100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I don't find it boring, but lately it's only fairways and not many greens, damn golf.. lol
    Plus, if I aim at those houses on the left on #11 I could probably hit them, but would never have the balls to They do have nets but those long drivers that can let one stray by accident can easily hit those houses or the ones on #18.

Was walking up #10 and someone hit it off the roof coming from #18, hit the roof, bounced off the road missing a couple cars and landed in #10's rough. Some people just use the wrong clubs

Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    You play boring straight down the middle golf...I would never expect you to hit anything but fairway and greens!!!!!! By the way nice round today.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Been there and did it... I hooked a ball off 9 at our course through a ladies front window. She brought the ball over and said it ended up in her fireplace.. I paid to have it replaced.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I could go that route but it would probably involve legal counsel, him suing or sending me to small claims court or something along those lines for what 340 - 400$? The pro shop at Gatineau was actually closed but I will still call them tomorrow just to see what they say buuuut i have a feeling they will tell me where to stick it.

Does anyone know who owns the Gatineau golf course?

3 Wood triple-bogey is on a distinguished road triple-bogey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Does anyone know who owns the Gatineau golf course?
    The same people who built the house you hit :p ! Richcraft.
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Haha that won't help me much but i'm still going to call them on Monday and i'm also going to check in with a few lawyer buds to see what I can do here. If he's covered by Insurance/lives on a golf course and is prepared to assume that responsibility he should be paying.

You are more likely to get an accurate answer from your lawyer friends than from the golf course. I would assume that their (golf course) natural reaction is to deny any responsibility.
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    I would've gone to the Clubhouse after to settle it.
    Would've gone where? This is Gatineau, remember?

I've never played Gatineau, is there no club house? Alright fine then, I would've said it wasn't me and for them to file their complaint with the golf course. Better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post
    Would've gone where? This is Gatineau, remember?

The guy had my golf ball in his hand with my mark on it and showed me pictures. I am not a liar and would never lie to someone in that situation regardless of what the outcome was going to be, straight face lying to him when he approached is something anyone with integrity would never do.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    A golfer is responsible for damages that may result from an errant tee shot. I would really doubt that a golf course may have or get an insurance to cover this type of damages; but that doesn't mean it's impossible and assuming the deductible warrants making a claim. However, there might be a mention/disclaimer on the receipt that was provided that the golf course cannot be held responsible in such situation. In Quebec, this may only used in the case of damages to the property.

Generally speaking, golf courses are normally held responsible when the problem is one that is recurrent. According to the Quebec Civil Code, "neighbours shall suffer the normal neighbourhood annoyances that are not beyond the limit of tolerance they owe each other, according to the nature or location of their land or local custom". There are several cases in the jurisprudence where the issue of errant golf shots became serious enough to justify awarding damages and/or for the golf course to take any measures to ensure the protection of their neighbours. These decisions make little or no reference to the fact that a golf course may have been in existence long before the houses were built. I find this unreasonable but who am I to disagree...

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    like Denis said we have this situation at HP a few times a year, and unless you sign something prior to your round that states you are responsible for damages, you are not responsible, the course should have a reserved budget for these instances. damn didnt see big easys post he's a liar he knows, sorry i meant lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    like Denis said we have this situation at HP a few times a year, and unless you sign something prior to your round that states you are responsible for damages, you are not responsible, the course should have a reserved budget for these instances. damn didnt see big easys post he's a liar he knows, sorry i meant lawyer.
    I will not comment Hautes Plaines' situation because they have a long-lasting battle with their neighbours and this issue isn't new. There are several holes where houses are litterally in play...Habsfan, there is sign on #18 that reminds golfers that they are responsible...

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    I was told by another lawyer I play with, that sign is useless, he stated unless u sign something prior to your round that clearly states your responsible, then theres not much they can do, id be inclined to think you probably know as well, o dont know who to believe anymore.

Putter Gogger is on a distinguished road
    The Golfer is responsible for his golf ball but you can claim thier window under your home insurance.
    most golf courses with homes on them have a "good nieghbour policy" so if the golfer doesnt admit it the course will pay the deductible. It all depends on the course.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    What bothers me a little here is that you did not hear the crash. I would be worried that maybe his window was busted beforehand and he was just waiting for an errant ball to land in his yard and put the blame on someone who would own up to it without argument. Maybe the last call he tried to pin it on told him to f'off!

I am an honnest person, the type of work I do requires me to be 100% honnest all the time... at work. But if a scenario like this would happen, I would likely lie to the guy, either deny involvement or give him a fake name and number. Why? Because I am of the mentality that this has to be expected when living at a golf course. We used to live beside a outdoor hockey rink when I was a kid and we would regularly find pucks in our yard, have pieces of siding broken from pucks flying in the side of the house. The shed windows got shattered a few times as well. My dad never made a fuss about it. I spoke to him about this yesterday and he said the benefits of having that city run rink right behind the house where I could play all I wanted at any time of the day was well worth the few hundred dollars in repairs over the years.

