100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proper Grip

Im a fixture here mathc38 is on a distinguished road mathc38's Avatar

Proper Grip

Palm based grip or finger based grip? I know most teachers advocate a finger based grip but I know Hank Haney advocates more of a palm based grip...please chime in with your opinions.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I use finger based grip, so I have more freedom with hinging. In the end, whatever feels more comfortable and still gets the job done.

Im a fixture here mathc38 is on a distinguished road mathc38's Avatar
    Good key point there: "whatever gets the job done"...sometimes I find that people get so fixated on what the 'famous' instructors say where what they preach should be followed exactly...i'm victim to this myself sometimes. I turn the ball over more often than I want and so by moving to a more palm based grip, I've straightened out my ball flight.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Palm vs Fingers - Grip

Quote Originally Posted by mathc38 View Post
    Good key point there: "whatever gets the job done"...sometimes I find that people get so fixated on what the 'famous' instructors say where what they preach should be followed exactly...i'm victim to this myself sometimes. I turn the ball over more often than I want and so by moving to a more palm based grip, I've straightened out my ball flight.
    It's what feels comfortable. Held a club for about 50+ years, and learned a grip from a wee Scot, who had played golf all his life. Not about to change it now. Interesting comment here though about "turning the ball over" and relating it to either palm or finger grip. I used to slice terribly, but one good thing to come out of my OAC Golf School lessons was the impact of placement of hands on the grip. NOT the palm vs finger, but the rotation of the lead (for me left) hand - between on top and under. Simply by rotating my hand to a stronger (on top) position I've all but eliminated my slice. Whenever my ball goes somewhere other than I intended I make sure on my next shot I re-check my grip placement.

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    grip 100% personal. ask azinger, hogan, norman, barr, etc etc etc

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    I seem to have a tough time on a fairly regular basis keeping hold of the club. Seems like it twists on impact at least 50% of the time. Ball flight all over the place when this happens. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong with my grip?

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Far from an expert on any aspect of golf but I would suggest that you start with the grips. Are they old, worn, coming loose from the shaft and are they the right grips for you. A trip to a pro shop, Golf Works or the like may be a start. The other thought is that if you are not hitting the ball on the sweet spot then you could feel what you are feeling. Perhaps investing in some of those sticky labels that go on your club face to show where you are striking the ball, or more accurately, where the ball is striking the face will give you some more info to work with.

Thread Information