+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar

Golf balls-What's your brand and why?

I started off the year using Pro V1x as my day to day ball, but as a result of a bad stretch of golf,which saw me lose 7 balls in one round , I bought some Top Flites. My game has returned to a somewhat normal state of late, and the only shot I cannot hit with these balls is the low skip and stop pitch shot. When I'm playing well, I will stick with ProV1x because the short game control is unbelievable with them. When I play like a tool, I will play Top Flites, because they don't hurt as much to lose. I'm curious to see what type of balls other forum members use and why.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    I use Taylormade all around. Penta on good days, TP Black when I'm struggling and loosing lots of balls, or on courses with soft/slow greens. They're pretty similar balls, Penta being softer and just a little better all around, but particularly around the greens. On very cold days around start/end of the season I might switch to Burner TP, it's a little easier to compress.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I've never played a ball I liked more than the ProV1x ... that being said, I play whatever I've got around. I can hit them farther than most balls, but they still have enough of a feel for around the greens, and will sit down for me.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Titleist NXT Tour, the poor mans prov1. I find the Prov1 is like hitting a super ball, too rubbery to me. The NXT Tour does everything I need it to do and I like how it flies off the face of the club and will stop on the green on short shots. I buy the Grade A in bulk from Knetgolf.com and when I lose one or 2 or 3 a round the sting is not there like it would be with losing Prov1's.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Gap Wedge PHJ314 is on a distinguished road
    Always have use Top-Flight myslef...started with the Magna's when they first came out, really haven't strayed from them. To be honest, I haven't tried much anything else....I got a sleeve of Nike's once at a tourney, lost them within the first 4 Holes, I still wonder how they feel...HA!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    My ball of choice is the Srixon Z-Star.

- Good distance off the tee
    - Great control with the irons
    - Super spinny on partial wedges
    - Good feel with the putter.
    - Durable.

As an added bonus it goes on sale regularly so it's easy to stock up on a premium ball at discount prices.

I also reqularly try out other premium golf balls to get an idea for what is good so that when they go on sale I can stock up.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Srixon Trispeeds for the past few years. I found they fit my game well on approach shots and around the green. I have a tendency to aim at the pin and not adjust for bounce, roll or backspin. I find when these balls land they tend to sit in place distance-wise. I normally find my divot withing a few feet of the ball. Also, buy either Mint, or Grade A from KNet/GolfballPlanet and at $9.00 / dozen it doesn't hurt when you throw a few in the bush.

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    I've never played a ball I liked more than the ProV1x ... that being said, I play whatever I've got around. I can hit them farther than most balls, but they still have enough of a feel for around the greens, and will sit down for me.
    I agree 100%. The best ball for me as well, but put a huge dent in the pocket when the swing is out of control.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I like the Taylor Mdes, the reds I seem tp prefer. I can feel them on the club more than the V1 and Nike. I like the Maxfli rev type balls, I like cheap balls as long as they have some spin to them.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I'm a prov1x fan , good all round ball , and i like the way it comes off the putter especially , clean and crisp.
    The Penta would be the only alternative for me , if i could afford them .
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Srixon z star. I love how they feel off the irons and putter. I can't really quantify it, I just love how they feel. I went to a ball fitting earlier this year and they recommended the bridgestone e7. I drove it a little straighter and further because it doesn't spin as much as as the Srixon but I just didn't like how it felt on all the other shots so i switched back

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Srixon Z-Star X YELLOW
    Soft feel
    Good Distance
    One hop and stop
    Easier to find in the rough.

Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road
    I'm a ProV1x guy myself.

When things are going rough, i like the Bridgestone e6

btw - NXT (tour and extreme or regular or whatever) are on sale at Golf Town - buy 2, get 1 free. Also, Penta's are on sale - $65 for 2 dozen.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Played the srixon z-star xv today and other than one in the water on bad judgement gotta say I am sold! Great ball. Good feel and distance even with my deplorable score of 100. Can't remember my last 100. Nothing to do with the ball. Had to do with new irons that were too stiff for me. I'm going to buy a dozen next week. I reg play the pro v1x and definitely like this one better.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I think I'm going to try these soon, I want to have an easier time finding my ball in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Srixon Z-Star X YELLOW
    Soft feel
    Good Distance
    One hop and stop
    Easier to find in the rough.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    I think I'm going to try these soon, I want to have an easier time finding my ball in the rough
    As far as I recall, you don't see much of it

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    Back in the day it was Titleist DT90 and I play the NXT now.

