CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Favourite Sitcom

What with the Seinfeld thread going, I thought I'd pick everyone's brains to see what was the favourite sitcom out there. Doesn't have to be American or Canadian either.

I've got a couple noteworthy shows I'd like to mention:

1 - Yes, (Prime) Minister: A great BBC show about Jim Hacker, MP of English parliament. He bumbles and stumbles his way through many comedic situations under the watchful (and scheming) eyes of Sir Humphrey, a high level public servant. By the end of the series, Hacker becomes Prime Minister (although not for the right reasons). Completely based on dialogue, this show is an absolute must-see for fans of political humour.

2 - The Drew Carey Show: We live in such a politically-correct age and society that it is refreshing to see some low-brow humour is still getting on to TV. Nothing but fat jokes, sexual innuendo and crude potty humour. FANTASTIC!

3 - All in the Family: One of the funniest shows ever made. Archie Bunker, played by the late Caroll O'Connor, is a typical American shmoe, living in Queens. He works as a forman on a loading dock of some factory or plant or something, and lives with his wife Edith, a seemingly brainless bird. Basically, if you're one of the few people left on the planet who can laugh at a good racist joke, this show kicks butt!

4 - That 70s Show: Can't believe nobody thought of this one sooner. Although I find a lot of the dope-smoking references to be overkill (you can always tell when they do it anyways...), I think this show is breaking ground in terms of making pot a more accepted drug. Great cast of characters, although half of them are pretty bad actors. Too bad Tommy Chong got busted for selling bongs on the internet, or else he'd still be on the show. At least they got Venus Flytrap (Tim Reid) from WKRP as their new 70s throw-back star.

5 - WKRP In Cinncinati: Great show about a radio station and its colourful staff. Richard Saunders as Les Nessman is probably my favourite. His neurotic news-casts were hilarious. I remember his phonetic pronunciation of Chi-Chi Rodriguez... CLASSIC!

Anyways, there's a few ideas to get you started.

My fave? Gonna say All in the Family.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    M*A*S*H*

No brainer. Best comedy - drama - intelegent insightful commentary show ever made. Bar none IMHO.

Sorry Broken, might be from just before your time

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    M*A*S*H*

No brainer. Best comedy - drama - intelegent insightful commentary show ever made. Bar none IMHO.

Sorry Broken, might be from just before your time
    Only thing before my time about MASH is the original airing dates. That show has been on in reruns since I can remember. Hey, I'm 31 and my favourite show is from before my time! At least from before I should have been able to watch it.

Oh, forgot Barney Miller, another great show...

Dan

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I can' t remember the name of the son in law in all in the family but i recall Archie calling him a Pollock. Ever seen this one? http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...Hogans_Heroes/
    Hilarious. Schulz was my favorite character. I see nothing I know nothing I hear nothing.
    And this one.
    http://www.timvp.com/sanford.html
    Elizabeth.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 11-18-2004 at 09:12 PM.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    There was a short lived sitcom on Fox for a year or so called Herman's Head. Great bunch of actors in it including Hank Azaria and Yeardly Smith:

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet.../Hermans_Head/
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Mayday

sitcoms

I can' t remember the name of the son in law in all in the family but i recall Archie calling him a Pollock. Ever seen this one?

Didnt archie call him "Meathead"

Dont forget "Threes Company" and Sanford and son
    these were Takeoffs from original British sitcoms.

You are right Mayday.
    Rob Reiner .... Michael 'Meathead' Stivic (1971-1978)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066626/

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    WKRP, M*A*S*H, and Barney Miller were all great shows but most of my favourites were British:

Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister: already mentioned above by broken27.
    Black Adder: Rowan Atkinson in 3 different series - medieval, early 1800's & WWI.
    Mr. Bean: another Rowan Atkinson series.
    Absolutely Fabulous: two party-loving women who run a decorating business.
    Hamish MacBeth: Robert Carlyle as a cop in a small Scottish village.
    Lovejoy: Ian McShane as an antique dealer.

