CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Tiger Finally wins an event!!!

Hey all you Tiger Fans.....

This just in.................. Tiger Finally wins an event!!!

Oh boy ,............. he beat a whole bunch of guys in the proccess. He beat them by 8 shots. The guy is unbelievable. The guy is just that good. No way any of those talented players had a chance at this one. Looks like he's back. Looks like VJ is gonna loose his No.1 spot now that Da Man is back. Tiger is just much better. Gotta luv the way he manhandled the field.

OOOOPS..... I forgot............ Who else was playing at this tournament??? I never recognized any of the names on the leaderboard, other than Tiger's name.

Btw............ How much did he get for winning? And how much more did he get just to show up??

:readheart Tiger :readheart
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Do I sense a note of sarcasm??? regardless of who was in the field the fact he won means at least he's finally playing from the fairway, not the trees. We'll have to see if he can keep it going into next year or if Phil & Ernie pass him in the rankings.

Let's hope Mikey has another banner eyar like 03.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

It's cold and foggy outside. Didnt play yesterday. Was up early this morning and had nothing better to do.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I played today
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Just got back from Mapleview.

I never said I wasnt doing anything later in the morning.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Steve:

The conditions at Greensmere were perfect today. The greens are still quite puttable - certainly no big aeration holes. And the weather was great. Let's hope we can keep doing this into December.

As for Tiger, it would be nice to see him play like he did a few years ago, but I'm not sure that we are likely to see that. His swing is still suspect. For someone with his strength, there's no reason why he needs to jump out of his shoes with nearly ever shot. Unless he stops doing this, he will inevitably get out of position during the swing and he'll remain inconsistent. Some days, he can get away with this -- his hand eye coordination is fantastic. But he cannot continue doing that on the PGA tour and win consistently or win the big ones. Next year will really tell the tale. This victory, while a pleasant respite from the doldrums that he's been in for too long, was not against a field laddened with top ranked players.

Michael

Tahkay
    here comes all the armchair weekend warrior critics who can't win a neighbourhood tourney. KJ Choi, Robert Allenby, Craig Parry, Thoman Bjorn, Carlos Franco, Aaron Baddeley, Stuart Cink, Tood Hamilton (BRITISH OPEN WINNER), Alex Cejka....lacking top laddened field? Please. A Major championship winner and also numerous PGA tourney winners were at this tourney. A win is a win. Good on Tiger.
    Last edited by Tahkay; 11-21-2004 at 06:01 PM.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I agree, a win is a win. Like in the movie "What About Bob".....baby steps Bob, baby steps!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Tahkay
    here comes all the armchair weekend warrior critics who can't win a neighbourhood tourney.
    Interesting technique, attacking the person, rather than the argument. Whether one has won a neighbourhood tournament is really quite irrelevant to the legitimacy or persuasiveness of that person's arguments. I never said that there were no world class players in the field. Rather, I asserted that it was not ladden with them. I stand by that assertion. Nor did I claim that I was unhappy with Tiger's win. Rather I implied that if he does not sort out certain swing flaws, he will not return to his old form in the year to come. Those flaws are still there - admittedly not as predominant as earlier in the year. All of which suggests that he may be getting through this challenge. Time will tell.

See, one can have a difference of opinion and still maintain a level of respectful discourse.
    Last edited by mpare; 11-21-2004 at 09:15 PM.

Tahkay
    good for you. I still stand by the fact that there are too many weekend warriors who make comments about Tiger winning, not winning, about his old form, new form. Unless you have been at that level and competed at that level, why criticize or belittle a win. Hardly seems respectful to a worldclass golfer if you find a way to put a person down, doesn't it? Then again, maybe its just me.

... why criticize or belittle a win. Hardly seems respectful to a worldclass golfer if you find a way to put a person down, doesn't it? Then again, maybe its just me.
    Let me be clear. I did not not belittle Tiger's win. More power to him for having bested his competitors. What I wondered about was if he will do as well against tougher fields. I would love to see just that. He's an exciting player. But that player has not been around for a while. Admittedly, I did question the soundness of his swing (you don't have to be a tour champion to see that he's suffered from swing problems for a while), which is quite separate from Tiger the person. Critically commenting on his mechanics is hardly being disrespectful to him as a person. His swing is certainly not a manifestation of his character and I have never confused his swing with his value as a man. I am certain that he is equally clear about the distinction.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Unless you have been at that level and competed at that level, why criticize or belittle a win.
    By that logic, only PGA tour pros should be permitted to comment on other PGA tour pros successes or failures. Kinda kills a conversation don't you think?

