100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road

Recommendations for membership wanted.

So my folks moved here last year to be closer to me and the family. They bought a condo in Orleans and became members of Outaouais, but as much as they like it, they find the drive to the course to be a bit much and have decided to move to a different are of Ottawa, closer to a golf club, yet staying within the city. They’re still debating where exactly and what course they want to become members of and i seem to be a bit stuck as to what to tell them as i play the majority of my golf on the Quebec side.

i had been telling them to look at Stonebridge, but the lack of a range is a bit of a problem. My stepdad plays or practices every day. He enjoys practicing as much as he plays. They also want a place with a good social community of members roughly their age(late 50's). Outaouais really is the ideal place for them, but as i said, the distance is a bit of a concern, and they don't want to move closer to the golf club as staying in around Ottawa is important to them for various reasons as well.

While they're not looking for a cheap club or anything, they don't want to spend a small fortune on a golf membership, so Club Link, Hunt Club, etc are all out of the question.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Jon

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If the drive from Orleans to Outaouais is too long for them then that really limits their options. How long does it take them?

Stonebridge was my first thought but as you say, no range. Emerald Links or Anderson Links might be an option but I'm not sure how close they can get and keep the housing reasonable.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

it's 25 minutes for them to get from their current spot to outaouais, not horrible, but could be better. it's long enough that i wouldnt want to do it day after day either, but im also spoiled living on a golf course so i might be a little biased on that.

their current condo is already sold, so a move is a must now. they havent ruled out staying in orleans but i really think they'd like to be < 15 mins at most from a course, we're all from newfoundland so big city driving isn't necessarily a thrill to them, especially since they're not getting any younger.

they've looked at some spots just a few minutes from stonebridge and that might be where they end up. He'll just go to a range elsewhere, which is what he's been doing a fair bit at white sands, but id still like to get some more opinions for them.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    So have them move to Rockland and only make the drive when visitting family? And its not 25 minutes from orleans to Outaouais ( unless they drive very slow ). I get to Nation in 35 which is well past Outaouais.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    I guess they can move to Rockland and be close to Outaouais, but then it'll be 30min to get to Ottawa... Or they can move closer to Greyhawk. The amount they'll save on a house will probably offset the extra cost of membership there (just get him out to Clublink courses some time and he'll be sold). Equinelle in Kemptville could be a good option, but again it's 30min drive to Ottawa.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    How about Carleton golf and yacht club...?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    So have them move to Rockland and only make the drive when visitting family? And its not 25 minutes from orleans to Outaouais ( unless they drive very slow ). I get to Nation in 35 which is well past Outaouais.
    well i did the drive with them yesterday and it was 25 minutes from there door to the club and it wasnt overly slow, but thats besides the point. Regardless of the time, the drive is a pain for them plain and simple and im looking to help make them as comfortable as possible. Moving to rockland isn't an option. we already live far enough away, as do our other relatives in the area. we try to spend alot of time together as is so moving further away doesn't interest any of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post
    I guess they can move to Rockland and be close to Outaouais, but then it'll be 30min to get to Ottawa... Or they can move closer to Greyhawk. The amount they'll save on a house will probably offset the extra cost of membership there (just get him out to Clublink courses some time and he'll be sold). Equinelle in Kemptville could be a good option, but again it's 30min drive to Ottawa.
    id love for them to join Club Link, but it won't be worth the extra $$$ on it. trust me, we've been down that road a number of times already and it just doesnt make sense.. even if *I* want it to happen. this is all about whats best for them

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    How about Carleton golf and yacht club...?
    ive never heard of that place before... i'll take a look. thanks!

also thinking of the canadian and suggesting stittsville for a new spot...

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    Well, if they move to be close to Stonebridge, they are going to be over 45 minutes from Gatineau (your listed location) so being close to the family, the reason they moved here, gets pushed back. Same with the Canadian or Carleton, pretty far from Gatineau.

Chateau Cartier is building condos on their course in Aylmer. That would put them close to the course and to you. Anywhere around there and they would have a choice of playing at Champlain too. Champlain really doesn't compare to Outaouais for quality golf though. ETA: Lots of close courses to Aylmer, actually. I would suggest that as the area to look. The Gatineau should be really nice in a couple of years. Rivermead is supposed to be really nice members only club. Kingsway is right there too. Lots of choice if you live in that end.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 06-21-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    If 25 minutes is too far to drive, your options are going to be limited without paying extra $$ to live on a course.

If Hunt Club and Clublink are out of their league financially, Carleton is not going to be an option either.

