100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: True or False

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Question True or False

When taking relief from a lateral water hazard, a ball can roll up to 2 clublengths beyond the original two clublengths measured for relief and still be in play?

True or False?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Ahh, this brings back memories of my collapse at Smuggler's a month ago, although it was with a water hazard, not a lateral one. I think the answer is yes, as long as it's not closer to the hole than the point of entry.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post
    Ahh, this brings back memories of my collapse at Smuggler's a month ago, although it was with a water hazard, not a lateral one. I think the answer is yes, as long as it's not closer to the hole than the point of entry.
    Not quite the same situation, but a valuable lesson nonetheless.

The question is still open folks.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

God, these procedures are complicated! 7 bullet points with an extra 3 sub-points for when it should be re-dropped...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post
    God, these procedures are complicated! 7 bullet points with an extra 3 sub-points for when it should be re-dropped...
    LOL! You're getting closer...

There's actually an entire book devoted to dropping and re-dropping.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I will say False...

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Must... resist.... the temptation... and keep.... my mouth... shut...

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    I will say False...
    And why would you say that?

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I will guess...rolling closer to the green...and the drop is no closer to the hole?

I just feel the answer is false...lol

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    I will guess...rolling closer to the green...and the drop is no closer to the hole?

I just feel the answer is false...lol
    You are correct, the answer is false, but not for the reason you listed. Yes, the ball must not roll closer to the hole than the nearest point of relief, and the ball may roll up to two clublengths, BUT the point of reference is where the ball first strikes the part of the course when dropped, and not the original two clublength measurement.

See Rule 20-2c(vi)

I was still right....Yaaahhh!!!!!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    You are correct, the answer is false, but not for the reason you listed. Yes, the ball must not roll closer to the hole than the nearest point of relief, and the ball may roll up to two clublengths,
    Most golfers assume that because the ball rolled closer to the hole, that is must be re-dropped. It is important to note that when taking relief from a lateral water hazard, that the two club length distance may be taken on a line farther from the hole, than where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard. If when the ball is dropped, it rolls closer to the hole than the point where the tee may have been placed in the ground, but not closer to the hole than where the ball crossed the hazard margin, it does not need to be re-dropped. (Rule 20-2c(vii) (c))

It was this issue that, I believe, caused Graham Gunn to be penalized at The Marshes in the CPGA Seniors, a while back. Gerry can confirm this.

Similarly, a ball dropped in a drop zone may roll closer to the hole, i.e., up to two club lengths, without having to be re-dropped. (Appendix 1-8 (f))

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Similarly, a ball dropped in a drop zone may roll closer to the hole, i.e., up to two club lengths, without having to be re-dropped. (Appendix 1-8 (f))
    And this is because ...... ?

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    .. think about it. It is logical.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I need to order this book. What is it called please?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I need to order this book. What is it called please?
    It's called "Rules of Golf Illustrated on Dropping and Re-Dropping" by B.K. Ting. He's a top level R&A certified referee in Malaysia. I'll PM you his email address.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    It's called "Rules of Golf Illustrated on Dropping and Re-Dropping" by B.K. Ting. He's a top level R&A certified referee in Malaysia. I'll PM you his email address.
    There is a price drop if 5 or more books are ordered from B.K. Perhaps there are others who may be interested. It's a great book and very well illustrated.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    There is a price drop if 5 or more books are ordered from B.K. Perhaps there are others who may be interested. It's a great book and very well illustrated.
    I'm interested

1-Nokids
    2-
    3-
    4-
    5-
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Thread Information