Unless you have been at that level and competed at that level, why criticize or belittle a win.
    You must be joking? Are we not in a forum where we can voice our opinions? Tiger beet a bunch of players not at the same level that the best in the world, are at. That's it in a nutshell. If you beleive otherwise, good for you and all the other Tiger Lovers. I pull no punches when I say I like Tiger's game but dont like the man. But to say he back to his old form????

I'm sorry about being naive. You're absolutely right. Tiger did beat some good players. Ryoken Kawagishi (2nd place) is gonna tear up the PGA in 2005. Steven Connan (4th), Hideto Tanihara (5th) and Kanane Yokoo will replace VJ and Ernie and Retief at the top in 2005. Christian Pena and Jyoti Randhawa, Kiyoshi Maita and Kiyoshi Murata will definately all be in the running for player of the year and go on to win all 4 majors. What a great win for Tiger! He is the best.

good for you. I still stand by the fact that there are too many weekend warriors who make comments about Tiger winning, not winning, about his old form, new form. Unless you have been at that level and competed at that level, why criticize or belittle a win. Hardly seems respectful to a worldclass golfer if you find a way to put a person down, doesn't it? Then again, maybe its just me.
    With that logic then all of these movie crtics have no right to judge the qualities of a movie because they can't win an acting award. Or all of these swing coaches, Smith, Harmon, Leddbetter, Pelz (who couldn't make it on the Tour), crticize and identify swing flaws all of the time. How are they qualified?

We are the fans who are watching this stuff. By watching, the PGA Tour can line up sponsors which pay the tournament sponsorship fees that ultimately pay the players the large dollars that they get. Also a player's popularity leads to large personal sponsorship deals.

And it's not just us "weekend warriors" that are criticizing. If you've turned up the volume on a golf telecast where Tiger is playing, There are several commentators, some who have won majors, who are questioning Tiger's swing mechanics and where he is going with his golf right now.

As for your other comment about a talent=laden field:

[quote=tahkay]KJ Choi, Robert Allenby, Craig Parry, Thoman Bjorn, Carlos Franco, Aaron Baddeley, Stuart Cink, Tood Hamilton (BRITISH OPEN WINNER), Alex Cejka]

How are these for stats:

KJ Choi - 29th in the world - 7 top tens in 2004, 0 wins
    Robert Allenby - 34th in the world - 5 top tens in 2004 - 0 wins
    Craig Perry - 76th in the world - 1 top ten in 2004 - 0 wins (did you have him confused with Kenny Perry?)
    Thomas Bjorn - 33rd in the world - 2 top tens in 2004, 0 wins but 1 second
    Carlos Franco - 73rd in the world - 4 top tens in 2004, 1 win, 1 second. If you follow golf, you will know that Carlos is a streaky golfer who seldom practices and is rarely in competition in big tournaments.
    Aaron Baddeley - 188th in the world - 1 top ten in 2004, 0 wins, 1 second
    Stuart Cink - 10th in the world - 10 top tens in 2004, including 2 wins and a second place finish. Stuart had a great year, probably his best.
    Todd Hamilton - 19th in the world - 3 top 10 finishes in 2004, including 2 1st place and 2 second place finishes (don't ask me, that's what the PGA Tour web site says) Will he go the way of Rich Beem, Shaun Micheel and others who won a major and vanished? Only time will tell
    Alex Cejka - 52nd in the world - 3 top ten finished in 2004, 0 wins but 1 second.

Of course these guys are talented, they couldn't compete at this level without being talented. But with Stuart Cink being the only representative of the top ten in the world in the field, this wasn't exactly laden with stars.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Wasnt it CRAIG PARRY who holed the 6-iron for eagle in sudden death at doral this year to get a win? Not Craig Perry or Kenny Perry? The guy whose swing had ben hogan rolling over in his grave? Or am I now confused?

Andru
    I really don't think that was the point. He was trying to say it wasn't loaded with Chumps either. There were some PGA players in the field. It's not like he was playing a Nationwide tour event or a Canadian Tour Event. Just becuase you haven't heard of these players doesn't mean they can't play.