Of course, if you want to include "animated" shows than I would have to also mention The Simpsons, Dinosaurs and my all-time favourite - Duckman (featuring the voice of Jason Alexander from Seinfeld).
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    M*A*S*H

No contest, without a doubt, best ever. At its peak it was consistently the best show on TV (even the ratings put it in the top 10 annually almost every year for a decade). It was excellent comedy while at the same time delivering powerful messages. I think the final episode "Goodbye, Farewell, Amen" (Ithink that was the title) was the most watched show of all time when it aired. It weakened a bit in later years when Alan Alda directed a couple of episodes that got way out on the artistic edge, but for a decade it was consistently excellent.

Have to agree Yes Minister was very good and I also enjoy That 70s show (kind of rekindles memories of my youth!)

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    My 2 greatest sitcomes would have to be Seinfeld and Three's Company, Jack Tripper was the best!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Sorry EDS. Stanley was the best.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Hamish MacBeth: Robert Carlyle as a cop in a small Scottish village. Lovejoy: Ian McShane as an antique dealer.
    Wow I can't believe you've seen Hamish MacBeth and Lovejoy, both classic shows. I love it when lovejoy talks to the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Black Adder: Rowan Atkinson in 3 different series - medieval, early 1800's & WWI.
    A classic of which there were 4 series, a christmas special, a millenium special and a rare special done for comic relief charities.

My picks:

Blackadder: vintage Atkinson.
    Fawlty Towers: John Cleese post monty python.
    League of Gentlemen: a dark dark show, British comedy at its finest.
    The young ones: another British classic.
    Bottom: anarchic comedy.
    Larry Sanders show.
    Seinfeld.
    One foot in the grave.
    Only fools and Horses.
    3rd rock from the sun: best USA comedy IMO.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Monty Python. Just brilliant.

I forgot one of my favourites. The Alan Partridge show. If it comes on Canadian TV then it is a must see. It's about a TV personality/talk show host trying to climb to the top of the broadcasting ladder. Natrually everytime he has a guest on the show something goes wrong or he says something that tottally offends them.

Another must see is 'Coogans run' starring the same comedian.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

my picks in order

1. Seinfeld
    2. WKRP in Cincinnati
    3. M*A*S*H*
    4. Cheers

To you fans of the Britcoms, have you seen "Keeping up Appearances"? That show cracks me up because the woman (Hyacinthe, played by Patricia Rutledge) reminds me of my mother.

Great show as well...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    To you fans of the Britcoms, have you seen "Keeping up Appearances"? That show cracks me up because the woman (Hyacinthe, played by Patricia Rutledge) reminds me of my mother.

Great show as well...

Dan
    Yep I know that one well. Hyacinthe Bucket (pronounced bouquet by her). Her long suffering husband Richard is pretty funny too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Monty . Just brilliant.
    Somehow deep down inside I knew it. You are a Monty fan. What about a shave?
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 06-26-2006 at 09:31 PM.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Wkrp

WKRP was not my favourite comedy, but it was certainly up there. The older Johnny Carson monologues were my favourite, but they didn't constitute a series. Okay, back to my point. My favourite episode of all times was the WKRP show when the station decided to give away free turkeys. The problem was they released them out of a helicopter while hovering over a mall. They realized, too late, that turkeys don't fly. It was a hilarious episode that still cracks me up just thinking about it. An audio clip in Real Audio is available at this site: http://radio.about.com/library/blwkr...ydropaudio.htm

Enjoy.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

fav. sitcom

Without a doubt, "Married, With Children" is by far my favourite of all-time. I'm surprised that nobody else mentioned it so far!

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar

fav show

not really a sitcom,but familly guy has to be the funniest thing on t.v.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    #1= BBC's "The Office" I'll admit I had to shut it off a few times because it made me squirm in agony, but it is well worth the effort.
    Then "Curb Your Enthusiasm" then "Sienfeld"

Thread Information