You should probably be more precise as to what you consider "in the city". Rockland is not that much farther east of downtown than Stittsville is west of it.

Maybe Glen Mar or Cedarhill?

Canadian is tournament central so you may want to rethink that as an option.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Join Emerald, Anderson and Cloverdale... Gives you a great mix of courses to play for a reasonable fee.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I was going to say the same thing as Grouchy, Canadian is just as far as Outaouais from downtown Ottawa. Can be further in traffic.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
    Well, if they move to be close to Stonebridge, they are going to be over 45 minutes from Gatineau (your listed location) so being close to the family, the reason they moved here, gets pushed back. Same with the Canadian or Carleton, pretty far from Gatineau.

Chateau Cartier is building condos on their course in Aylmer. That would put them close to the course and to you. Anywhere around there and they would have a choice of playing at Champlain too. Champlain really doesn't compare to Outaouais for quality golf though. ETA: Lots of close courses to Aylmer, actually. I would suggest that as the area to look. The Gatineau should be really nice in a couple of years. Rivermead is supposed to be really nice members only club. Kingsway is right there too. Lots of choice if you live in that end.

they're already 45 mins + from me as is in Orleans. I get to Stonebridge in roughly the same time it takes me to get to their place so that doesn’t really change much, but none of us want to go much further than that on a regular basis, however I’m more concerned about keeping them closer to downtown than to us I guess. I’d love to get them over to Aylmer personally(that’s where I am), but I think when they checked, the income tax change for them would be a deal breaker. Maybe something in westoboro could be looked at, just a short trip across the river then but housing might be through the roof.
    Also, does Chateau Cartier have a very active social community? I’ve played there a bunch but have never noticed much in the way of social gatherings in the club house but I really don’t know. That’s just as important to them as the golfing aspect. They need a spot sooner than those condos would be built unless they’re gonna be finished by the end of august.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    If 25 minutes is too far to drive, your options are going to be limited without paying extra $$ to live on a course.

If Hunt Club and Clublink are out of their league financially, Carleton is not going to be an option either.

You should probably be more precise as to what you consider "in the city". Rockland is not that much farther east of downtown than Stittsville is west of it.

Maybe Glen Mar or Cedarhill?

Canadian is tournament central so you may want to rethink that as an option.

Maybe stittsville is too far, I dunno, I’ve been there once or twice, just throwing out ideas... I only say the Canadian because ive played it a bunch and seems like it fills their need for a good price, but location is a bit of a problem. to clarify, I guess I can say they’re looking for something within 20 or so minutes of downtown without any long dark stretches of road. I wouldn’t want them driving to rockland from my place after nightfall for instance, barrhaven I wouldn’t mind so much.
    I forgot that the Canadian has that many tournaments.. good point, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Join Emerald, Anderson and Cloverdale... Gives you a great mix of courses to play for a reasonable fee.

Ive been thinking that as well, but it seems like everything is an add-on there, reciprocal play, range and no special pricing for couples. Pretty easy to make the final cost a bit more inflated. Not saying that it’s out of the question, but the final price could end up being pretty high.

Thanks for the info guys..

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    If Stittsville is a good location, my suggestion would be to join Greensmere over the Canadian. The the new on ramp to Highway 7 and to the 416, it would be just as close / far to go to the mere than it would be for the Canadian now.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I'd say as far as golf and social goes for someone in that age group at that price, Outaouais is as good as it gets.
    I played there a lot last year and there always seemed to be something going on in the club house and the course is great.
    My guess is anywhere they join at that price (and closer to the city) isn't going to be as good. Only way to keep the golf/social aspect at that level close to the city would be to shell out more money for a private course.
    I'm thinking a compromise between distance from the city, price and quality of membership will have to be made.

Best of luck!
    Even I've never heard of me

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    They live in Orleans and find Outaouais far??? That is strange, its 20 minutes. Perhaps Camelot is a solution, they are actively seeking members and are very flexible when it comes to initiation fees.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by iggsplode
    Also, does Chateau Cartier have a very active social community? I’ve played there a bunch but have never noticed much in the way of social gatherings in the club house but I really don’t know. That’s just as important to them as the golfing aspect. They need a spot sooner than those condos would be built unless they’re gonna be finished by the end of august.

