100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Stonebridge is open today. I just called. I am playing there this morning.
    I have always found there drainage pretty good.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Stonebridge is open today. I just called. I am playing there this morning.
    I have always found there drainage pretty good.
    Hunt club, if not the best, has to be among the best in eastern Ontario. Played the course yesterday afternoon and there was no standing water on the gold course. In fact, the fairways were not even soggy. Contrast that with Carleton golf and yacht, which probably has less ability to hold water then other other course in the area. When i was a member the course used to rountinely close when it rained for any length of time. Love the course, but it's at a severe disadvantage being so low, and close to the Rideau river. These clubs represent the two extremes IMO.

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    Just played Manderley and very little standing water on the course. Was surprisingly not soggy at least in my opinion. Bunkers were the only issue as most were ponds but beyond that it was excellent.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    played Marshes today and no standing water , course drains really well , even the bunkers were in good shape

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Played Bearbrook this morning and there was no casual water anywhere on the course - even the drainage ditches were dry. Fairways were patchy but the greens were in great shape. Not a great course by any means but certainly worth the RM price I paid.

Gap Wedge hummer1829 is on a distinguished road
    I would add Greyhawk - Predator course to the list of very good drainage......played this morning and the course was dry....you could not tell it rained buckets yesterday

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Royal Papineau was in great shape. Only a few low areas were soggy. Very nice course lots of hills and plenty of room to let them fly with the big club.

6 Iron Ehmcee is on a distinguished road
    Marshes was excellent today even after all the heavy rain yesterday. I was expecting cart path only but there was no restriction.

Need a Caddy solstrum is on a distinguished road
    Arnprior! Played this morning at 7! no puddles! no plugged lies. And talking drainage. We were one of the first courses open this spring, that's when drainage matters most. #justsayin

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Played Greensmere yesterday morning and Premiere was in pretty good shape. There some washouts along some cart paths but it was very playable. They had called in all the staff to work Sunday repairing damage and they did a great job. You could see where the water had pooled and the depth was incredible. The drainage that has been put in the last few years really paid off.

On the good side, it is nice to see all the water reservoirs topped up.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    Thought I should break off the "OK" from the Good. I added Outaouais to OK, because when I played there yesterday though it was a little soggy in spots, it was totally playable. So here it is so far:

Good drainage:
    Arnprior
    Calabogie
    Carleton G&Y
    Equinelle
    Greyhawk - Predator
    Hunt Club
    Hylands
    Marshes
    Nation
    Renfrew
    Stonebridge

OK Drainage:
    Anderson*
    Bearbrook**
    Canadian
    Eagle Creek
    Edelweiss**
    Greensmere -Premiere
    Outaouais
    Royal Papineau
    *(Good, but water in some traps)
    **(mostly Good, some bad holes)

Poor Drainage:
    Hammond
    Le Sorcier
    Loch March
    Pineview
    Last edited by Grouchy; 09-11-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Sand Wedge pingzzing is on a distinguished road
    Carleton Golf and Yacht now has superior drainage. Was a guest there yesterday and there was virtually no sign of the torential rains on Saturday. Apparently they put in quite a bit of new drainage recently.

Well, OK then. I will move it.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Might add Equinelle to courses that drain well. Played Sunday morning after the rains on Saturday and it was fine.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    You can add Anderson Links to the 'good' grouping. Surprised the heck out me, however, we played South-East yesterday and, other than a couple of sand traps with water, you'd never have known that we had the onslaught of water we'd experienced the day before...
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    You can add Anderson Links to the 'good' grouping. Surprised the heck out me, however, we played South-East yesterday and, other than a couple of sand traps with water, you'd never have known that we had the onslaught of water we'd experienced the day before...
    Just played it this morning and agree 100% Dry all over, one or two traps wet on East- West course.

I think most of the courses put on the "Poor drainage" list were actually put there based on springtime conditions. Any course built on clay soil is going to take longer to absorb water than those built on sandy soil - but there is a big difference between shedding 5 feet of snow in a week and 60 mm of rain in a couple of days. Let's face it - in springtime some courses just open too early.

Played Casselview today and it was fine. Normally when this course opens in the spring the fairways are a soggy swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I think most of the courses put on the "Poor drainage" list were actually put there based on springtime conditions. Any course built on clay soil is going to take longer to absorb water than those built on sandy soil - but there is a big difference between shedding 5 feet of snow in a week and 60 mm of rain in a couple of days. Let's face it - in springtime some courses just open too early.
    Well, that's why I bumped this thread while we were getting a bunch of rain - so people could report on conditions the day after rain. I think that's a fairer assessment of how well they drain. Sorcier often has holes full of water after rain. Pineview has brand new water hazards after rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
    Well, that's why I bumped this thread while we were getting a bunch of rain - so people could report on conditions the day after rain. I think that's a fairer assessment of how well they drain. Sorcier often has holes full of water after rain. Pineview has brand new water hazards after rain.
    Yes, I would have to agree with you on those two courses.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Yes, I would have to agree with you on those two courses.
    Not to get all lawyer-y, but since you agree with two of the four on that list you can't say "most of the courses put on the "Poor drainage" list were actually put there based on springtime conditions". But if you disagree with something go ahead and say. I'm certainly not knocking any of the courses - just curious what they're like after a bunch of rain.

Not to get all accountant-y, but there were 6 courses originally on the "Poor Drainage" list.

Sorry, I just assumed you were talking about the newer list- I obviously moved a couple based on comments.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    Canadian has fairly good drainage. I played on Sunday and the only hole that had any standing water was the first hole. The rest of the course was in mostly great shape.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Eagle Creek is sand base and probably as the best drainage in Ottawa should be moved up a category or 2.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Hunt club, if not the best, has to be among the best in eastern Ontario. Played the course yesterday afternoon and there was no standing water on the gold course.
    I can't believe you went out and played on Saturday. We thought the course was going to be closed so went shopping
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    White Sands right now has the best drainage,its very close to the sinkhole on the 174...

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Played Greensmere Legacy early yesterday after the rain on Friday and it's a vast improvement compared to last year . I would put it in a good category.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    Eagle Creek is sand base and probably as the best drainage in Ottawa should be moved up a category or 2.

I agree 100%. I played there yesterday and it was pouring rain for over an hour. I got soaked but there were no puddles or standing water anywhere to be seen immediately after the rain stopped.

Thread Information