100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar

Summer Conditions

I guess I'll officially start the summer conditions thread.

Looking to play Anderson Links next week. Anyone been out there recently? Is it in good shape?

Ace DecoyOctopus is on a distinguished road
    Played Loch March Sunday and last night, drenched again from last weeks rain but in very good condition.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    as bad as the spring was for our spirits it has served up some great conditioned golf courses right about now.

Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road
    is cartier still just 17 holes? gonna go play it sunday for the first time this year.. it bugs the crap out of me that it's just 17 but i cant wait any longer to go play there.

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by iggsplode View Post
    is cartier still just 17 holes? gonna go play it sunday for the first time this year.. it bugs the crap out of me that it's just 17 but i cant wait any longer to go play there.
    I think someone said in another thread that #1 was closed until early July. So tomorrow would be the soonest under that - I have my doubts it'll be open this weekend.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
    I think someone said in another thread that #1 was closed until early July. So tomorrow would be the soonest under that - I have my doubts it'll be open this weekend.
    Nope...been told hole #1 will open end of July now. But who knows really when...
    Wish they would have closed #17 instead

3 Wood triple-bogey is on a distinguished road triple-bogey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Nope...been told hole #1 will open end of July now. But who knows really when...
    Wish they would have closed #17 instead
    How is Chateau Cartier? Anybody play it recently? I am going there tomorrow, and would like to know what to expect (besides having only 17 holes )
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

On the flip side, I played eQuinelle this morning. This was my first time there. What an amazing track! My son and I were joking that the few spots which were marked as GUR were in better shape than the best parts of some fairways at some local courses which shall remain nameless .
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

just got back from Renfrew, course is in great shape as always , well worth the drive.

played the Marshes on Monday that is also top notch shape

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Smith Falls was in excellent shape when we played it on Wed. Greens were fast, yet we were told they were slower than normal due to all the rain. Well worth the drive!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Agreed that Equinelle is in great shape , although they have very heavily top dressed the greens with sand , which makes them pretty slow , but rolling true.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Quote Originally Posted by triple-bogey View Post
    How is Chateau Cartier? Anybody play it recently? I am going there tomorrow, and would like to know what to expect (besides having only 17 holes )
    I will answer my own question, since I played a round there today with my son and my wife. Well...CC has seen better days. I was disappointed with the quality of the tee boxes and the fairways. A few fairways actually look like a bomb went off in the middle (mud everywhere)! The greens were ok (very receptive), but have been recently topped dressed, so were slow. However, they were rolling true. For my son and I (both EG members), it was an ok deal. But my wife paid $51. For that price, it is definitely not worth it.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Eagle Creek, very nice.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Dragonfly had a $25 special on today....all day...all weekend! Great shape...tee to green!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by northern33 View Post
    I guess I'll officially start the summer conditions thread.

Looking to play Anderson Links next week. Anyone been out there recently? Is it in good shape?
    played Anderson on Wednesday evening...it was in decent nick

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I will echo Ruskie's comments on Smiths Falls. Probably the best-conditioned course I have played so far this year - and that includes Casselview, Outaouias and Stonebridge.

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    Played Mont Ste Marie yesterday and the course is in terrific shape.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    La Cite on Sunday was empty and in fantastic shape! Well worth the drive.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Stonebridge, great shape - fairways are like carpet, rough is thick, but they are keeping it pretty short. Greens are still a little shaggy and slow though. I wish they would speed them up a bit.

Loch March - fantastic shape, bunkers could use some redoing though. My only complaint.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

7 Iron class1947 is on a distinguished road
    Various courses played in the last two weeks 1-10 rating
    Loch March 9.5 (sand traps need work)
    Equinelle 9
    Emerald Links 8.5
    Anderson Links 7.5
    Outaouais 9
    Smugglers Glen 9.5 (sand traps again)
    Le Sorcier 8(Finally coming around .... traps horrible)

Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar

Riverbend

Decided to try Riverbend as I heard they were done changing everything around...

The greens were as long as the fairway on most courses and the fairways as long as the rough etc. The sprinklers were going on the green and beside some greens.. No way of putting unless one guy holds the sprinkler... The tee boxes were uneven.. The flags don't give you any indication if it is back front or middle.. The distances were off on a lot of holes! I was using a 6 iron on a par 3 185yds and went 30yds over the green.. On a par 5 I was 100yds away for my second shot.. 485yd par 5 that is... etc etc.