The first phase of the condos is apparently not ready until March, so no go I guess. And no, I don't think it has a big social scene. They actually only offer "corporate" membership, so it's not really unlimited play - 1/day I was told, but it is transferable so anyone could use it for the day.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Maybe try Hylands? Not sure what the waiting list for general public members is like these days, and it can be a busy course at peak times, but it's not too far from most places and they definitely have the golfing community they're looking for. Two courses, both nice if not exceptional, I like playing there. Fees aren't outrageous either, similar to Outaouais.

Quote Originally Posted by adam781 View Post
    I'd say as far as golf and social goes for someone in that age group at that price, Outaouais is as good as it gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam781 View Post
    I played there a lot last year and there always seemed to be something going on in the club house and the course is great.
    My guess is anywhere they join at that price (and closer to the city) isn't going to be as good. Only way to keep the golf/social aspect at that level close to the city would be to shell out more money for a private course.
    I'm thinking a compromise between distance from the city, price and quality of membership will have to be made.

Best of luck!

Absolutely. They know that it’s going to be hard to match what they have available already but they’re more than willing to compromise, they do really love it there and they certainly have been spoiled with the Outaouais experience, it doesn’t seem like it can get much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    They live in Orleans and find Outaouais far??? That is strange, its 20 minutes. Perhaps Camelot is a solution, they are actively seeking members and are very flexible when it comes to initiation fees.

Yea they do. As I said, they’re not from here, don’t like driving much as is, and the morning and evening traffic in and around Orleans makes it more nerve-wracking experience than they like. They hate highway driving as it’s something they’ve never really had to do. While it’s not TO or MTL here, coming from a much smaller city, ottawa can still be very intimidating on its own. They’re getting older and want to take it as easy as possible from now on in. They live in florida in the winter and live less than 5 mins from their club there, they would like to find a similar situation here is all I’m trying to help them with.

They looked at Camelot but didn’t like it for whatever reason.

The first phase of the condos is apparently not ready until March, so no go I guess. And no, I don't think it has a big social scene. They actually only offer "corporate" membership, so it's not really unlimited play - 1/day I was told, but it is transferable so anyone could use it for the day.

Ah that sucks. Oh well, thanks for the info!

In the meantime ive suggested they expand outside barrhaven and look at riverside south and emerald links.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iggsplode View Post

ive never heard of that place before... i'll take a look. thanks!
    +1 on CGYC, excellent value for private golf on an enjoyable, walkable course with great social membership and very couples oriented. Just south of Manotick.

And they have a reciprocal playing agreement with Outouais!

http://www.carletongolf.com/

PM me if you want more info.

Full disclosure -> I have a bias, I've been a member at Carleton for 4 years, after being a member at both Emerald Links and Stonebridge.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

1 Iron dmr is on a distinguished road dmr's Avatar
    What spackler said - definitely look at Hylands, I seem to recall they were looking to boost their membership earlier this year, not sure where that stands now. The housing situation near the course has pretty much every price range imaginable.
    "I killed a guy with a trident." Brick Tamland

well, house is bought in barrhaven. they're going to play the courses around them and see what they like best for the rest of the year and then choose one for next year. they have a few options.

thanks to all for your input!

Well, I think the only ones within 20 minutes of there is Stonebridge and Cedarhill (which is members only)

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    If they are in Barrhaven, lots of options, Carleton is just down in Manotick, 20 minutes away, lots of our members live in Barrhaven. PM 4Jag or me if they would like to have a tour and speak with our GM about membership. Always accessible, no problem getting tee times, and the course is always in immaculate condition.

garth, CGYC is less expensive to join than club link, especially on the initiation terms and a heck of a lot less than Hunt.

emerald links is also pretty close to them as well. < 13 km. cedarhill is semi-private.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    If they are in Barrhaven, lots of options, Carleton is just down in Manotick, 20 minutes away, lots of our members live in Barrhaven. PM 4Jag or me if they would like to have a tour and speak with our GM about membership. Always accessible, no problem getting tee times, and the course is always in immaculate condition.

garth, CGYC is less expensive to join than club link, especially on the initiation terms and a heck of a lot less than Hunt.
    ill certainly mention that to them.. thanks again guys!

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Well, I think the only ones within 20 minutes of there is Stonebridge and Cedarhill (which is members only)
    Cedarhill is not members only anymore. It used to be many years ago, but now it is open to the public.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Cedarhill is not members only anymore. It used to be many years ago, but now it is open to the public.
    It was also on Corporate Golf the last tme I was a member of that.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Huh, my mistake on CedarHill. It's on Executive Golf too.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    It was also on Corporate Golf the last tme I was a member of that.

Yup still on corporate golf !
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Thread Information