I'm not sure where this stands as far as wins. All I know is a win is a win. Lapping the field is pretty good for your confidence. Remember this is Tiger Woods. I know memories are short but It's Tiger Woods. The guy who's been on the brink all year. He put 4 solid rounds together. Golf fans are getting jacked up. He played like crap for one round every tournamnt and he's still in the top 5 in money. The GIR's and fairways hit are the telling tale in Japan. He looks like he has eerything together. He's on the verge of a monster season. If you don't like Tiger. You may want to avoid watching golf next year.

He's on the verge of a monster season. If you don't like Tiger. You may want to avoid watching golf next year.
    Oh boy..................counting the days!!!!

The guy who's been on the brink all year.
    On the brink of falling to 4th in the world?

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I was just disputing the "rating" of Craig Perry as having no tour wins, I think the original quote put Craig Parry in the field who had that great win at doral in may of 2004. I said I was confused because I didn't know if there was in fact a Craig Parry and a Craig Perry on tour. I should just look it up myself because I'm not sure.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    On the brink of falling to 4th in the world?
    As in playing solid 3 out of 4 rounds just not being able to put 4 rounds together. He would have won several tournaments were it not for a few bad rounds.

It used to be that he rarely played a bad shot, and was often a wizard. Now he's "just not being able to put 4 rounds together.". He is nowhere near the good brink.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    As in playing solid 3 out of 4 rounds just not being able to put 4 rounds together. He would have won several tournaments were it not for a few bad rounds.
    Would have...should have...could have... Many players woudl have won more tournaments if it were not for a few bad rounds. Geez..I'd be on the PGA Tour if I could put a few solid rounds together. What's your point?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    oops
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    FARZIN...WHERE ARE YOU?!! :cryin
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Wasnt it CRAIG PARRY who holed the 6-iron for eagle in sudden death at doral this year to get a win? Not Craig Perry or Kenny Perry? The guy whose swing had ben hogan rolling over in his grave? Or am I now confused?
    You are correct. That win was his only top-10 finish on the PGA this season, although he did finish 13th at The Players Championship at Sawgrass.

As for his swing, it has many similarities to another short, big guy with big arms - Craig Stadler. Last time I looked, the "Walrus" was doing OK with his swing. Whatever works.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    He is nowhere near the good brink.
    Hmmm, I don't know about that.

Mike Weir started fiddling with his swing in 2002, and had a terrible season. Everyone said he was done. Put it all back together in in 2003 and had a good year.

Sergio Garcia made some big swing changes in 2003, and had a terrible season. Everyone said he was done. Worked out all the kinks and had a good year in 2004.

Phil Mickelson just didn't seem to have his head in the game in 2003, and had a terrible season. Everyone said he was done and would never win a major. Regained his focus and won The Masters in 2004.

I'm not saying Tiger is going to be blowing away the field like he did in 2000 or like Vijay did last year. For one thing, I think "the field" has gotten A LOT better since then. But I predict he'll win a few in 2005 and have a good year.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

I'm not saying Tiger is going to be blowing away the field like he did in 2000 or like Vijay did last year. For one thing, I think "the field" has gotten A LOT better since then. But I predict he'll win a few in 2005 and have a good year.
    Well said. I even agree.

But I predict he'll win a few in 2005 and have a good year.
    96% of the PGA tour would love to have his bad year. I really was poking fun and making the point that he is closer to 4th than 1st. OK, so maybe I'm stretching it since that was last month, but to say he's "on the brink" "if only he could put 4 rounds together" after a win in over lackluster field has to be a True Tiger fan. I like Tiger too, but his game has seen better days.

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    You are correct. That win was his only top-10 finish on the PGA this season, although he did finish 13th at The Players Championship at Sawgrass.

As for his swing, it has many similarities to another short, big guy with big arms - Craig Stadler. Last time I looked, the "Walrus" was doing OK with his swing. Whatever works.
    All I did was check out the PGA Tour stats page for Craig Parry - http://www.pgatour.com/players/stats/132086 - it says 1 top 10, 0 wins. However the results page for him shows a win at Doral in March. After that he missed 6 cuts in 16 events, some of which you don't get cut from.

So the stats from PGA Tour may be incorrect. Maybe Tiger really won some of those events instead of Vijay!!
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    The problem this year was that his 4th round scoring average was much higher than it has been in the past.

Tiger's scoring average before cuts - 69.42
    Third round scoring average - 69.61
    Fourth round scoring average - 70.28

Tiger hasn't had a fourth round average above 70 since 1999, and was just over 67.7 at his best in 2002.

Having your bad round your fourth round doesn't help you win many events.
    Colby

Thread Information