I was hitting it very far the whole day but definitely not as far as some holes indicated. I was hitting the greens on some par 4's, and on one that was 291yds I went over it.. Over shot about 80% of my shots from 150 and in..

maybe it was the very warm weather that was making every club go a lot further... I don't know.. Seems to be the yardages though..

Felt like I was ripped off when I showed up to the course..and I'm with RM.. So it wasn't very expensive..
    Last edited by spackler; 07-05-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: rules
    Just another lefty....

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Buckingham is in good shape right now especially after they had all the OVGA Pros out there Monday for a little tournement.Greens were cut and rolled.
    I wish they would do this for us all year round and not just when the pros come out to play.

Gatineau greens where spectacular last week better than a lot of private clubs we have played this year. The fairways where good also most of the time except for a few spots with gravel. Just need to move the ball and enjoy a great layout with fantastic greens.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Played Ride & Dine at Metcalfe on the front 9. Don't know what is going on there but the first 4 holes the fairways are cut way too short, so that you have NO grass below your ball; I'm talking hard-pan. They are having issues and have sliced the fairways to allow water to penetrate. Why would you cut the fairways so low, in any condition, overly wet or very dry. Greens were so long they showed not only spike marks but foot prints.

Played Cloverdale today for the first time. Don't really like links courses, and this is no exception. Fairways were in decent shape, but front is much better than the back. One hole under construction (#16) with half the fairway marked as GUR. Greens in good shape and rolling nicely. Definitely a difficult course for the first timer as you cannot see where the rough starts/ends. For Tuesday 2 for 1 Seniors rates it's OK but I won't play there again any time soon.

Pineview? Going there for a work social tomorrow and just want to know what it will be like.

played Perth (Links O'tay ) on the weekend , course is in nice shape , actually the greens are very, very good.

Only complaint was that the deer flies were brutal. I left 2 lbs lighter , due to loss of flesh.

Lob Wedge Irishman is on a distinguished road
    Metcalfe 18: Played this morning. Greens in great shape... fairways had a few dry patches but overall course seemed in pretty good shape. I would rate it 7.5 out of 10

Casselview: Played on Wed evening. Fantastic shape and awesome greens. Only complaint was service related. They had a big tournament on Wed, it went late and then everyone else got pushed back. Still finished 18 in the light though with a 5:15 pm tee off. This is the second time this has happened to me at Casselview. But again, conditions were excellent. 8 out of 10.

Pineview? Poplar Grove??

Anyone play Pineview lately? How is it?

Also, I have neer played Poplar Grove.. It's reasonably close and no one ever mentions it... Is it a nice course? Anyone know its condition?

Thanks in advance.
    Just another lefty....

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Hunter View Post
    Anyone play Pineview lately? How is it?

Also, I have neer played Poplar Grove.. It's reasonably close and no one ever mentions it... Is it a nice course? Anyone know its condition?

Thanks in advance.
    Played the front 9 at Pineview last week. IMO it is in horrible shape. Dirt patches that look like craters on every single fairway. Most greens were very bumpy and had some form of damage to them. Some fairways weren't cut so there was really no advantage for being in the fairway. Maybe the winter was cruel to them but there is no excuse for it to look like it did in early July.

The weird part about it all...the course was PACKED on a Thursday afternoon. Our tee-time got bumped back 15 minutes it was so busy. I suppose if people keep coming why put in the money to improve the conditions. All I know is I will NEVER be playing there again.

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by northern33 View Post
    Played the front 9 at Pineview last week. IMO it is in horrible shape. Dirt patches that look like craters on every single fairway. Most greens were very bumpy and had some form of damage to them. Some fairways weren't cut so there was really no advantage for being in the fairway. Maybe the winter was cruel to them but there is no excuse for it to look like it did in early July.

The weird part about it all...the course was PACKED on a Thursday afternoon. Our tee-time got bumped back 15 minutes it was so busy. I suppose if people keep coming why put in the money to improve the conditions. All I know is I will NEVER be playing there again.
    Just another lefty....

3 Wood dwalker is on a distinguished road dwalker's Avatar
    Played Emerald Links on Sunday, its in great shape, no complaints except the price.
    Slice, hook, or straight down the middle. It all looks the same on the score card.

Thread Information