Why? I tell myself that it's because the "low spin technology" helps keep me in-bounds but it's more likely just due to the familiar brand-name.

Cheers!

Gary

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Titleist NXT Tour, the poor mans prov1. I find the Prov1 is like hitting a super ball, too rubbery to me. The NXT Tour does everything I need it to do and I like how it flies off the face of the club and will stop on the green on short shots. I buy the Grade A in bulk from Knetgolf.com and when I lose one or 2 or 3 a round the sting is not there like it would be with losing Prov1's.
    What he said... LOL

Par dlb is on a distinguished road dlb's Avatar
    Callaway itour ..... nice ball - great spin and control - stable in high winds (dimple design ??). Got 7 dozen on sale at Knetgolf .....

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    I like the Z-Star X but lately iv'e been playing the Penta's and I really like them! I have 4-5 boxes of each so I rotate right now!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Bridgestone 6, suppose to fly straight!!!!

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I'm going to start using these
    http://www.polaragolf.com/

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    I'm a prov1x fan , good all round ball , and i like the way it comes off the putter especially , clean and crisp.
    The Penta would be the only alternative for me , if i could afford them .
    on sale at GT for 2 for $65 right now will.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I am good with any good quality 3 piece ball, ProV1/x, TM TP Red/Black, Nike One, Callaway HX Tour, etc. I am not that picky as long as its not a rock. I really like the TopFlite D2 Feels as well though they are hard to find now.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 CarlBrunet is on a distinguished road CarlBrunet's Avatar
    I used to play with the ProV1, tried the Penta when it came on sale, brought it to Belleville and almost lost all of them!! They we're alright for me. Nothing compares to the feel of a ProV1, so far.... So now I just bought some ProV1x cause the ProV1 was spinning waaayyyy too much. I love the feel of the new ProV1x, feels great off all my clubs, nice ball flight, good distance control, and better spin control. So far, it just became my choice for golf ball.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    on sale at GT for 2 for $65 right now will.
    Yeah , its a decent deal , but i'm saving for something else
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

3 Wood Dawg64 is on a distinguished road Dawg64's Avatar
    Srixon Z-star.... like previously said price is great when on sale. Last year bought the buy two get one free and they worked out to $23.50 /dozen including tax.

Lately I have been using the "Wilson Staff FG tour" : this is a ball you need to try ... it flys long and straight off the driver and has excellent spin on the scoring clubs. All around an excellent feeling ball with good feedback from the putter. This might be one of the most under-rated ball available today. Golftown price $35/dozen.

Dawg 64
    Without risk there is no opportunity for glory

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Tried out a dozen Srizon ZStar XV in yellow, and I really like them. Also really enjoying easy identification. It reacted very, very much like a prov1x that was my standard previously, and seem to get the nod on durability vs the prov1x. Hit one a few times with full swing spin milled 52 and no visible tears.
    Andrew

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I am good with any good quality 3 piece ball, ProV1/x, TM TP Red/Black, Nike One, Callaway HX Tour, etc. I am not that picky as long as its not a rock. I really like the TopFlite D2 Feels as well though they are hard to find now.
    You will find the D2 at Costco now, 24/$19.99. They are re-branded under another name but the design is the same. Box is white, by TopFlight and they have a ton of them at the Orléans store as of 3 pm today.

For me, Top Flight. Costco usually have them (not the D2, they are new this year) but GT also has the XL7000 Double Dozen on for $19.99. Don't know if I am enough of a golfer to really notice a difference between balls, but I do try to stick with one brand/model as I believe they are consistent... it's me that's not.

Putter madboymatt is on a distinguished road
    I spent a lot of the summer trying out different balls, trying to find the one that best suits my game. My top 3 are the Pro V1x, Penta, BB330. All of them work well for me, but I seem to get the most distance with the 1x. I've played the last few rounds with the Pro V1x and have only lost one.

Although, today I switched it up and played the Pro V1 and I lost one on a bad tee shot, and I have to say I didn't really notice much of difference in spin around the green compared to the X. It definitely checks up quicker...but not game breaking for me. I'll stick with the X or penta for now as I seem to control them better off the tee.

Thread Information