100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hybrid Coreythebody is on a distinguished road Coreythebody's Avatar

Illegal use of equipment

Here's a golf story i heard and would like clarification if anyone can help...

two guys are playing in a match play game. they arrive at a par 3 hole.

player 1 selects his club and goes to the teeing ground. As it is a par 3, he looks around the tee deck and finds a broken tee (like many of us do), and tees his shot up, then hits a good shot onto the green. His FC at this time says that he is assessing him a 2 shot penalty for using a piece of golf equipment not originating from his bag.

Is player 2 correct?
    5 Time OG Team member for Ryder Cup

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Whaaaaaat???? That's ridiculous.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreythebody View Post

Is player 2 correct?
    No, and player 2 should get a copy of the rule book.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    No, and player 2 should get a copy of the rule book.
    And so should player 1 !!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    He already has one! He wanted to give you an opportunity to answer this question.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    And so should player 1 !!
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    If I find a ball during the course of the round, and put that ball into play on a future hole, is there any penalty there?
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    If I find a ball during the course of the round, and put that ball into play on a future hole, is there any penalty there?
    No penalty, as long as it's not improperly substituted during the play of a hole, and it conforms to the rules of golf.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thank you for making me smile.

So there you have it: you can play with your found ball on your found tee! Ain't life grand.

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Thank you for making me smile.

So there you have it: you can play with your found ball on your found tee! Ain't life grand.
    That's how I manage to afford to play. Could do with finding an abandoned new driver though.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    That's how I manage to afford to play. Could do with finding an abandoned new driver though.
    Keep looking in the woods of the first hole on either course of Greensmere - mine's been acting up....
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Keep looking in the woods of the first hole on either course of Greensmere - mine's been acting up....
    great answer steveK , got a chuckle out of that response

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    A member of my club asked the RCGA answer guy this question. The answer he received was "No such an action is allowed" which he of course then proceeded to relay to the ProShop and our Senior Men's League. It took me a minute to see what was wrong and straighten everyone out. Who says commas are not important?

No! One would believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaPat View Post
    A member of my club asked the RCGA answer guy this question. The answer he received was "No such an action is allowed" which he of course then proceeded to relay to the ProShop and our Senior Men's League. It took me a minute to see what was wrong and straighten everyone out. Who says commas are not important?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Well the rules do say you must start and finish the round with the same brand of ball. So if you tee off with a Titleist PRO V you must play Pro V's the entire round. Unless that rule changed recently.

As for the broken tee incident. No penalty.

HOWEVER

One of the young lady's from my course had this happen to her in a stroke play event. She borrowed a tee from a playing partner on a Par 3 and was later assessed a penalty stoke on that hole for doing so. This was in a sanctioned event.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Actually, there is no one-ball requirement in the rules. In fact, if you splash down with a ProV 1, you can drop a Bridgestone when taking your drop. As I understand it, there are one ball rules specified in the Conditions of Competition on the PGA Tour, and other tours and events, but that is their choice only and not a requirement of the Rules. That said, every golfer playing in a tournament is required to comply with the Conditions of that competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Well the rules do say you must start and finish the round with the same brand of ball. So if you tee off with a Titleist PRO V you must play Pro V's the entire round. Unless that rule changed recently.

As for the broken tee incident. No penalty.

HOWEVER

One of the young lady's from my course had this happen to her in a stroke play event. She borrowed a tee from a playing partner on a Par 3 and was later assessed a penalty stoke on that hole for doing so. This was in a sanctioned event.

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    HOWEVER

Sanctioned by who? This is one of the most common misconceptions and is complete nonsense. Restrictions on borrowing things only applies to clubs. You can borrow anything else you want, balls, tees, towels, markers or whatever. It amazes me that this kind of thing actually does happen and incidents like this perpetuate the misconception.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Actually, there is no one-ball requirement in the rules. In fact, if you splash down with a ProV 1, you can drop a Bridgestone when taking your drop. As I understand it, there are one ball rules specified in the Conditions of Competition on the PGA Tour, and other tours and events, but that is their choice only and not a requirement of the Rules. That said, every golfer playing in a tournament is required to comply with the Conditions of that competition.

What I should have said was " A USGA, PGA, RCGA event" in regards to the golf ball rule. Sorry, I did not clarify that.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

How can an event be USGA and RCGA sanctioned?

I believe those commas were disjunctive not conjunctive.

How can an event be USGA and RCGA sanctioned?

Thread Information