100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    6 Iron Tullamore is on a distinguished road
    Played Whitetail (first time) on the weekend - great track - the greens were fast- course is in excellant shape
    well worth the drive
    -very friendly service as well!

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    I think one of those 9 employees must be used exclusively to replace the stones in the traps. Played the executive on Friday and met a mother turkey with 3 baby chicks on the 16th fairway and got some nice pictures. Made the day !

5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road
    Played Loch March yesterday (August 16).
    Some bugs at times. Got lucky with a decent breeze most of the afternoon.
    Fairways, teeboxes are in great shape.
    Greens were hit and miss. Lots divots that weren't fixed. Lots of feet dragging on the greens, roughed it up.

Overall still good time.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    YIKES YIKES---played Hammond for the first time in 2 years----what happened ???? It's to the point that it's a toss-up between Hammond and Bearbrook for a quick round at last minute---Bearbrook wins-closer and cheaper.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

3 Wood triple-bogey is on a distinguished road triple-bogey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    YIKES YIKES---played Hammond for the first time in 2 years----what happened ???? It's to the point that it's a toss-up between Hammond and Bearbrook for a quick round at last minute---Bearbrook wins-closer and cheaper.
    Last time I was there was mid-June, and it was in pretty decent shape then (just a few rough patches in some of the fairways, but overall WAY better than Bearbrook). Maybe the hot weather in July was too much for it to bear?
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Played Stonebridge yesterday , the greens are better though still a little sandy on some . Still not 100% IMO but should be tiptop in a few days.
    The rest of the course in is in great shape , bar some patches of weeds on a few fairways. Sand traps are in great shape , i know as i was in 7 of them
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    My comment was more or less of "tongue in cheek" but I was very serious obout the conditions. The greens were good BUT the fairways were absolutely terruble-----dead spots from very wet spring---baked and split sections where they tried to aerate and WEEDS WEEDS WEEDS all over the place. They have also determined to call it an eco friendly course by not doing anywhere near the mowing they used to do. It's really too bad because it used to be a "player friendly" course. I realize the weather has something to do with it but in comparison toother courses ????
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    My comment was more or less of "tongue in cheek" but I was very serious obout the conditions. The greens were good BUT the fairways were absolutely terruble-----dead spots from very wet spring---baked and split sections where they tried to aerate and WEEDS WEEDS WEEDS all over the place. They have also determined to call it an eco friendly course by not doing anywhere near the mowing they used to do. It's really too bad because it used to be a "player friendly" course. I realize the weather has something to do with it but in comparison toother courses ????
    Well I am glad that I read your comments. I was going to try getting back there in the next few days, but since its a LONG trek for me (I come from Aylmer), perhaps I will hold off.
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Gap Wedge Hiro is on a distinguished road Hiro's Avatar
    Is it just me or is nation always in its consistent condition. Obviously not a falcon, equinelle, or loch march quality, but just an extremely good course for the money. I mean, you can't beat $24 after 1pm, or even $15 after 4pm earlier in the season.

Played Hammond on Wednesday....the tee boxes were okay and the greens were actually in quite good shape. The fairways were awful though. Typical hammond where water hasn't been witnessed in months....you could actually see all the grass planks uplifted. It looks like a big earthquake had just passed.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Hammond literally ran out of water mid-drought...see my earlier note in this thread.

It's funny that you mention Nation not be a Loch March quality. With a friend of mine, I played Nation 3 times in the last two weeks and Loch March in the same timeframe for the first time. With no hesitation, we both agreed that, in our opinion, Nation was hands down in better overall condition than Loch March - tees, greens and fairways.

I'm not saying that Loch March isn't a great course nor that it is in bad shape. To the contrary, a great course and in good shape. However, for overall condition (...and Nation seems to maintain this with consistency), Nation is noticeably better...IMHO
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Good to know. Nation is definitely a good course in excellent condition, so maybe loch march is an excellent course in good condition.

From all of that eQuinelle talk in the other thread, I really want to play a round there now.

6 Iron Keeler is on a distinguished road
    I'm sure this has been mentioned many times but.. do not walk greensmere legacy. Poor layout in my opinion, also some drainage issues on the first few holes. Overall I was pretty disappointed.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Manderlely?