My 2cents here Jordan, Dont pay!
    Buy him a case of OKeefe and a box of JOs Louis, he will forget all about the window!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    I was told by another lawyer I play with, that sign is useless, he stated unless u sign something prior to your round that clearly states your responsible, then theres not much they can do, id be inclined to think you probably know as well, o dont know who to believe anymore.
    Regardless of the sign, a golfer is de facto responsible. The issue is whether the neighbour is able to identify the person who caused the damages. Obviously, if the damages occur during the day and there is nobody home and considering the issue of errant golf shots is a recurring problem, then yes, the course will most likely have to cover for these damages in addition to other types of compensation. However, if the golfer is still on the "crime scene", then he/she is responsible for the damages directly caused by his/her errant tee shot. As mentioned, there is the likelihood that an insurance may cover this type of damage, both from the course or the owner. Your personal liability insurance may also cover this type of incident. However, considering that damages will most of the time be limited, it may not be enough to make a claim anyway. Furthermore, in some cases, it may not be wise to make such a claim.

In the best case scenario, the golfer/course would most likely be responsible to cover at least the deductible. In the worst case, say a situation involving a personal injury, the responsible is most likely to be sued for the damages. Obviously, if there is a personal injury, it means that the person was there and could identify the responsible. The caselaw found that the person who hit the ball is responsible. However, although the ruling didn't go that far, it had not excluded that the course might also be jointly responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by sebber View Post
    What bothers me a little here is that you did not hear the crash. I would be worried that maybe his window was busted beforehand and he was just waiting for an errant ball to land in his yard and put the blame on someone who would own up to it without argument. Maybe the last call he tried to pin it on told him to f'off!

I am an honnest person, the type of work I do requires me to be 100% honnest all the time... at work. But if a scenario like this would happen, I would likely lie to the guy, either deny involvement or give him a fake name and number. Why? Because I am of the mentality that this has to be expected when living at a golf course. We used to live beside a outdoor hockey rink when I was a kid and we would regularly find pucks in our yard, have pieces of siding broken from pucks flying in the side of the house. The shed windows got shattered a few times as well. My dad never made a fuss about it. I spoke to him about this yesterday and he said the benefits of having that city run rink right behind the house where I could play all I wanted at any time of the day was well worth the few hundred dollars in repairs over the years.

My 2cents here Jordan, Dont pay!
    Buy him a case of OKeefe and a box of JOs Louis, he will forget all about the window!
    Honestly, not everybody hits ball as far as John. The neighbour would have had to wait for weeks before having another ball landing on his yard...

In addition, I don't find your comments about O'Keefe and Jos Louis to be most appropriate merely because the incident happended on this side of the river... I just hope I misunderstood the true sense of your comments...

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post

In addition, I don't find your comments about O'Keefe and Jos Louis to be most appropriate merely because the incident happended on this side of the river... I just hope I misunderstood the true sense of your comments...

ummmm, it's a joke! Most of my family is from Quebec, if you were offended, I am sorry... but it was purely intended as a joke! Being french from the Ontario side, those jokes apply to myself as well!

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    Honestly, not everybody hits ball as far as John. The neighbour would have had to wait for weeks before having another ball landing on his yard...
    Doesnt matter how far Jordan hits it... the person who could have broken the window could have been hitting their second shot! I just find it odd that they did not hear the crashind sound! Like I said, I was adding my 2cents... it's sunday morning... seriousness is not awake yet!

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Do they have signs on the course saying that players are responsible for any damages they do, like some courses have?
    I'm no lawyer, but I'm of the opinion that those signs carry little or no weight. If I put up a sign that says I'm the King of England... it doesn't make it so.

I just thought of a great business idea. I'm going to print up stickers to put on golf bags that say "The owner of this bag will never intentionally damage property lining golf courses. Any damage that does occur is the sole responsibility of the home-owner who was dumb enough to buy a house on the inside of a dogleg. Have a nice day."

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but I'm of the opinion that those signs carry little or no weight. If I put up a sign that says I'm the King of England... it doesn't make it so.

I just thought of a great business idea. I'm going to print up stickers to put on golf bags that say "The owner of this bag will never intentionally damage property lining golf courses. Any damage that does occur is the sole responsibility of the home-owner who was dumb enough to buy a house on the inside of a dogleg. Have a nice day."

ahahahah, NIce!

Man, people are really serious on this forum

I'd take one of those MJF!

Man, people are really serious on this forum
    well Denis, as you saw in Belleville, Golf is very serious! Bed at 7pm before the day of a big match, no alcohol, healthy eating!

Par Sparkplug is on a distinguished road Sparkplug's Avatar
    Everybody hits errant shots. Its the actions after the fact that is questionable.

What I am surprised about is that you did not investigate after the fact and only owned up after being sought out.

This is negligent behavior (eg leaving the scene of an accident), as well as dishonorable.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
    Everybody hits errant shots. Its the actions after the fact that is questionable.

What I am surprised about is that you did not investigate after the fact and only owned up after being sought out.

This is negligent behavior (eg leaving the scene of an accident), as well as dishonorable.
    He hits a wayward ball , there is no sound of it hitting anything , what is he supposed to investigate exactly ?

If you knew Jordan, you would retract your whole statement , he's far from the person you think he is.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    He hits a wayward ball , there is no sound of it hitting anything , what is he supposed to investigate exactly ?

If you knew Jordan, you would retract your whole statement , he's far from the person you think he is.
    I second this statement. He's nothing but a stand up guy!!!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

His statement is completely ridiculous so i won't even attempt to answer it.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    His statement is completely ridiculous so i won't even attempt to answer it.
    Yes, please do not feed the trolls.

Thread Information