grand Prix final in 2000 where Sakuraba lost to Russian heavyweight Igor Vovchanchyn.

Vanderlei has beaten my man 3 different times. The closest was their first fight.

Thread Information