CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shaft Cutting

3 Wood Snowman10 is on a distinguished road

Shaft Cutting

I just got my first Scotty! But it's 35 inches and a bit too long for me. I usually play a 33

Would I be committing a sin by cutting it down? How much would I be hurting possible resale value in case I dont end up liking it?

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry too much about hurting it other than you are changing the swing weight of the head of the club. If it's a studio select you can buy weights and change them out or use the normal means (lead tape, etc.). You can always send it back to the spa for some TLC if you are too worried about it if you want to sell it.

8 Iron Kyle_B is on a distinguished road Kyle_B's Avatar
    If it's only 2 inches too long, you can most likely cut the bottom of the shaft. They usually have a few inches of parallel shaft (make sure you do research before hand so your heads will fit back on). If not, then cutting the end where the shaft goes will be fine. I have cut and extended many shafts and not had any issues. Well that's a lie, I have snapped extensions a few times but you don't have to worry about that.

3 Wood Snowman10 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'm definitely going to be having a pro do it

2 Iron smiths_falls is on a distinguished road
    congrats on the scotty!

3 Wood stone_bone is on a distinguished road stone_bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_B View Post
    If it's only 2 inches too long, you can most likely cut the bottom of the shaft. They usually have a few inches of parallel shaft (make sure you do research before hand so your heads will fit back on). If not, then cutting the end where the shaft goes will be fine. I have cut and extended many shafts and not had any issues. Well that's a lie, I have snapped extensions a few times but you don't have to worry about that.
    @ Kyle_B Why would you pull the head to trim from the tip?

After you get it shortened make sure you get fitted because likely you've changed the effective lie.
    [FONT=System][COLOR=DarkRed]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

8 Iron Kyle_B is on a distinguished road Kyle_B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stone_bone View Post
    @ Kyle_B Why would you pull the head to trim from the tip?

After you get it shortened make sure you get fitted because likely you've changed the effective lie.
    Because I like doing things the hard way

I think I was multi-tasking that the time. I didn't specify that you CAN do it that way if you want. Easier would be removing the grip, cutting the end off, putting the grip back on (or putting on a new grip). If you cut the shaft at all, it will change the way it responses for sure. If you're a beginner golfer, you won't notice the difference. If you're an avid golfer, I would suggest getting fitted for the proper shaft. To play it safe, take the grip off, cut the end, put the grip on. That will have the least amount of change on most shafts.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_B View Post
    Because I like doing things the hard way

I think I was multi-tasking that the time. I didn't specify that you CAN do it that way if you want. Easier would be removing the grip, cutting the end off, putting the grip back on (or putting on a new grip). If you cut the shaft at all, it will change the way it responses for sure. If you're a beginner golfer, you won't notice the difference. If you're an avid golfer, I would suggest getting fitted for the proper shaft. To play it safe, take the grip off, cut the end, put the grip on. That will have the least amount of change on most shafts.
    It's a putter, not a driver!! . There are no frequency readings to worry about, no major face impact issues, no spin rates or launch angle issues to deal with. Remove the grip, cut to required lenght, adjust the swingweight, put the grip back on and tweak the lie and loft ! Here is you your putter sir.

Play it safe my a..., There is no playing it safe when it involves the short stick. Shortning a putter has a dramatic affect on the performance of the club. You either do it right or don't do it at all.

Bill Wood
    Ditto on above. Trim from Butt end.

Thread Information