100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar

George Lowe putter

I was golfing with a guy at the Canadian yesterday and he told me a story where he picked up a George Lowe putter for $10 during a trip in Eastern Canada. He took it to GT to have the grip changed and was told not to touch it since its a very rare putter. He looked it up on the internet and its worth over $500. I`ve never heard of George Lowe putters...any of you guys know anything?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    A George Low Wizard was Jack Nicklaus's putter for most of his career. Kind of like Tiger's NP2.

Par Sparkplug is on a distinguished road Sparkplug's Avatar
    The originals such as what Jack played with are extremely rare, there are a bunch of reproductions (but very good quality, I have the RAM brand version at home and probably worth $10) as the putter style was quite popular.

As a side note, they were not popular when introduced and to move inventory the manufacturer made a deal with a tire company and you actually received one when you bought a set if tires back in the day. I can't remeber if it was Good Year or Firestone. There is a very old GDigest article about this.

The market for golf club collectables has fallen off for many years and been redirected to Scotty's and other high end lines.

At one time an original GL, If I remember the model correctly was a 600 and would fetch in the mid 4 digit range. Mostly from Japanese collectors at the time.

Jack's putter was stolen at an exhibition he played in Japan, made a big splash in the Japanese sporting pages and was returned a few days later.

Also, if you have a truly original Scottsdale Anser, you used to be able to get in the mid 4 figure range as well.

Original Bulls Eye's without the acushnet mark and just the designer name used to fetch 200-300 dollars. Probabley $10 now.

Current prices are nowhere near what the market was in the 80's but I would hold on to it if it is a true original the market may one day come back.

If you are into collecting club models with a history now is probably a good time.

When in Scotland a few years back Auchterlonie's (sp) in St. Andrews had a "Hickory Room" that if you asked you could go in an look and purchase collectables. The putter room was quit interesting and you could pick p a collectable putter with provenance for 80-200 pound sterling.

Thread Information