Anything to report on this course's conditions? Seem to see very little written about it, so don't know whether that is good or bad. Have a Tee time next Thurs and looking forward to it... as long as it is in decent condition. Have not played there for years and taking some buddies so don't want any surprises... Thanks!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I played Nation last weekend and it was in terrific shape. heading out to Montebello this weekend but have never seen it in bad shape so always expect good things.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

seb

Hammond course is getting better

Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Hammond literally ran out of water mid-drought...see my earlier note in this thread.

It's funny that you mention Nation not be a Loch March quality. With a friend of mine, I played Nation 3 times in the last two weeks and Loch March in the same timeframe for the first time. With no hesitation, we both agreed that, in our opinion, Nation was hands down in better overall condition than Loch March - tees, greens and fairways.

I'm not saying that Loch March isn't a great course nor that it is in bad shape. To the contrary, a great course and in good shape. However, for overall condition (...and Nation seems to maintain this with consistency), Nation is noticeably better...IMHO
    With all the water we have been getting the course is much better than what it was! They also reduced their prices drastically! Green fee is not even 30$ in the morning! You should consider giving it another chance. It's a great fall course.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    played Meadows this morning, great shape, but the greens are running uber slow. Slower than normal, so much that I 3 putted 4 of them and I've had 1 three putt in the last four rounds. Drove me nuts. They look great though, just need to be sped up.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Played Montebello yesterday and what a treat! Fairways lush & green, rough is thick but not unfair and greens are fast and undulated. Love that track!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Playing Champlain tomorrow. Anyone play there recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    Playing Champlain tomorrow. Anyone play there recently?
    I know this is a bit late, but I am replying in the hope that perhaps you are only playing late morning or in the afternoon. I was there today. My main gripe is that they have top-dressed holes 6, 9 and 10. Of course, I wasn't told about this at the club house when signing-in (I am starting to get really annoyed at being treated like crap by the various courses that neglect to inform customers of conditions that may make them decide to go elsewhere).

That now being off my chest, the course is in pretty good shape (for Champlain standards). The greens were very receptive and running true, but pretty slow. Fairways were a little hard at places. Sand traps were in excellent shape.

Lob Wedge ryan151 is on a distinguished road
    Im playing there tomorrow but havnt played there since june. Sorry this may sound dumb but what does top dressed mean?

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Should start another thread, "Fall Conditions"

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Fall doesn't arrive untill 9:04 am Sept 23, 2011.

Should we break out the snow shovels?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan151 View Post
    Sorry this may sound dumb but what does top dressed mean?
    After aerating they put sand on top of the green.

Instead of playing Champlain on Tuesday, I ended up playing Casselview yesterday. Tee boxes were fine, fairways had some patches and the grass was very short (imo made it harder to pick up the ball), rough was fine, greens were in good shape but were extremely slow and pin placement was awful. I don'y know if I'll come again, just a very frustrating game.

Manderley...

Since I had no takers on this course condition update, I'll DIY-it. Played first time in a long time. Central/North. Overall, would give it a 7.5/10. Tee boxes were in terrible shape (2/10). Some of the fairways are so bumpy that the grass is long between the mounds and short on top, but the overall the fairways were 7/10 as you could almost always get some grass under your ball. From reading their web page I had pictured a much narrower course, but for the most part it is wide open and not trouble-prone unless you are a long hitter or cannot drive straight. Only problems I encountered were of my own making. One really disappointing thing is that the greens had been punched and sanded and there was NO warning at the Pro Shop... sad way to treat paying customers. Fairways hard and lots of bounce. Overall an enjoyable round. Cannot understand why is was so quiet. Went out at 0845 and rarely saw anyone the whole time were were on the course. Fair and enjoyable course for all skill levels. Hope to play it some more... once the greens recover.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    played Stonebridge today. Fantastic shape. no complaints at all.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Emerald links greens are still recovering from punching but are still running pretty true , though a little shaggy.
    Rest of the course is in decent shape , with a bit of standing water on a few holes.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Ace DecoyOctopus is on a distinguished road
    Played Meadows(South/East) for the first time today, course is spectacular.

Canadian
    Overall good condition but greens punched, looks like a few days old, resulting on a bumpy ride. Cut close and rolling, just don't know where. Again, no warning. I'm guessing we're supposed to know this.

5 Iron Rick is on a distinguished road
    Played Cloverdale Links on Sunday afternoon. in very good shape, overall. played in about 3:40 too. can't ask more than that.

Thread Information