CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The points of view are interesting but some comments border on personal attacks so let's please keep it civil going forward. Thanks.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Let's just close her down Dan, it's all settled and i'm bathing in the glow of good karma. Thanks for all the personal support from my fans out there, you guys are inspirational and so full of love. Sigh.

I'd rather not close it. Stuff can be discussed and there is obviously a relevant topic here. This style of course is common in other regions but kinda new to us here in Ottawa. Kanata, HP, Stonebridge, eQuinelle, Gatineau and Les Vieux are all examples that are now in place or in development so it is important that we know where we stand as golfers. Still, some points of view do suprise me.

Me too. I do know i'll never hit driver again with houses on the right.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Stop bumping the thread!

Oooops.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

I'll bump my drives 40 yards past you chum.

As long as there are no houses on the right....

You got it.

Par Sparkplug is on a distinguished road Sparkplug's Avatar
    Go ahead and add posts but when they are completely stupid i'm going to call you on it. Maybe you don't know what the definition of "dishonorable" is? I'm not sure how owning up to it, looking at his pictures and being handed my golf ball is in any way negligent. Just please explain to me how it is dishonorable because it truly makes absolutely zero sense.

The right thing to do was initiate investigation. You saw the flight of the ball, you know relatively the distances you hit and you likely knew there were residences in the area where your ball flew.

How hard is it to initiate and go and inspect if there was potential damage. If its nothing a foursome or two plays through, at worst the situataion can be dealt with.

Only upon being approached with pictures and your golf ball did you admit responsibility.

Homeowner: Can I help you?

Golfer: Yes I'm investigating a ball that I hit close to your home. Just making sure I didn't break anything.

Homeowner: Mkay.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    homeowner: Can i help you?

Golfer: Yes i'm investigating a ball that i hit close to your home. Just making sure i didn't break anything.

Homeowner: Mkay.
    lol!
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

I couldn't see any of the houses but knew they were right of the trees bordering the fairways, nor was there any way to get over to them. Nor did we hear anything, so i was expected to go onto people's property inspecting everyone's house for possible breakage? Get real man.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    especially with that weak right hand.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
    The right thing to do was initiate investigation. You saw the flight of the ball, you know relatively the distances you hit and you likely knew there were residences in the area where your ball flew.

How hard is it to initiate and go and inspect if there was potential damage. If its nothing a foursome or two plays through, at worst the situataion can be dealt with.

Only upon being approached with pictures and your golf ball did you admit responsibility.
    what you run out into the street like a lunatic every time you hit one off line?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Don't get him started again. We don't need a lesson in his unique sense of responsibility!

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    what you run out into the street like a lunatic every time you hit one off line?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post

First off, you are just trying to stir the pot... it's getting old

Secondly, next time you accidently open your car door and nudge the mirror of the car beside you, run into Walmart and ask the 2500 shoppers if they own the Nissan you nudged just to prove you are not a hypocrite!

You obviously dont know Jordan, so quit trying to dirty his name!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sebber View Post

Secondly, next time you accidently open your car door and nudge the mirror of the car beside you, run into Walmart and ask the 2500 shoppers if they own the Nissan you nudged just to prove you are not a hypocrite!

HAHHAHA Awesome!

Why not just leave a note on the car windsheild?

Why not walk over an investigate a wayward ball. I don't think its extreme, funny or crazy, just responsible.

Sparkplug gets the last word...

Good night ya'll.

What bothers me a little here is that you did not hear the crash. I would be worried that maybe his window was busted beforehand and he was just waiting for an errant ball to land in his yard and put the blame on someone who would own up to it without argument. Maybe the last call he tried to pin it on told him to f'off!

I am an honnest person, the type of work I do requires me to be 100% honnest all the time... at work. But if a scenario like this would happen, I would likely lie to the guy, either deny involvement or give him a fake name and number. Why? Because I am of the mentality that this has to be expected when living at a golf course. We used to live beside a outdoor hockey rink when I was a kid and we would regularly find pucks in our yard, have pieces of siding broken from pucks flying in the side of the house. The shed windows got shattered a few times as well. My dad never made a fuss about it. I spoke to him about this yesterday and he said the benefits of having that city run rink right behind the house where I could play all I wanted at any time of the day was well worth the few hundred dollars in repairs over the years.

My 2cents here Jordan, Dont pay!
    Buy him a case of OKeefe and a box of JOs Louis, he will forget all about the window!

With regards to your first comment, usually the simplest explanation is the right one. That being that John's ball broke the window.

With regards to your second set of comments, I did not know honesty could be turned off and on like a switch!

With regards to your final comment I believe this has been addressed and you have retracted it. Never the less I hope that rebuff serves to change your perception of Quebecers going forward.
    Last edited by Sparkplug; 06-29-2011 at 01:09 AM.

This will be my last comments with regards to this specific topic in this thread in an effort to calm everybody down.

I will re-iterate that I continue to stand by my original comments.

The reason why i responded is not to stir the pot or troll but because i disagreed with the action of not inititating or checking out to see if anything happened of the original post. It appears to me that John was not only stating an issue but seeking comentary with the expectation of unanimous support & reassurance.

Now to clarify my position, I have observed and been directly involved in both sides of situations like this.

However many years ago I observed the actions of an individual in a similar situation (his unintentioal actions which resulted in damage which he could have walked away from). He "ran towards the situation" to resolve it. He took the initiative, responsibility and worked to rectify the situation. The outcome was a gained respect for this individual,resolution of the issue and a lesson learned for me. He repeated a quote he heard which was "the hardest thing to do is the right thing"

So keeping this event in mind yes I not only try to take initiative and responsibility in these actions but also quickly identify these situations when they occur. I am certainly not perfect in this or any other area.

Finally,I don't give a poop about the legalities of insurance, houses on golf courses, other hyptheticals or nonsense written so It will be fun to see the piling on. Get it out an be done with it, but I guarantee the next time you are on either end of a situation like this you will remember this thread.
    Last edited by Sparkplug; 06-29-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    What I'll remember is your singular inability to comprehend how, on the facts of this particular case, you are wrong!
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    What I will remember is the fact that you tried to "spark" a flame war. What you didnt know was that you were picking on a well respected OG member that in the end did the respectable thing. This is my last involvement in this thread. You tried to make someone look bad, it failed.... Done...
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I remember playing with a lawyer in the Niagara region when I hooked a ball out into traffic. I didn't hit anyone but I did ask him what if I had. He told me that people driving in the area should be aware that there is an assumption of risk. As well home owners who build adjacent to a golf courses accept that there is a risk of damage. Google "assumption of risk" concerning golf courses and you should get some hits that will inform you of some legalities.

Cheers brah
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

7 Iron malibublue is on a distinguished road
    I was wondering the same thing implication wise legally. It was his baby daughters nursery window that I hit, double paned glass and it only broke the first pane and stayed outside but it shook me up. What the hell would have happened if it was absolute worst case scenario, I wouldn't think a golfer would be looking at criminal charges for an accident would they? Regardless i can thank god it wasn't any worse.
    Criminal charges would require proof of either intent or gross negligence. Safe to say that you didn't intend to do it, but I suppose if you are REALLY bad with the big stick, you could be negligent. I can see your golf buddies taking the stand........ "I always thought he was terrible with the driver & when I saw him line up right so he could play a draw, I wanted to stop him from hurting somebody" Maybe it was a reasonable conclusion that you might hit a terrible drive, lol. I know my golf buddies would sure say that about me

Quote Originally Posted by malibublue View Post
    I can see your golf buddies taking the stand........ "I always thought he was terrible with the driver & when I saw him line up right so he could play a draw, I wanted to stop him from hurting somebody"
    I hate to bump this thread up again, but this is FUNNY!

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    I remember playing with a lawyer in the Niagara region when I hooked a ball out into traffic. I didn't hit anyone but I did ask him what if I had. He told me that people driving in the area should be aware that there is an assumption of risk. As well home owners who build adjacent to a golf courses accept that there is a risk of damage. Google "assumption of risk" concerning golf courses and you should get some hits that will inform you of some legalities.

Cheers brah
    I too was of the same opinion and based my knowledge of civil liability, this was my understanding. Unless someone purposely aimed at hitting a house (!), used a driver on hole where possibilities are high that a miss would most likely ends up in someone's window (i.e. #18 at Hautes Plaines), or didn't yell fore when his ball was going towards an individual, there was no "fault". However, it appears that some judges in Quebec were of a different opinion...

Thread Information